What did Ovechkin and Malkin do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Mothra said:
I used to feel the same way.....then two things happened.

1) I watched the playoffs from the stands as my team still won....but I could not join in the celebration

2) I grew up

Right.

It's human nature to get mad at things, but you have to control your anger. You can't just justify violence because somebody made you mad. Real life doesn't work like that, and neither does hockey.

By the same token, you need to control your excitement so that you do not go overboard like some of the Russian players did last night. Very few people are argueing that they didn't. I just don't really have a big problem with what the Russians did. Some arrogant and a little childish celebrating is no big deal to me.

Suckerpunching somebody in the face, or cross checking them in the face, or doing whatever other physical harm that a lot of people are childishly reccomending the Canadian team does to Ovechkin or Malkin or Shirokov or whomever, I would have a bigger problem with.

There's no place for that anywhere. Clean hits? Yes, that's part of hockey. But there's a fine line that can't be crossed, no matter what happens.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Celebrating is fine... the goal that made it 3-2 with the whole ear thing, I wouldn't go out and try and smash him through the boards after that one.

When you score an empty netter to make it 6-2 and act as if you just scored the Cup clinching goal and you skate in front of the opposition's bench to talk crap... that's about the point where I would want to punch you in the face. If you're playing a competitive hockey game and you don't get pissed off by actions like that, you're not playing with any kind of passion or fire.

So to sum it up, celebrations after a meaningful goal, great. Taunting the oppositions bench after a meaningless goal.. not really the best of ideas.

Not one of you thinks it's classless to taunt the other team's bench after a meaningless empty net goal?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I finally had a chance to watch most of the game tonite after hearing what happened last night and I must agree that many of the Russian players were absolutely class-less. I'd LOVE to see Malkin taunt a bench in the NHL after he scores an empty net goal.

Being Canadian, I am obviously going for the home side tomorrow, but win or lose, I hope we hurt a few of the Russian players now. I can't believe I just said that, it is just as bad of sportsmanship as the Russians displayed, but it's true.

Phaneuf, Webber.......... hit to hurt boys, hit to hurt.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
The Russians are a disgrace to the game of hockey and to their country. What they did was unnaceptable. If they try this sh*t in the NHL they will be going home in a bodybag. Constantly diving and knocking the net off the entire game.

Then hotdoggin and taunting the bench after every single goal they scored. Then they won't come off the bench after. This is not how you play hockey. What would Don Cherry think of these punks? They are going to learn respect the hard way. MARK MY WORDS.

Ovechkin/Malkin = Classless sleazebags

I dare them to try this against Canada.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
chapel113x said:
The Russians are a disgrace to the game of hockey and to their country. What they did was unnaceptable. If they try this sh*t in the NHL they will be going home in a bodybag. Constantly diving and knocking the net off the entire game.

Then hotdoggin and taunting the bench after every single goal they scored. Then they won't come off the bench after. This is not how you play hockey. What would Don Cherry think of these punks? They are going to learn respect the hard way. MARK MY WORDS.

Ovechkin/Malkin = Classless slezebags

I don't fully agree with your post... but I can bet with Weber and Phaneuf against these guys, they won't be trying this.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
chapel113x said:

Ovechkin/Malkin = Classless slezebags

all this from someone who has a serial killer for an avatar

priceless

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jtuzzi21 said:
I don't fully agree with your post... but I can bet with Weber and Phaneuf against these guys, they won't be trying this.

It probably wouldn't have happened last year with Mark Stuart as the U.S. captain either. That was one of the key elements missing on this year's team: toughness on the blueline.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Mothra said:
all this from someone who has a serial killer for an avatar

priceless

Shouldn't you be watching a bunch of showboating disrespectful turds jumping into the bench and acting like morons after every goal they score?

I DARE Ovechkin or Malkin to do this against the Leafs, Blues or Flames. They will never make that mistake again.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
jtuzzi21 said:

What do you disagree with? That game was an embarassment to the game of hockey.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
jaydub said:
The thing is, taunting does bring on retaliation. The goal of taunting is to get your opponent angry. What do you think will happen when your opponent gets angry? Perhaps in a physical sport he will try to take it out physically. This is what happened. Don't whine about boarding or slashing calls when it was brought on for obvious reasons. That stuff may fly in the motherland , but in the NHL it will result in Chris Pronger giving you a crosscheck to the face, and no one on your team or the opposing team will think you didn't deserve it

What a bloodthirsty crowd. Retaliation and physical injury as remedies for taunting...some people got their values screwed up in a sad way.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
chapel113x said:
I DARE Ovechkin or Malkin to do this against the Leafs, Blues or Flames. They will never make that mistake again.

Guess you havent seen much Mathew Barnaby then......

and what will they do....break into their house and shoot them while they sleep like your hero Richard Ramirez? yea...thats a real class guy

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
chapel113x said:
What do you disagree with? That game was an embarassment to the game of hockey.
The part how the Americans were taking runs at the Russians all game. I don't agree with what the Russians did, but the Americans arent angels in this. The American team this year lacked toughness, as Rabid Ranger says.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
chapel113x said:

Ovechkin/Malkin = Classless sleazebags

Wake up, this is about sport not about war. I think you are in need of clear thinking, sedatives and basic values.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Mothra said:
Guess you havent seen much Mathew Barnaby then......

and what will they do....break into their house and shoot them while they sleep like your hero Richard Ramirez? yea...thats a real class guy

Quit acting like a comedian. If this is the future of the NHL, I think i'll stick to junior hockey. I've only seen Ovechkin a few times, and he showboats after EVERY SINGLE GOAL. Before the game he pretends he's shooting at the net and celebrates. What the hell is wrong with him?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ryz said:
Being Canadian, I am obviously going for the home side tomorrow, but win or lose, I hope we hurt a few of the Russian players now. I can't believe I just said that, it is just as bad of sportsmanship as the Russians displayed, but it's true.

Phaneuf, Webber.......... hit to hurt boys, hit to hurt.

Yeah, way to go. Violence is the answer to these deadly serious crimes against the pride of true hockey.
Make sure your future kids will embrace these values. The world will be a better place.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Boucicaut said:
Yeah, way to go. Violence is the answer to these deadly serious crimes against the pride of true hockey.
Make sure your future kids will embrace these values. The world will be a better place.

There's nothing wrong with a clean body check or open ice hitting. There IS something wrong with knocking off the net on purpose, diving and acting like you just cured cancer after you score every goal.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I missed this game but it really seems like a whole lot of nothing... you know, simple Don Cherry fodder.

Seems like it'll make a surging U.S. - Russia rivalry that much more heated.

As for celebrating an empty netter... pretty lame. However, an empty-net goal is basically a sign that a game is won... which means they may have been celebrating the assured victory more than anything.

As a fan of the U.S. team I'd likely be irritated but other than that I'd hold off judgement. As for accusations of taunting the crowd... if the crowd can taunt the players, the players can taunt the crowd.

And you think these guys don't taunt each other all game? What kinds of things do you imagine they say to each other at the faceoff circle?

Everyone saying "let's see them try this in the NHL... they'll get murdered", you say it as if you think it should happen. And shame on you. The "I've got your number" crap ends up with broken necks. Kovalchuk celebrated an empty-netter and the worst beating he got was from Don Cherry's angry tongue. Frankly, he deserved to celebrate after a big hat trick during a very trying time for the team.

I prefer a guy who scores and doesn't blink, or perhaps settles for high-fiving a guy. However, most people like a bit of showboating, and I can't say I do not either. Every sport has it; hockey has the least of it. To be honest, it is probably a big part of what draws people to the other sports. I don't think it should be encouraged just to get ratings, but it is an issue that needs to be dealt with. These guys are kids, lets not forget.

If Canada or U.S. players did it, I'm guessing this would be a lot less of an issue.

Again, I didn't see what happened and I'm not sure if they crossed the proverbial line (yes, there is one). If they did, it still isn't something to get all hot and bothered over. Just like the players involved that much less and move on.

The real disgrace is the way the U.S. played Belarus and, judging by the score, Russia--hell, the whole tournament.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Evileye said:
Any true hockey fan knows that was a Slapshot reference.

Thanks for the info.
I've seen that movie about 25 years ago. No chance for remembering quotes from it.

IkeaMonkey*

Rob Paxon said:
I prefer a guy who scores and doesn't blink, or perhaps settles for high-fiving a guy. However, most people like a bit of showboating, and I can't say I do not either. Every sport has it; hockey has the least of it. To be honest, it is probably a big part of what draws people to the other sports. I don't think it should be encouraged just to get ratings, but it is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Exactly. People ***** about hockey not getting any popularity in the US, then people ***** when things like this "taunting" happens and it draws attention to the sport in a neutral(some will say its negative, but to the casual fan, its not) way.

pensfan04

Jan 3, 2005
North Dakota
Rob Paxon said:
I missed this game but it really seems like a whole lot of nothing... you know, simple Don Cherry fodder.

Seems like it'll make a surging U.S. - Russia rivalry that much more heated.

As for celebrating an empty netter... pretty lame. However, an empty-net goal is basically a sign that a game is won... which means they may have been celebrating the assured victory more than anything.

As a fan of the U.S. team I'd likely be irritated but other than that I'd hold off judgement. As for accusations of taunting the crowd... if the crowd can taunt the players, the players can taunt the crowd.

And you think these guys don't taunt each other all game? What kinds of things do you imagine they say to each other at the faceoff circle?

Everyone saying "let's see them try this in the NHL... they'll get murdered", you say it as if you think it should happen. And shame on you. The "I've got your number" crap ends up with broken necks. Kovalchuk celebrated an empty-netter and the worst beating he got was from Don Cherry's angry tongue. Frankly, he deserved to celebrate after a big hat trick during a very trying time for the team.

I prefer a guy who scores and doesn't blink, or perhaps settles for high-fiving a guy. However, most people like a bit of showboating, and I can't say I do not either. Every sport has it; hockey has the least of it. To be honest, it is probably a big part of what draws people to the other sports. I don't think it should be encouraged just to get ratings, but it is an issue that needs to be dealt with. These guys are kids, lets not forget.

If Canada or U.S. players did it, I'm guessing this would be a lot less of an issue.

Again, I didn't see what happened and I'm not sure if they crossed the proverbial line (yes, there is one). If they did, it still isn't something to get all hot and bothered over. Just like the players involved that much less and move on.

The real disgrace is the way the U.S. played Belarus and, judging by the score, Russia--hell, the whole tournament.

I agree with all of this. It seems as we are looking for things to knock them about.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
pensfan04 said:
I agree with all of this. It seems as we are looking for things to knock them about.

And again, I'm sure I'd be irritated if I watched it, being a U.S. fan. And if the U.S. did it to Russia I wouldn't be irritated, which is the point. I'd be just as irritated with the fact they scored a goal as I would be with the taunting.

Reilly311

DynamoAO said:
Exactly. People ***** about hockey not getting any popularity in the US, then people ***** when things like this "taunting" happens and it draws attention to the sport in a neutral(some will say its negative, but to the casual fan, its not) way.

Hockey's popularity in the states has nothing to do with a player over celebrating an empty net goal. That's not exciting. That's not worth paying $150.00 to go see.

IkeaMonkey*

Reilly311 said:
Hockey's popularity in the states has nothing to do with a player over celebrating an empty net goal. That's not exciting. That's not worth paying $150.00 to go see.

Think harder.

Dig deeper.

You will get it.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Do you honestly think Ovechkin was celebrating the empty net goal??? NO. That goal clinched the game for Russia, that's what he was celebrating.. When I listened to the game last night I celebrated that empty netter as well because I knew taht now Russia won for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad