What Burke wanted for the 2nd pick.....

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by The List Of Jericho, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The List Of Jericho

The List Of Jericho Drink it in man....

Home Page:
    Philly called and he said he wouldn't take anything less than Joni Pitkanen. Steep price and I can imagine what he wanted from other teams. Im starting to believe the Tanguay/Hejduk rumour

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. He's a fool. He should've taken jack johnson.

3. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

So he wanted Joni Pitkanen but he didn't take Jack Johnson?

Now that he's in Disneyland, I think Goofy got into his head.

4. Nucks2134

Nucks2134 Registered User

Home Page:
  5. The Mighty Duck Man

The Mighty Duck Man R-E-L-A-X

Home Page:
    Remember last year, when everyone wanted AJ Thelen, and Ladislav Smid's name came up? Well, since then, Thelen's fallen quite a bit, and Smid is arguably a top 20 prospect.

Brian Burke loves his #1 defensemen, so if he thought Ryan was better, then that's more than good enough for me. We've taken many a prospect with skating issues, and every one of them has rosen quite a bit after. IMO, with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, etc. in the NHL, Ryan might be very close, if not at the top of, many NHL-affiliated prospect lists. Every second I love this pick more and more, and while Johnson may have been the #1 defenseman we need, Burke obviously knows this, and will fix it later.

As for what Burke wanted, he said he only got one offer he'd consider legitimate, and it wasn't all that close, so I'm guessing some of those rumors didn't happen. I don't know what it was, but I'd probably be glad he didn't pull the trigger on it.

6. Lupul supposedly couldn't get himself around the ice without falling down, and he actually has NHL speed. Heard some terrible things about Getzlaf's skating ability but he looked pretty damn good to me at the prospect camp, not much worse than Smid, and that guy is smooth. They're not beautiful skaters, mind you - Lupul and Getzlaf I mean - but they aren't bad.

Getzlaf's stride actually reminds of Ron Francis - ugly movements, but effective enough.

7. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Lupol improved skating a ****-ton in the time of his draft and his first game. If they could do that with him, then they can do it with Ryan (who's skating isn't even that bad for a big man).

8. Fighter

Fighter Always on the move

Traveller
    I think both agree Joni is a sure thing while Johnson not. And Pitkanen is also 6'4", Johnson rougly 6'1".
    Between the two I would take the Oulu kid without thinking twice.

I am sure the idea of Burke was exactly that one, Pitkanen for the second overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.