What do ur leafs look like next year , if u were Lou

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Leafs trade #7OA + 2nd +3rd round picks to NYI for #5OA .... Leafs draft Luke Schenn
Leafs trade Luke Schenn to Philly for JVR
Leafs let JVR walk away for nothing.

Questionable asset management 101 !!!
vs.
Gamble to win the Cup this year ??

On the other hand ..

JVR (Cup or Bust) and letting a 30 goal scorer walk for free.
vs
NYR Traded • Rick Nash to Bruins for • Ryan Spooner • Ryan Lindgren • Matt Beleskey • 2018 first round pick.

If neither NYR nor Leafs win the Cup this year, who is better off going forward in terms of asset management?.

Asset management is all well and good, but we're looking to be heading to the playoffs while the Rangers look to be retooling or rebuilding. NYR did well to add to their potential future, but they're behind us in the present. Can't imagine they don't want to switch places as things currently stand, and we were in that position not too long ago of selling off a stagnant now for a hopeful later at the deadline.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
If I were Lou I would approach teams who will be making tough decisions with respect to their signings and those who may not have an environment in which their past record of decision making speaks to a weak management group. Three such examples are Washington and Montreal and San Jose and specifically Tom Wilson and Arturi Lehkonen and Justin Braun.

I don't think Washington lets Carlson go, but in retaining Carlson that presses the club into a very precarious situation to also retain Wilson. It's not an impossible situation per se, but if I were Lou I would be looking to see how I could exploit the potentially problematic scenario that pits the Caps' resources between their number one, right-handed shooting D and Tom Wilson, and I would use Matt Martin and his perfectly budgeted contract as an inroad to talks.

Same thing but perhaps less problematic would be Lehkonen. Montreal is in shambles and so long as Bergevin is in charge, the potential to mine depth and gamble on a hard-working, smart, young player who isn't living up to expectations seems like the kind of move we'd want to kick tires on having come out of the wash that's been the Plekanec deal thus far.

Similarly, the Sharks look like an organization that might be willing to part with certain pieces in the right deal considering Thornton and Burns and Pavelski's closing championship window. He might not be John Carlson, but Justin Braun is a right-handed shot on a good contract and good term left ($3.8 per until 2020)...And I'd look to move JVR (certainly on the condition the Sharks could sign him) for him and a pick (and/or a prospect) depending on the success of other moves. And again, there's a recent relationship we can draw upon.

As for promotion from within, if I'm Lou, I'm looking to bring Sparks up. Both he and Andreas Johnsson have earned promotion. There seems to be relative consensus here. I'd add - if I'm Lou - I revisit Justin Holl who looked great when he was up and, he shoots right.

I'd pitch the above mentioned as follows:

To WSH: Matt Martin + Josh Leivo
To TOR: Tom Wilson
--------------------------
To MTL: Freddie Gauthier + Andrew Nielsen
To TOR: Artturi Lehkonen
To SJS: JVR
To TOR: Justin Braun + Dylan Gambrell + 2018 6th

Tyler Bozak is a bit of a conundrum for me. If he's signed to decent salary/term, I think he fits need in terms of depth. And when looking at the free-agents available, what he brings, etc...Bozie isn't that bad a depth move really.

There's a few higher profile moves I'd attempt, but not worth opening up a can of worms here over. Suffice it to say, I think we could improve our D from without while getting deeper at C still.

All things (I've) considered the 2018/2019 salary could be around 65 million on the ice excl. Horton, Kessel, etc...leaving room for a signing or two. And ideally, for the 2019/2020 Season we would be positioned to sign Matthews, Marner and still have position (perhaps with adjustment) to target Doughty (or better secondary options) with Gardiner and Hainsey's contracts expiring. Surely Liljegren is ready by then and Borgman, Holl and Carrick have one or the other supplemented our need at depth while Dermott continues to improve.

Lastly, this upcoming draft is reportedly D-heavy, so I think rather than move down from our present number, I'd stand pat and select the best player available. If there's a run on D, we might be left with better than expected quality at F even at our lower drafting position. Speaking of bpa, if I were Lou, we'd have (and I'm on record here prior to the draft in question) one of Carter Hart or Kale Clague in the fold rather than Korshekov (sp?). So this draft, needless to say, if I'm Lou, I'm looking at best player available irrespective of position because we need increased depth at every position.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Willie gets moved to C next season. We lose Bozak, Plekanec, and Moore to FA if we don't re-sign them...and after that we don't have any NHL quality players in the system except maybe Aaltonen, but he is untested at this level. I don't see Gauthier in the NHL any time soon, if at all, as a Cup contending #4 center...maybe an extra guy in case of injury. Assuming we keep this Marleau, Kadri, Marner line in tact, maybe something like this? We'll probably patch up the #4 slot with another UFA signing like Moore...but just counting on the players currently likely to be under contract next season...I guess Aaltonen.

I'm not really going to try to guess what Dubas (or whoever GM is) does in FA and with trades...I have a feeling it won't be overly dramatic, more like adding some depth, especially down the middle. I seriously doubt that we'll be packaging away a shitload of young talent (like Johnsson, Bracco, Kapanen, Rasanen, etc + picks) to add a core player. With the roster posted below, clearly additions need to be made, but mostly in terms of depth. We lose three of our bottom six from this season (Komarov, Bozak, JvR), and while Johnsson looks like he could slot in very nicely, we can't really rely on three guys with 0 NHL experience (Johnsson, Aaltonen, and Grundstrom), to fill those shoes seamlessly. I like the direction our D and goaltending are moving in though. Dermott will be pushing for more responsibility next season. He's much better than Zaitsev, and deserves that top 4 spot. We'll see if Polak returns, or if Marincin gets brought in for his PK prowess. Borgman and Rosen will be back fighting for spots. Liljegren has improved leaps and bounds with the Marlies, we'll see what he shows next season. Might turn a few heads. We don't have an incredible top end, but the depth is looking really good. Same in net. Freddy is a great starter, and Sparks is looking great in the AHL, I think he's ready as a backup for sure, and McElhinney has been solid since he joined the Leafs. But yeah, forward is a little bit scary. Losing Soshnikov along with the aforementioned three really hurts. Makes me wonder if we'll consider bringing one or two of JvR, Leo, and Bozie back.

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Nylander - Brown
Martin - Aaltonen - Grundstrom
Ex. Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I could see both Marleau and Hainsey playing much smaller roles next year. Both are only getting worse as the season progresses.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If I was Dubas*** since he's taking over

Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Leivo/Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Leivo/Hyman-Aaltonen-Whoever

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev

Andersen-Pickard

In other words, pretty much what my post TD roster would've been since I would've sold UFAs

This line up will get destroyed nightly lol. Lou, Dubas or whoever better sign/trade for a defenseman and sign a legitimate 3rd line center who can play a shut down role. Ala Backlund, let Kadri loose offensively with Marner and Marleau. Bring back JVR or sign a legit scoring threat.

JVR/UFA - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Backlund - Kapanen
Hyman - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - UFA/Trade
Gardiner - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Bergman

Andersen/McBackup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This line up will get destroyed nightly lol. Lou, Dubas or whoever better sign/trade for a defenseman and sign a legitimate 3rd line center who can play a shut down role. Ala Backlund, let Kadri loose offensively with Marner and Marleau. Bring back JVR or sign a legit scoring threat.

JVR/UFA - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Backlund - Kapanen
Hyman - Aaltonen - Brown

Rielly - UFA/Trade
Gardiner - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Bergman

Andersen/McBackup
Backlund just signed a deal with Calgary.
What happens next year?
We try to find a 3 and 4C, look for a player like Grabner to replace JVR and keep Gardiner as an own rental.
Thats what I would guess.

Reactions: francis246

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
On JVR, Lou didn't trade for him, so it isn't his asset managmenent. We still may resign JVR based on his playoffs. If Bozak walks, that is life. The Leafs are trying their best to win a round. If JVR goes pyscho as he did with Philly against Boston many years ago and wins a round for us, he might get resigned. Babcock wants and needs depth, I don't see how Lou could trade our UFA's, we added.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Zach Hyman - Auston Matthews (C) - Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau - William Nylander - Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson - Nazem Kadri - Connor Brown
Carl Grundstrom - Miro Aaltonen - Josh Leivo

Morgan Rielly - John Carlson
Travis Dermott - Nikita Zaitsev
Jake Gardiner - Ron Hainsey

Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

FWIW Originally had Gardiner traded and Hainsey-Liljegren.

Reactions: Duke16

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For people making lines in a what does Lou do thread, forget that it's not Lou making the lines.
A re-signed JVR is not playing with Matthews. Hasn't happened in 2 years. There is also no guarantee that Babcock even likes Willy at C long term. Fill in for emergency, ok. But it hasn't even been established yet. What Lou is likely to do is confer with Babs on some good pro players.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
whats up with everyone signing Tavares and 10M+

how the hell do you afford all of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kappy, Gardiner, Marleau, Kadri, Rielly

???

You can’t.

If the Leafs want JT and then sign the big three, Marleau likely has to go. And probably one of Gardiner or Zaitsev (at least in ge longer term).

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
I would shed and allow internal growth. Up front:
  • Sign Tavares 8 years @ $9m or under. If he wants to win, he will have to buy in just as Stamkos did.
  • Extend Nylander at $6.5m x 6
  • let Bozak, JVR, and Pleks walk. The logjam will be clear for those who deserve their shot. I don't want to the Leafs to build a reputation as a system that overseasons and hampers the development of players when they can slot into the lineup of many other teams.
  • re-sign Uncle Leo for 3 years @ $2.5m and play him at C full-time. Although regressing, he is still our most dependable forward on defence and along with Marleau, provides all the veteran leadership we need). Besides I'd probably have to pry him out of Babcock's cold, dead hands.
  • experiment with playing Leivo and Kappy on their off wings to see if they can open up some lineup flexibility. My hope is that somebody eventually does Hyman's workhorse job better (Kappy maybe) so we can push him to the 4th.
  • Leivo and Kadri match well with their bruising playstyle. Kappy will drive the line with zone entry and creativity. This will be an energetic, grinding 3rd line.
  • Every line below has at least one player that can play effectively off the puck
  • Trade Martin for anything mid-season. He'll be a good buffer until one of our prospects is stable enough to fill his place.
  • Johnsson will make the team out of camp as the extra forward splitting time with Martin. He'll eventually displace somebody out of the bottom two LW slots on the depth chart. Martin trade could open up a late-season look at Grundstrom.
  • Hope to god Bracco has a significant full season in the AHL.
Defence:
  • Gardiner is a conundrum. I definately trade him at the draft, but for what is the question. Gards is going to command more money than he's worth as a free agent and has high value now. I would go for a combination of a promising forward/RHD prospect and a mid-late 1st rounder. A young roster RHD like Dumba/Montour will require too significant an add as their teams already have LD depth. Adding for Barrie kinda makes sense due to the contract and because he is somewhat expendable with Makar and Timmins in the pipeline, but I wouldn't do it considering focus should go towards defensive responsibility.
  • With that in mind, I'd trade Carrick for the best available offer...hopefully a 3rd or 4th. His extension is something someone else can worry about.
  • The #1 trade target I would totally overpay for is Josh Manson. Forget Tanev. Of course Anaheim doesn't really have a reason to trade him...unless they take a dip in the standings. In that perfect storm, maybe some future talent on the wing will entice them. I can't figure out a firm offer atm but I'm willing to part with a combination of a first round pick, and two or more of anyone 25 or under (outside of the big three, Rielly, Dermott, Kappy, and Liljegren). Perhaps Gardiner comes into the picture here to sweeten the pot, even though they don't have a big reason to take him.
  • Liljegren(19) is called up late in the season.
This gives us the firm lineup below:

Hyman(26) - Matthews(21) - Nylander(22)
Marleau(38) - Tavares(28) - Marner(21)
Leivo(25) - Kadri(28) - Kapanen(22)
Martin(29) - Komarov(32) - Brown(25)

Rielly(24) - Manson(27)
Dermott(22) - Zaitsev(27)
Borgman(23) - Hainsey(37)

Andersen(29)
McElhinney(35)​

Let's say the cap doesn't change...we have roughly $6.5m to use for some extra insurance on D and to patch other holes(on one year contracts at most). This leaves roughly $23m the next year to extend the other big RFAs. Let's say Marner and Matthews sign for roughly $18m combined, $5m is left for Kapanen and any others. With an increasing cap I think we'll be able to adjust on the fly from there, considering Marleau falls off the cap.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It will really depends on the playoffs and draft lottery.
If Islanders, Habs, Yokes, Canes or Nucks win the lottery, it might sway JT to those teams.
I think JT is someone the Leafs should be very aggressive towards. Signing him set the roster.

As for Defense, Lou really needs to look at Borgman and Holl, can those two play and be physical.

Carrick should be use as trade chips for a physical Dmen.

As for other UFA, Thornton and Nash are good fit

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

how the hell do you afford all of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kappy, Gardiner, Marleau, Kadri, Rielly

???
you can't, and so Gardiner and Nylander will eventually have to go, Marleau will go back to SanJose in the 3rd year with Leafs retaining 50%(so he can retire a shark). Kapanen will get similar money to Brown and Kadri and Rielly have 4 more years left on their current deals, and retaining them won't be easy but still possible, the line-up in two years will be full of low cost kids on ELC's and RFA contracts surrounding a deep core of Matthews, Tavares, Kadri Marner, Hyman Brown, Rielly and Dermott

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hyman (2.25) - Matthews (11) - Nylander (7)
Grundstrom (1) - Tavares (11) - Kapanen (1)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (7)
Johnsson (1) - Gauthier/Aaltonen (1) - Brown (2.5)
Leivo (1) - Gauthier/Aaltonen (1)

Forwards - $56.5M

Rielly (5) - Hainsey (3)
Gardiner (4.5) - Carrick (1.5)
Dermott (1) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Borgman (1)

Defense - $20.5M

Andersen (5)
Sparks (1)

Goalies - $6M

Total - $83M

Considering the Cap is supposed to go up to around $80M in 2018/19, and the Matthews and Marner contracts won't kick in until 2019/20, there should be absolutely no issues fitting Tavares in with our current group next year, and Marleau could be the sole casualty from this roster beyond next season.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hyman (2.25) - Matthews (11) - Nylander (7)
Grundstrom (1) - Tavares (11) - Kapanen (1)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (7)
Johnsson (1) - Gauthier/Aaltonen (1) - Brown (2.5)
Leivo (1) - Gauthier/Aaltonen (1)

Forwards - $56.5M

Rielly (5) - Hainsey (3)
Gardiner (4.5) - Carrick (1.5)
Dermott (1) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Borgman (1)

Defense - $20.5M

Andersen (5)
Sparks (1)

Goalies - $6M

Total - $83M

Considering the Cap is supposed to go up to around $80M in 2018/19, and the Matthews and Marner contracts won't kick in until 2019/20, there should be absolutely no issues fitting Tavares in with our current group next year, and Marleau could be the sole casualty from this roster beyond next season.

there is no way the Leafs are paying 7m for either Marner or Nylander....6 -6.5 tops and Marner will get the bigger number

If Tavares asked who he was getting for wingers and he was told that, he'll sign back in Long Island

if the Leafs sign him he'll more then likely get Marleau and Brown

Kapanen would play with Kadri and Magic...ohh the speed and trickery

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
there is no way the Leafs are paying 7m for either Marner or Nylander....6 -6.5 tops and Marner will get the bigger number

If Tavares asked who he was getting for wingers and he was told that, he'll sign back in Long Island

if the Leafs sign him he'll more then likely get Marleau and Brown

Kapanen would play with Kadri and Magic...ohh the speed and trickery
I agree with you regarding the contracts - I specifically aimed high (better than intentionally aiming low), but expect that Nylander's and Marner's at least would be lower than what I showed.

The lines are simply what I think could work - JT has the talent to make players around him better, and it would keep our current 1st and 2nd lines intact while simply adding another 1st/2nd line to our roster. I doubt Babcock would make any guarantees regarding JT's Wingers in the off-season anyway - He might have some ideas, but they'd have to play around with chemistry in the pre-season.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
How do you afford Doughty then next year if Tavares is going to sign here as well?

???

The answer to these questions: dump Zaitsev and Martin.

Hyman 2.25 - Matthews 10 - Nylander 6
Grundstrom 0.925 - Tavares 10 - Marner 6
Marleau 6.25 - Kadri 4.5 - Brown 2.1
Johnsson 0.85 - Aaltonen 0.85 - Kapanen 1.8

Dermott 0.85 - Doughty 9
Rielly 5 - Pateryn 3
Borgman 0.925 - Liljegren 0.925

Andersen 5
Pickard 0.85

Cap hit with Kessel: 79M. Marleau comes off the books the following season.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Easily move one of Marner and Nylander for Tavares
Bringing in Tavares should mean that one of Gardiner or Zaitsev go 2 or 3 years down the line. If there's any scenario where it costs us one of Marner or Nylander, we should back away.

And I don't believe the ridiculous return we'd get for Marner/Nylander would necessarily make it worth it - We either get a package of quantity over quality that isn't worth giving up such a valuable asset, or we end up with another potential superstar that still needs to get paid in a year or two.

I mean, obviously we'd need to see what the actual returns and dollar amounts were and everything, but giving up on Marner or Nylander to facilitate the acquisition of a UFA seems very unwise to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->