What do ur leafs look like next year , if u were Lou

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Re-sign Nylander long term, 6x6million
Re-sign Komarov to home discount deal, 2yrs for 4 million.

Trade Gardiner, Brown, Leivo, Carrick, 2018 1st Rounder to Edmonton for RNH (25% retained) and Klefbom
Trade Martin and McEhlinney for picks to who ever

Sign Carlson to 4x6million contract
Sign Letestu to 3x2.5million contract

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-RNH-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-Letestu-Grundstrom

Reilly-Carlson
Dermott-Zaitsev
Klefbom-Hainsey

Anderssen
Sparks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You have to understand my POV. That is a lot of faith in your drafting, like a lot of faith. I mean enough to make me concerned.

The good thing when you have $$$ is that you can compensate for your inability to draft and development if you spend it wisely. So far Hunter has hit on Matthews (ok a no brainer), Marner and Dermott. Z and Borgman were free. They traded for Hyman and Kappy. They signed Martin, Marleau and Hainsey. Nothing to complain about so far with this regime or to raise any concern that they don't know what they are doing (other than Polak and their use of Leivo :)).

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm not going to get specific because it takes 2 sides to want to make a deal so I'll just put forth a plan

Upgrade D
------------
Plan A: Ryan Murray: struggled so far in NHL with Injuries but if he can get by that he could be a solid top 4 guy. would be willing to only really give up a combination of secondary pieces(Carrick/Nielson/Bracco/Timashov/2nd/3rd etc.) if required to give up the 2nd I would look to trade down in the 1st to recoup that 2nd, assuming we don't have a liljegren situation again. Sign him to a 2 year 3.25 million. I think this is low risk with a fairly high reward. other targets via trade would be Ceci/Tanev but again only be willing to move secondary pieces
Plan B: offer Carlson 5 years 6 million per if he is available on July 1st, and yes I know he probably doesn't take it
Plan C: look more at the a short term UFA vet: Hamhuis/Emelin/Cole

Sign a 4th line center
------------------------
late August: short term: guys in no particular order Letestu/Stajan/Beagle/Josefson etc. 1-2 year 1-1.25 million

Sell
------
Matt Martin - prefer not to retain would take best offer
Leivo - take best offer

Big powerforward winger to play in top 9
-----------------------------
Plan A: Rick Nash 1 year 6 million
Plan B: Trade targets: Josh Anderson/Foligno/Nelson/Connolly again would only look to use secondary pieces. wouldn't trade for both a Dmen and a winger don't want to lose that much secondary pieces in one summer
Plan C: Maroon 1 year 1.5 million
Plan D: trade for a prospect close to NHL ready not sure who fits this bill
Plan E: don't trade Leivo

Re-sign
--------
Offer contracts
Matthews: 8 years 11 million
Marner: 8 years 6 million
Nylander: 8 years 6 million, if not willing sign to bridge 4.5 per for 3 years
Carrick: 2 year 2.5 million
Gardiner: 5 year 5 million, I would also listen to trade offers but someone would need to overpay and therefore would set a huge price tag on him.
Komarov: 1 year 1.5 million

these are max's that I would go if there not willing to sign these then I wouldn't re-sign them other then Nylander and Carrick who are the ones who have to be re-signed. obviously threw negotiating if I could get them for less I would. if Komarov doesn't re-sign would look at some PTO's and have them compete with some prospects for the final winger spots.

Brown Matthews Hyman
PF? Nylander Marner
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Komarov UFA C Johnsson
Prospect

Reilly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
D Upgrade Dermott
Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney/Pickard

obviously the D pairing change depending on which plan comes to fruition

Reactions: Its not your fault

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The good thing when you have $$$ is that you can compensate for your inability to draft and development if you spend it wisely. So far Hunter has hit on Matthews (ok a no brainer), Marner and Dermott. Z and Borgman were free. They traded for Hyman and Kappy. They signed Martin, Marleau and Hainsey. Nothing to complain about so far with this regime or to raise any concern that they don't know what they are doing (other than Polak and their use of Leivo :)).

Or not bringing up Dermott earlier, or not trading JVR or Bozak earlier in season and not lose young players like Soshnikov. I guess its all part of their plan and your right but we cant complain. Believe in the regime!!!! All is well. No complaints here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Or not bringing up Dermott earlier, or not trading JVR or Bozak earlier in season and not lose young players like Soshnikov. I guess its all part of their plan and your right but we cant complain. Believe in the regime!!!! All is well. No complaints here.

The Buff GM was roasted because he traded Kane for less than market value. He said, it was my only offer, what was I supposed to do? leafs tried to move JVR in the offseason and it did not work out. Would you have preferred they trade him below market value ? Nothing wrong with bringing up a player (especially a dman) later than earlier. Not losing any sleep over losing Sosh for a 4th.

I'll assume you are being sarcastic when you say "Believe in the regime!!!! All is well. No complaints here" but in reality this management team has done well. If anything to have the onions to tank when Matthews was the prize. After 50+ years of Leaf mgmt ineptitude (Ballard, Punch Imlach #2, Stellick, Floyd Smith, Burkie, Nonis, Fletch #2, Tom Watt, Nykoluk, Ron Wilson etc. etc. etc) no true Leaf fan should be bitching about what this mgmt team has done to date. Sit back and enjoy the second year in a row of playoff hockey. You won't feel as bad when we reach the holy land.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Sign Nylander for 6 x 6
Sign Derek Ryan for 1 x 1.4
Sign komarov is cheap for 1 year
Extend gardiner for 5 x 6.+
Sign Matthews for 8 x 9+

Trade Connor Brown for Mark Pysyk as a base of a deal

Inquire about Klefbom if the oilers are really going to deal him
Inquire about tanev if he's going to be dealt
Inquire about Kevin hayes

Trade Martin to a cap floor team with a 4th/5th for a 6th and no retention

Sign a LW to replace JVR/komarov along with one of grundstrom/johnsson.
Comeau/Calvert/Versteeg type

Hyman Matthews Nylander
UFA Kadri Marner
Marleau Ryan Kapanen
Johnsson Aaltonen grundstrom/komarov if cheap

Rielly - Hainsey
gardiner - pysyk
Dermott - zaitsev

Andersen
Pickard/Sparks

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'd try and sign JT.
I'd try to acquire a 2nd pair RHD. Use Gardiner as the main trade chip. Basically, try and get a similar player that is a RHD.
Convince Polak to retire and take a job within the organization. Then hide his equipment so he can't unretire.

Reactions: IWD

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
EZ-PZ

Gardiner to the Wings for AA

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander

Marleau - Kadri - Marner

Kapanen - Athanasiou - Brown

Martin - Aaltonen/Gauthier - Leivo

Carlson(7X6.5) - Rielly

Dermott - Zaitsev

Borgman - Carrick/Rosen

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
re-sign Reemer for 4 years @ 6.5 million
Nylander for 7 years @ 6 million
trade 1st+Bracco+2nd for Kreider
Carlson for 7 years @ 7 million
trade Zaitsev for RNH
trade Rasanen + 2019 1st for Tanev
trade Leivo for 4th

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kreider - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - RNH - Hyman

Rielly - Carlson
Gardiner - Tanev
Dermott-Liljegren

Andersen
Sparks

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have a Matthews concern. Not being privy to team medical knowledge directly, I would like to know more info on the nature of his Back injury.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If I was Dubas*** since he's taking over

Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Leivo/Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Leivo/Hyman-Aaltonen-Whoever

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
Borgman-Zaitsev

Andersen-Pickard

In other words, pretty much what my post TD roster would've been since I would've sold UFAs

You're leaving 20 million dollars in cap?

We do have room to sign JVR and Tavares if he is willing to take a short term deal. Obviously this is fantasy because JT would probably say no.

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Tavares - Nylander
JVR - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Aaltonen - Hyman

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There aren't a lot of changes I would make for this team, but I believe the fight for position battles is going to be huge.

There's 2 trades that I make:

1. Trade for Brent Seabrook --- retained to sit around the 4.5 mark. I think Chicago is at a crossroads and this is the off-season that they will look to make some significant moves. I know this take is probably going to have some criticism, but having a guy like that on this team would be huge. Likely Gardiner going the other way.

2. Trade for Craig Smith from Nashville -- I'm not sure what a deal looks like for this. But the Preds have Johansen, Bonino, Turris as 3 centres and all are being paid north of 4mill starting next season. I think you could do this before free agency. Trade the rights to JVR, Brown + prospect.

Signing:
Jay Beagle - 2 year, 1.5 mill per

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrum - Smith - Kapanen
Johnsson - Beagle - Leivo
Martin

Rielly - Seabrook
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Hainsey

Andersen
McElhinney

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
re-sign Reemer for 4 years @ 6.5 million
Nylander for 7 years @ 6 million
trade 1st+Bracco+2nd for Kreider
Carlson for 7 years @ 7 million
trade Zaitsev for RNH
trade Rasanen + 2019 1st for Tanev
trade Leivo for 4th

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kreider - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - RNH - Hyman

Rielly - Carlson
Gardiner - Tanev
Dermott-Liljegren

Andersen
Sparks
Would be the the deepest team in the league down the middle. Just can’t see the leafs bringing RNH in at 6m to be the fourth line center. If they was to trade for him I feel like Nylander would end up staying on the wing. JVR - Matthews - Nylander Krieder - RNH - Marner Marleau - kadri - brown (shutdown line) Johnsson - Aaltonen - hyman Doubtful Babcock puts hyman on fourth line tho lol he has a hard on for hyman he hasn’t seen a shift off the first line all season

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Would be the the deepest team in the league down the middle. Just can’t see the leafs bringing RNH in at 6m to be the fourth line center. If they was to trade for him I feel like Nylander would end up staying on the wing. JVR - Matthews - Nylander Krieder - RNH - Marner Marleau - kadri - brown (shutdown line) Johnsson - Aaltonen - hyman Doubtful Babcock puts hyman on fourth line tho lol he has a hard on for hyman he hasn’t seen a shift off the first line all season
yeah there would have to be some retention and stuff for sure. And if I was GM I would get Babcock to at least try it out

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
You're leaving 20 million dollars in cap?

We do have room to sign JVR and Tavares if he is willing to take a short term deal. Obviously this is fantasy because JT would probably say no.

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Tavares - Nylander
JVR - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Aaltonen - Hyman
Yes since we have 3 f***ing kids due to take up pretty much all that cap space on their new contracts so signing a JVR for the same contract as a Marner/Nylander would get who wouldn't be able to fit in the cap later is dumb as hell

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
yeah there would have to be some retention and stuff for sure. And if I was GM I would get Babcock to at least try it out
I’d still love to see Nylander go to center next year. A sheltered line of Johnsson - Nylander - kapanen would be exciting but if they aren’t gonna commit nylander at center picking up RNH in a deal that Edmonton retains like 2m would be a great pick up I don’t know what u would have to give up is all.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
There aren't a lot of changes I would make for this team, but I believe the fight for position battles is going to be huge.

There's 2 trades that I make:

1. Trade for Brent Seabrook --- retained to sit around the 4.5 mark. I think Chicago is at a crossroads and this is the off-season that they will look to make some significant moves. I know this take is probably going to have some criticism, but having a guy like that on this team would be huge. Likely Gardiner going the other way.

2. Trade for Craig Smith from Nashville -- I'm not sure what a deal looks like for this. But the Preds have Johansen, Bonino, Turris as 3 centres and all are being paid north of 4mill starting next season. I think you could do this before free agency. Trade the rights to JVR, Brown + prospect.

Signing:
Jay Beagle - 2 year, 1.5 mill per

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrum - Smith - Kapanen
Johnsson - Beagle - Leivo
Martin

Rielly - Seabrook
Dermott - Zaitsev
Rosen - Hainsey

Andersen
McElhinney

Presds fan here. Smith has had very little time at the NHL level as a center.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Its tough to guess proposals right now just because It's so early to be judging values. But with that being said, I think its a guarantee JVR isnt coming back. Bozak im 50/50 on. Komarov I expect to be back, just because I think Babcock values him so highly. We will also look for a top 4 RD defense man.

My prediction:
-Bozak Resigns
-Komarov Re-signs
-JVR/Moore/Polak/Leivo/Plekanec all gone
-We acquire Trouba with a deal based around Connor Brown+

Hyman-Mathews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bozak-Kapanen
Martin-Aaltonen-Komarov
Gauthier

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Trouba
Dermott-Zaitsev

Anderson

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Presds fan here. Smith has had very little time at the NHL level as a center.

In your opinion, could he play as a 3rd line centre?

Also, I think JVR would be a great fit on Nashville. Put him down the line-up and let him score 25.

Not sure what other pieces Nashville would need to part with Smith?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In your opinion, could he play as a 3rd line centre?

Also, I think JVR would be a great fit on Nashville. Put him down the line-up and let him score 25.

Not sure what other pieces Nashville would need to part with Smith?

Well he's a career 40% on the face off dot and hasn't really gotten better in the limited opportunities he's had. Additionally he's sheltered (less than 40% d-zone starts).

I don't think he's a guy to target for a 3rd line centre role.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Just for shits and giggles

To Colorado: Gardiner, Sparks
To Toronto:Barrie

Sign Tavares 11x7, DeHaan 4x4.5, Vermette 1x1.5

Lines

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnnson Kadri Kapanen
Grundstrom Vermette Brown