What can the NHL do for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
There have been quite a few articles written in the papers lately about the need for the NHL to do something to "woo" back the fans that may have been lost during the lockout.

There will be ticket price reductions.
That's nice.

What do you think the NHL has to do to bring the fans back?

My thoughts are there is nothing they can do other than improve the product.
Make the NHL fun to watch again.
Don't puss out on the rule changes.
Get the offensive flow going.
I don't care if the final score of most games 7-6 or 2-1 as long as there was some fancy playmaking and edge of seat excitement, like the NHL used to provide.

What do you think they have to do?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The biggest key for me is to maintain the lowered ticket prices, at least to some extent.

The Stars, as much as I love them, had started to price me out with $25-$30 being the cheapest ticket in the building. If they can get $10-$20 (and even $25 at the very highest) to be the cheapest you can get in the building EVEN AS revenues grow, then all will be forgiven. I don't think that has a snowball's chance in Hades of happening, though.

Uh, keep events accessable. The Stars are holding rookie camp this week and training camp will be here and open to the public. Keep this up.

I don't mind the product, but I've grown up watching trap hockey. *shrugs*

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
they can get my local cable company to carry Center Ice Pkg for starters

I had the pkg via expressvu but have since moved into an apartment complex that doesnt allow dishes mounted on the balcony -therfore I'm stuck with a dinosaur cable company thats really behind the times

I guess theres hope that the pkg can be had ''online'' eventually , but who wants to watch a game whiloe sitting at the computer desk

Safir*

Make full games available online, since I'm not living in NA and can't watch it. Here in Germany you'll only get games on pay-per-view.

silver_made*

the only tangible difference to fans living in each of the 30 markets is to drastically lower ticket prices. it's the first and most important way to bring people to games.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Make sure all games are in HDTV somehow.
Circumvent all local stations laging behind in broadcast HDTV service.
Offer NHL pkgs IN FULL 16:9 HDTV, force the issue. ALL GAMES
Not once a week, or whenever they get arround to upgrading.

I want my hockey back, I want it in 16:9 HD, I want to see every game my team plays in HD, I don't care what has to be done JUST DO IT.

Oil_slick9416*

as much as the lockout hurt hockey, i don't think the NHL owes anyone anything including the fans.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
NHL and NHLPA owe the fans an entertaining product.

Which means, I don't want to see the whistle swallowed in the last minute of the third period or over-time. I want to see the rules change, and I want to see more media access to the players and coaches during the games.

The ticket price reductions are only temporary as the league and players can not afford to have reduced prices over the long term, if they want to grow the sport, on and off the ice.

littleD

RLC said:
Make sure all games are in HDTV somehow.
Circumvent all local stations laging behind in broadcast HDTV service.
Offer NHL pkgs IN FULL 16:9 HDTV, force the issue. ALL GAMES
Not once a week, or whenever they get arround to upgrading.

I want my hockey back, I want it in 16:9 HD, I want to see every game my team plays in HD, I don't care what has to be done JUST DO IT.

The NHL has no pull to start demanding stations be "HD ready" if they aren't already.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
If the NHL doesn't think they owe anything to the fans, they won't see the end of this 6 year CBA before the bottom falls out for good. The MLS will surpass them in money and prestige.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Tekneek said:
If the NHL doesn't think they owe anything to the fans, they won't see the end of this 6 year CBA before the bottom falls out for good. The MLS will surpass them in money and prestige.

Ridiculous comments with no basis in reality are not valid arguments.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Resolute said:
Ridiculous comments with no basis in reality are not valid arguments.

I was being absurd, just as saying the NHL owes nothing to the fans is absurd. If you take a year off to settle your internal spending problems and think all you have to do is say "Game on!" to get the fans back, you might be taking a gamble. MLB had to wait years for attendance to return after their players went on strike, and even then they made concessions and gimmicks to try and get people back. If the NHL thinks some token price drops, which not all franchises are doing, is good enough, they may not be too happy with the results.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Oil_slick9416 said:
as much as the lockout hurt hockey, i don't think the NHL owes anyone anything including the fans.
That sure is a contrarian view, but if the NHL were to take that position, they would just be hurting themselves and they know it. To prove it, NHL teams are cutting ticket prices, as has already been stated.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Tekneek said:
I was being absurd, just as saying the NHL owes nothing to the fans is absurd.
I dont think so.

MLB had fans before its labor issues. The NHL was falling fast. The people that were there were hardcore fans. The NHL chased away most of the casual fans before the lockout.

What is absurd, to me, is people acting like jilted lovers. Like the NHL did something to personally hurt their feelings. The NHL is not you lover and not your friend. If the NHL hurt your feelings you need to get your priorities in order.

Its a business. It shut down for a year. Now its back. If you like NHL hockey watch. If you dont watch something else. Quit thinking everyone owes you something when they do something you dont like.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I also think Tampa Bay will not be able to spend the whole cap amount if they depend solely on those sales so far. They will have to generate a lot of walk-up sales to pay the bills. Those numbers sound good and make decent print, but it won't finance a hockey team.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
iagreewithidiots said:
Its a business. It shut down for a year. Now its back. If you like NHL hockey watch. If you dont watch something else. Quit thinking everyone owes you something when they do something you dont like.

Remind the NHL that they don't have to do anything when revenue takes another drop. I'm sure it will make them all feel better about it. We'll see if the market agrees with your take or not. It will be revealed in league revenue numbers when the next season wraps up.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
iagreewithidiots said:
I dont think so.

MLB had fans before its labor issues. The NHL was falling fast. The people that were there were hardcore fans. The NHL chased away most of the casual fans before the lockout.

What is absurd, to me, is people acting like jilted lovers. Like the NHL did something to personally hurt their feelings. The NHL is not you lover and not your friend. If the NHL hurt your feelings you need to get your priorities in order.

:clap:

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
littleD said:
The NHL has no pull to start demanding stations be "HD ready" if they aren't already.

NO PULL ? TRY this , our games are in HD we will entertain selling our rights to stations that can trasnmit our signal, if your station wants to transmit both 480i and 1080i together then you can do so.

cbc, src, tsn, rogers, ctv and so on. IF you want NHL games then make sure you can transmit in both regular and HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad