What choices are going to be 2nd guessed by USA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
pucks1 said:
Usa's D sucks anyways, they look like chickens with their heads cut off. Outlet passing was horrible. Did you see the goal when Robbie SKATED up pass the blue line and launched a Rocket to beat the goalie? Or when he droped the puck between his legs and threw it on net which end up a goal? He is not bad on defence either. People dont notice little things like when he back checks and gets a stick on people to slow them down.

Dido... i've seen him play 100 times the past 2 years...and his defense was bad last year and is much better this year... if it weren't hunter wouldn't be playing him as much as he is

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO there was no one player that killed this team. This team as a whole was just sloppy and just got picked apart by teams with more structure. That all falls back on Sandelin. He just did a piss poor job and I hope that he doesn't come back next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Much of what I was going to post has already been said, but here are my thoughts:

1) The defense was poorly constructed. Guys like Hunwick and Likens shouldn't have been given a free ride since they were on the team last year, and Brian Lee shouldn't have been named. Too many smallish, finesse oriented types, and not enough of the strong, stay-at-home variety. I think guys like Mike Brennan, Matt Lashoff, Jack Johnson, Mike Sauer, and even A.J. Thelen would have been better choices.

2) I can't really fault the U.S. brass on the goaltending duo we brought to the event. I didn't forsee Montoya struggling like he did, but I wasn't surprised Schneider didn't play well, as he's seen limited action this year. Gerald Coleman or Mike Brown would have been better choices as back-ups.

3) The forward group was good, although it could have used a bit more size and playmaking ability. Alot of great one-on-one guys, but some questionable passing, and alot of tough going in the trenches.

4) Coaching was lacking, although I don't know how the blame should be assigned since it's tough to get a system in place in such a short period of time, especially when a team struggles and you're shifting players trying to find the right fit.

5) The selection process needs to be looked at a bit. Players who who were on the team the year before shouldn't get a free pass, and a summer evaluation camp doesn't appear to be the optimal way to get a read on current ability. Something needs to be done to ensure the players playing the best currently are named.

All this being said we can still salvage a bronze medal, which will be amazing given the tumult this team has been through.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Much of what I was going to post has already been said, but here are my thoughts:

1) The defense was poorly constructed. Guys like Hunwick and Likens shouldn't have been given a free ride since they were on the team last year, and Brian Lee shouldn't have been named. Too many smallish, finesse oriented types, and not enough of the strong, stay-at-home variety. I think guys like Mike Brennan, Matt Lashoff, Jack Johnson, Mike Sauer, and even A.J. Thelen would have been better choices.

2) I can't really fault the U.S. brass on the goaltending duo we brought to the event. I didn't forsee Montoya struggling like he did, but I wasn't surprised Schneider didn't play well, as he's seen limited action this year. Gerald Coleman or Mike Brown would have been better choices as back-ups.

3) The forward group was good, although it could have used a bit more size and playmaking ability. Alot of great one-on-one guys, but some questionable passing, and alot of tough going in the trenches.

4) Coaching was lacking, although I don't know how the blame should be assigned since it's tough to get a system in place in such a short period of time, especially when a team struggles and you're shifting players trying to find the right fit.

5) The selection process needs to be looked at a bit. Players who who were on the team the year before shouldn't get a free pass, and a summer evaluation camp doesn't appear to be the optimal way to get a read on current ability. Something needs to be done to ensure the players playing the best currently are named.

All this being said we can still salvage a bronze medal, which will be amazing given the tumult this team has been through.

Hey Rabid Ranger, you were the one on this board before the WJC's started saying that the USA defence will be fine, just like last year as they may not be big, but they can move the puck and skate. I was on here telling you you were wrong, but you had no idea. I mentioned Byfuglien and Fitzgerald out of the WHL, but of course the guys selected were better. I mean Byfuglien is on pace for 30 goals this year as a D-man and he has outplayed Barker and Belle head to head this season! Fitzgerald is a mean SOB and can play D. Both guys are also over 6'2 and 220lbs. Anyways, the brilliant USA braintrust brought along Brian Lee and I bet I can count the number of shifts he had in the whole tourney on one hand! Such a mistake and I feel sorry for the kid. I think we can all see last year was more luck than anything winning the gold medal. I also brought up the fact that Montoya was struggling prior to the tourney, but again, I was wrong and it was the forwards and D-man at Michigan who were to blame. I guess I can say I told you guys so. :p:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Pepper

U.S doesn't impress me at all apart from goaltending, then again they didn't impress me last year either.

They miss their best forward/player in Parise, their defense is suspect after first pairing (well, after Suter), they lack size & skill upfront and generally looks like a weak group (relatively speaking of course)

Well hindsight is always 20/20 but looks like I was right. Also I predicted that Montoya won't impress either.

BCCHL inactive

HabLover said:
I mentioned Byfuglien and Fitzgerald out of the WHL, but of course the guys selected were better. I mean Byfuglien is on pace for 30 goals this year as a D-man and he has outplayed Barker and Belle head to head this season! Fitzgerald is a mean SOB and can play D. Both guys are also over 6'2 and 220lbs.

The only two guys I was going to mention are Byfuglien and FitzGerald. They could have dominated this tournament on defence.

What does USA Hockey have against the WHL?

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Van said:
The only two guys I was going to mention are Byfuglien and FitzGerald. They could have dominated this tournament on defence.

I've heard they're both beasts, I would've loved to have seen them play, Especially since Fitzgerald is a Blues prospect(hopefully another Jackman :innocent: ). They would've changed the face of the U.S. team too. The team played kind of physical, but mostly dirty stuff like short-arm cross checks and little sucker punches. They didn't have anyone to regulate and put big hits on people. For example against Sweden, Kessel got rocked by a clean hit and instead of giving it right back the rest of the team just started all this little cheap stuff that would've gotten them 2 minutes in the NHL...

And Schremp did suck. When he didn't shoot the puck right after he got it (wherever he was) he was either turning it over or not playing defense. I admit he's talented but his play was immature and selfish most of the time.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
HabLover said:
Hey Rabid Ranger, you were the one on this board before the WJC's started saying that the USA defence will be fine, just like last year as they may not be big, but they can move the puck and skate.
If they would have been able to move the puck and skate with the same losing result, then you would be on to something. Rabid Ranger was depending on the D to skate and move the puck effectively; clearly that didn't happen. If it would have happened, I think your size issue would have been forgotten about. Fact is, they were more finesse this year, but the abysmal puck movement, no system, and just stupid play overall hurt them much more than just the fact that they were primarily a finesse defensive unit.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Alfie#11 said:
Let's also not forget that if Vorobiev gets called for delay of game, the US might have won that game. I would say that the Russians carried play in the game but until that Vorobiev non-call and the subsequent Russian goal, the game was well within reach.
I didn't get to see the game. Can someone tell me what happened?

BCCHL inactive

Douggy said:
I didn't get to see the game. Can someone tell me what happened?

Vorobiev knocked the net off intentionally...obviously not so obvious to the Swedish referee.

It should have been called imo, but it is quite extreme to say that the USA could have won the game had it been called.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
trahans99 said:
Dido... i've seen him play 100 times the past 2 years...and his defense was bad last year and is much better this year... if it weren't hunter wouldn't be playing him as much as he is

You can't win. The people who saw him a grand total of once on Sportsnet and on the PP for the US know more than you or others who have access to season's tickets to the Knights games.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Van said:
It should have been called imo, but it is quite extreme to say that the USA could have won the game had it been called.
Not really. It was 3-2 with 11 or 12 minutes left at that point and if the call is made, USA goes on the PP and Malkin doesn't score right afterwards to make it 4-2. Who knows how it plays out if that call was made.

I've been cheering for Canada from the beginning, but I hate when a cheap, cheap play like that has an effect on such an important game.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Carl O'Steen said:
Cheap?

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do to win.
I guess, as I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation, but it most definitely was cheap, regardless.

Thinking about it, I could see myself doing that if I was close to the net purely out of reaction/desperation, but I honestly doubt I would skate out of my way to knock the net off the way Vorobiev did.

leafaholix*

flyers guy said:
I guess, as I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation, but it most definitely was cheap, regardless.

Thinking about it, I could see myself doing that if I was close to the net purely out of reaction/desperation, but I honestly doubt I would skate out of my way to knock the net off the way Vorobiev did.
If it meant a spot in the Gold medal game you probably would.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Van said:
Vorobiev knocked the net off intentionally...obviously not so obvious to the Swedish referee.

Oh yeah, I did see that. (I was in a Bar last night so I didn't get to hear any announcers.)

Anyways, I don't think it was Cheap, because he HAD to know that there would be a penalty called for it, and its not his fault the ref didn't call one.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Carl O'Steen said:
If it meant a spot in the Gold medal game you probably would.
In Vorobiev's case I especially wouldn't do it, thinking about it more now. I'm pretty sure the puck wasn't directly around the crease and not in a position where a goal was imminent, so if I had that much time I probably would start plowing away to make sure all the Americans are out of the crease and not screening my goaltender. That's simply because of the fact that if I went that far out of my way like Vorobiev did, I'd be pretty confident that I'd be in the box for the next two minutes. That's not a smart play at that part of the game, no matter what, unless a goal is completely unstoppable otherwise. My memory might be wrong, but while the puck was in the possession of the Americans, I definitely don't remember being a dire situation.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
HabLover said:
Anyways, the brilliant USA braintrust brought along Brian Lee and I bet I can count the number of shifts he had in the whole tourney on one hand! Such a mistake and I feel sorry for the kid. I think we can all see last year was more luck than anything winning the gold medal.
Just caught this. So the gold medal was "luck" because a guy who played very little last year was on the team again and played like crap this year? Maybe it had to do with the fact that last year's American talent pool was obviously superior to this year's. Sure, every team will have their share of bounces for them and so called luck, but I'm a believer in creating your own luck which the American's did last year and the Canadians did not. Notice how the Americans didn't get too much luck in favor of them this year which is a direct result of them playing like crap.

This is a pathetic attempt even for you. :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Hey Rabid Ranger, you were the one on this board before the WJC's started saying that the USA defence will be fine, just like last year as they may not be big, but they can move the puck and skate. I was on here telling you you were wrong, but you had no idea. I mentioned Byfuglien and Fitzgerald out of the WHL, but of course the guys selected were better. I mean Byfuglien is on pace for 30 goals this year as a D-man and he has outplayed Barker and Belle head to head this season! Fitzgerald is a mean SOB and can play D. Both guys are also over 6'2 and 220lbs. Anyways, the brilliant USA braintrust brought along Brian Lee and I bet I can count the number of shifts he had in the whole tourney on one hand! Such a mistake and I feel sorry for the kid. I think we can all see last year was more luck than anything winning the gold medal. I also brought up the fact that Montoya was struggling prior to the tourney, but again, I was wrong and it was the forwards and D-man at Michigan who were to blame. I guess I can say I told you guys so. :p:

I guess you're a genius and I'm an idiot. Great job! :bow:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Van said:

Not on the radar I suppose. The U.S. is always going to lean towards the NCAA, with a bit of CHL representation. The WHL might get more of a look next year when the tourney is in Vancouver. I expect a guy like Michael Sauer to get a long look.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Oiltalk said:
Perhaps, but the bottom line is Schremp was more beneficial to the team than he was a hazard. It's pretty hard for one to argue that Schremp didn't deserve more ice time, as he wasn't horrible defensively, and not any worse than a lot of forwards on that US team this year.

He was horrible definsively, but he was clutch offensively and creating a lot of offensive chances. I won't hold his defensive issues against him that much as the whole forward core was pathetic in their back-checking, and the defense was pretty sad as well.

I think the biggest hit to this US team was the bad goaltending and bad defense. Suter was the lone horse for team USA, and his partner was the abysmal Likens (shudder). Last year, Suter had Wisenewski and they both had tremendous chemistry together. Lets not forget Mark Stuart, as well, who was able to eat up 25+ minutes along with Suter and form a truly effective defensive unit.

beerpaul*

:handclap: I agree, I think the coaching was terrible. Sandelin will 100% not be back next year. :p:
PuckFan01 said:
USA's coaching sucked. Sandelin is absolutely overrated as a coach. If he hadn't been buddies with Dean Blais, he never would have been selected as a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad