What did Ovechkin and Malkin do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmhuskies

tommi462 said:
Oh, I forgot, taunting gives you permission to do physical harm. Sorry about that, my mistake.

:rolleyes:

Say what you like about taunting being them "asking for it", but taunting is legal, assault is not. Taunt back, beat them in the game, whatever, just keep it legal.

And the second thing: The Americans were doing their thing before the Russians even started their taunting.

Really?? they did it before the player put his hand to his ear after scoring a penalty shot in the FIRST game and FIRST period for both teams???? Please, you don't show up and opponet like that, it's just shows no class: sorry...

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
You're right, the checks and high sticks came after the dislodging of nets and constant diving.

Well then...thats pretty stupid on team USA's part then isnt it....letting themselves being taken out of the game so early because someone knocked off the net.

The hit on Ovechkin was plain stupid...1 goal down and nearly a whole period to play and someone hits him up high like that....or are you saying that was a dive?

USA didnt deserve to win that game.....yes, Russia didnt show much class in winning, but US didnt show any in losing either

and again...I'm born and raised in the states

usmhuskies

DynamoAO said:
USM, budddddddddddddyyyyy, the checks and high sticks came WAYYYYYYYY before the taunting even came about.

NO they didn't buddy!!! it started in the FIRST period of the FIRST game for both teams when the kid that scored on a penalty shot put his hand to his ear...That is were the high-sticks came from,...not saying it is right but I did the same thing when I played if I thought somebody was trying to show me up...Score and act like you have do it before!!!

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Herbie Verstinks said:
Americans and Canadians play hardnosed hockey

Russians and Euros play a finesse game and find diving to be acceptable to draw a penalty.

2 different takes on hockey, so would you guys get over your pissing matches and move on. You arent solving anything.

Nobody in my memory dived like Phil Esposito.....guess where he is from

you act like diving only started when Euros came over......

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
usmhuskies said:
Really?? they did it before the player put his hand to his ear after scoring a penalty shot in the FIRST game and FIRST period for both teams???? Please, you don't show up and opponet like that, it's just shows no class: sorry...

Put his hand to his ear? Wow. What an incredible insult. Makes me want to take my stick and go pound his face in. :shakehead

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Mothra said:
USA didnt deserve to win that game.....yes, Russia didnt show much class in winning, but US didnt show any in losing either

:shakehead

The US didnt show any class in losing? What team took all the taunting and then and went and stood on the blue line for the post game ceremony? Those kids swallowed every inch of there pride. You have no idea what you were talking about regardless of what homeland you were born in.

jaydub*

The thing is, taunting does bring on retaliation. The goal of taunting is to get your opponent angry. What do you think will happen when your opponent gets angry? Perhaps in a physical sport he will try to take it out physically. This is what happened. Don't whine about boarding or slashing calls when it was brought on for obvious reasons. That stuff may fly in the motherland , but in the NHL it will result in Chris Pronger giving you a crosscheck to the face, and no one on your team or the opposing team will think you didn't deserve it

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Mothra said:
Nobody in my memory dived like Phil Esposito.....guess where he is from

you act like diving only started when Euros came over......

Are we talking about when Phil Esposito played or this tounament and current styles of hockey? Again you show little intelligence in this thread.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
usmhuskies said:
NO they didn't buddy!!! it started in the FIRST period of the FIRST game for both teams when the kid that scored on a penalty shot put his hand to his ear...That is were the high-sticks came from,...not saying it is right but I did the same thing when I played if I thought somebody was trying to show me up...Score and act like you have do it before!!!

So....something happens games ago and you feel the need to ruin a single elimination game to "get them back" by taking stupid penalties.....I can tell you this for sure....if you did do what you say...and I was your coach you wouldnt see ice again...and if I was your teammate you would hear it as well

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Herbie Verstinks said:
Are we talking about when Phil Esposito played or this tounament and current styles of hockey? Again you show little intelligence in this thread.

You are the one that made it sound like diving is a tactic invented by Euros....when in fact it has always been there

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Mothra said:
You are the one that made it sound like diving is a tactic invented by Euros....when in fact it has always been there

How many US players took dives last night? In the tourney? Embelished calls?

Name one.

and just in case you can, name two.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
usmhuskies said:

Dont worry, if Mothra wont play you, I will.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Herbie Verstinks said:
:shakehead

The US didnt show any class in losing? What team took all the taunting and then and went and stood on the blue line for the post game ceremony? Those kids swallowed every inch of there pride. You have no idea what you were talking about regardless of what homeland you were born in.

I would have been shocked had they not shaken hands, they have to do that.....they swallowed every inch of pride when they got outplayed by a wide margin on their home ice.....it was pretty low class to take 5 minute major with 20 seconds left of a 5 goal defeat....they were doing just as much mouth flappin as the Russians at the end

Roger's Pancreas*

I don't care who taunted who. The coaches are going to watch this, and I doubt very much that they will be chosen to wear an C/A. IMO Ovechkin is incredibly gifted but still plays like a 13 year old; World Cup when he wasn't passed the puck while in good scoring position he lost his poise and slapped his stick against the ice in frustration. I can't wait to see what happens the first time he gets embarrassed.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Mothra said:

He basically said that it was a European style of playing, which is ridiculous and of the Don Cherry school of thought.

The Russian team was much better than the US last night, plain and simple. As somebody said in either this or one of the other threads, the US could have kept with them if they tried to play their game. Instead, they took really stupid penalties.

Everyone whining about diving is being a sore loser. There was one weak call last night. The rest was the US team playing sloppily, which is why they lost. Frankly I was surprised that the game was close for that long.

What the Russian players did after the game and in the closing seconds was being a sore winner, but everybody is blowing it waaaay out of proportion. It was an emotional game in a hostile environment, and there were a few cheap shots taken throughout the game by the US team.

It doesn't excuse the showboating and all of that, but the US team were not saints here. There were at least two very dirty hits in the game by the US, and they were talking right at I think it was Radulov (or Lisin, not sure) and that coach/assistant in the end.

But oh well. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. It showed me more than anything that the Russian players really were playing with a lot of emotion and passion, and I liked that. I didn't like the showboating, but like I said, it's just not too big of a deal.

Shirokov's got some skills and an attitude. As long as he isn't taking cheap shots or playing dirty, mark me down as a fan. If the Penguins end up with a top pick in the second round again, I hope they take Shirokov.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I remember during the Remax tournament against the QMJHL the Russians Taunted the Montreal crowd and some posters here actually thought it was funny....Russian Taunting aint old news.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
from bob mckenzie's article today

"At the beginning of a period, Ovechkin's ritual is often to skate down before the puck is dropped and pretend to be shooting at the goaltender and scoring."

:lol i find that hilarious for some reason.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This and like threads show how many stupid people frequent the boards these days. What a waste of space.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dark Metamorphosis said:
from bob mckenzie's article today

"At the beginning of a period, Ovechkin's ritual is often to skate down before the puck is dropped and pretend to be shooting at the goaltender and scoring."

:lol i find that hilarious for some reason.

The good news is that's not going to happen at the next level. Well, it might once, and only once.

jaydub*

tommi462 said:
And in any civilized country that would result in jail time.

guess what, football hits would result in jail time, rugby hits too. Hockey checks also. Luckily there is a difference between a sport and something that happens on the street. Of course I have seen what happens in the Finnish "Elite League" when things get out of hand...instead of fighting, they go to nasty stickwork, or knee to thigh hits like the one that blew out Ruutu's knee. Very civilived.... ;)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Tommi, do you play hockey?

When you're wrapped up in the emotions of the game and someone starts taunting you, it's very easy to want to punch them in the face. It's an emotional and physical game and someone running their mouth or showboating makes me want to put even more of a beating on them.

I'm sure most people who have played or do play the game understand.

IkeaMonkey*

Vishinator05 said:

When you're wrapped up in the emotions of the game and someone starts taunting you, it's very easy to want to punch them in the face. It's an emotional and physical game and someone running their mouth or showboating makes me want to put even more of a beating on them.

It's also human nature to celebrate after scoring a goal or winning a game.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Vishinator05 said:

I used to feel the same way.....then two things happened.

1) I watched the playoffs from the stands as my team still won....but I could not join in the celebration

2) I grew up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad