What did we offer for E. Karlsson?

E. Karlsson to Vegas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Any idea on what was offered to the Senators for Karlsson?

(I'm 100% fine on us not getting him, actually I think there was a good chance of trashing our future in one single deal)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
People overvalue how much future assets are worth on here. I don't know enough about what was offered to say we would have been the clear winners but we would have gotten the best player in the trade. We would not have decimated the franchise in any way had we gotten him/ if we get him in the summer.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I do think some here are undervalue our need for futures, we have some prospects but one draft is nowhere near enough, while it is highly unlikely we get a Karlsson level player out of the draft we do need people in the system and Karlsson would require a few high end picks and what little futures we do have.

Then you need to take into account his next contract which will be massive, whether we can actually get him to sign said contract and probably the biggest concern fans have his injuries especially the foot he had operated on in the offseason so we might not get the player we think we are getting.

The Tatar trade was pretty good we give up a very late 1st this year a 2nd another year and a 3rd another year.

Personally though I am relieved the deal fell through... I didn’t like what we were giving up

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Friedman said on the radio today in Vancouver that he believes it was 2 1sts, a conditional pick based on him signing and one of their top prospects. Can't remember about anything else though, but that was the jist of it

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It feels like the Sens were sitting back and expecting add after add, without any intention of trading him before the summer. Just building value.

Since GMGM went with Tatar, it seems like a Karlsson trade is dead now. No way he adds Ryan’s contract after Tatar and maybe keeping Perron in the summer.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If it was even remotely in the realm of what it took Yzerman to steal (err...I mean traded I guess?) McDonagh from the Rags, McPhee should be kicking himself for not getting EK.

McDonagh, a top ~10-15 defenseman in the league was traded for a 3rd liner, marginal prospects, and the latest slots that picks can get in the first round. Absolute thievery.

I have a feeling Ottawa was having none of that and just gauging value in the chance Karlsson wants to go elsewhere in the summer. I am skeptical if that were the types of offers they were getting, he was ever realistically going to be moved. I think a lot of it was deadline hype by TSN to get people to watch their lame show. Dorion would be lynched in the streets if EK went for what McD fetched.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Why Karlsson, Pacioretty deadline deals fell flat - Sportsnet.ca

Freidman on why/how EK65 deal fell out
On Karlsson, my sense is the Vegas trade fell apart because of how the purchase price would be adjusted by Bobby Ryan’s inclusion. I’m not 100 per cent sure if it was Ottawa’s ask or Vegas’s offer, but one of the rumblings is that the teams were talking two first-rounders, a high-level prospect and a conditional pick for Karlsson — the condition being whether or not the Golden Knights re-signed him. Whatever the case, it didn’t happen and I can’t imagine Vegas would have been willing to do all that if they were taking Ryan’s contract, too.

Sounds like Ottawa got suggestions from teams they might pay more (for only EK65) at draft. Ottawa has a first they owe Colorado, so that may play into their decision as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad