What Berghenheim did does not belong in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
Did you even watch the game? Markov came back to the ice during the 2nd period, so he's not dying obviously.

And a lifetime ban? LOL.... get real.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Did you even watch the game? Markov came back to the ice during the 2nd period, so he's not dying obviously.

Did YOU watch the game? Markov didn't come back for the 3rd.....

And when you'll hear about the extent of the injury, obviously you'll come back on these boards saying how sorry you were about that comment...But then, even if the injury is not that career threatening, sticking out your leg is dangerous and should be punished accordingly. And if you want that to stop, 5 minutes is not enough. Suspension is in order. When you don't connect with your hit and look like a fool missing your check, take it like a man instead of sticking your leg out to connect.....Pretty nasty and pretty stupid and potentially a career threatening injury....

Wonder what would be your reaction if Koivu gets the same treatment....

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre

Markov has a knee injury, I hope it is just a strain but more likely some sort of a tear. I know that he tried to come back on PP but he only could last for shift and a half. Berghenheim is a nobody who successfully and purposefully injured world class athlete who came to play for the pride of his country but needs his knees healthy for the sake of his family. Berghenheim should not be allowed to be close to professional athletes, he only should play in a finnish beer leagues.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I am sure he didn't intend to injure Markov (he is no goon), he was just going for an open-ice hit. Intent or not, Bergenheim got what he deserved though. 5+20 is correct for that.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
IIHF should take a very close look at what happened. Markov has been an unbelievable player for this tournament where the players don't get paid and just play for their countries' pride. Incindents like that might make all the class athletes to think twice before coming to play.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Everyone who thinks Bergenheim tried to injure Markov on purpose is just plain crazy. Having said that, it was a very dangerous hit and I hope that Markov recovers soon. 5+20 was certainly deserved and I wouldn't mind seeing a longer ban as well.

EDIT: By a longer ban I mean a few games, not banning him for life.

Last edited:

Jose90

Mar 10, 2007
Jose made it
I've seen the hit and I really don't believe it was intentional let alone directed against Markov. This is hockey; sometimes players go for a hit and miss. Sure hope it's not too bad:(

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland

But he did come back to the ice. So obviously it's not potentionally career threathening like the poster said.

And when you'll hear about the extent of the injury, obviously you'll come back on these boards saying how sorry you were about that comment...But then, even if the injury is not that career threatening, sticking out your leg is dangerous and should be punished accordingly. And if you want that to stop, 5 minutes is not enough. Suspension is in order. When you don't connect with your hit and look like a fool missing your check, take it like a man instead of sticking your leg out to connect.....Pretty nasty and pretty stupid and potentially a career threatening injury....

In my opinion it wasn't intentional. He missed the check but didn't stick his leg out. He didn't try to avoid it though.... he was careless and it was an unfortunate result.
And just because Markov was injured doesn't mean you should change the rulebook. These collisions/knee-on-knee-hits happen all the time, you don't see players getting lifetime bans. Even Todd Bertuzzi didn't receive one and what he did was in a different league. He tried to commit a murder on ice.

You wouldn't see me starting threads, that's for sure.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Berghenheim is a nobody who successfully and purposefully injured world class athlete who came to play for the pride of his country but needs his knees healthy for the sake of his family.

Disclaimer: I am not condoning the hit, hell I haven't even seen it.

Not for long, Bergenheim will in all likelyhood play his first full NHL season next year, which is only the beginning.

You may be reading too much into it, Bergenheim is known for his hitting, and I'd be hard pressed to assume he premeditatively set sights on injuring a player.

Let alone, be aware enough in a matter of a split second to think: "Hmm, that Markov...He's a world class talent, let me take out his legs so he can't walk his kids to pre-school any more, and ruin his quality of family life." :sarcasm:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Bergenheim did not spread his legs once Markov made his move, his stance was just a tad bit wide so knees collided unfortunately. It was not one of the very dirty kneeings you can sometimes see, when a player notices he will not hit and extends their leg anyway. Markov did not want to take the hit and paid the price. Unfortunate, but that's hockey sometimes. Accidents happen when big, strong athletes skate 30 km/h in a small rink and try to bump into eachother.

Bergenheim did the right thing trying to drop Malkin with a huge open ice hit, but unfortunately it turned out bad.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Disclaimer: I am not condoning the hit, hell I haven't even seen it.

Not for long, Bergenheim will in all likelyhood play his first full NHL season next year, which is only the beginning.

You may be reading too much into it, Bergenheim is known for his hitting, and I'd be hard pressed to assume he premeditatively set sights on injuring a player.

Let alone, be aware enough in a matter of a split second to think: "Hmm, that Markov...He's a world class talent, let me take out his legs so he can't walk his kids to pre-school any more, and ruin his quality of family life." :sarcasm:

Bergenheim might be known to you for his hitting, but to me he is known as a hockey bum who stack out his knee to purposely injure Russia's best defenseman.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Sounds like this thread has been started in the coffee room of harge haulers on the Volga.

:nopity:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Anyone have a video of this hit?

Bergenheim is not known as a dirty player though, so idk.

It wasn't anything spectacular, trust me. I'm sure someone will put it online at some point. You just have to remember where these comments are coming....fans that just had their dream destroyed. They are looking for anyone to blame, thats human.

RubberDuck

Oct 30, 2005
Siberian:

What do you think about Ovetchkin´s hit in Switzerland-game?
Is it ok, that star-player hits "nobody" straight to head?

Bergenheim got 5+20 (that´s what he deserved), and for sure he doesn´t mean to injure Markov, that´s it.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Bergenheim might be known to you for his hitting, but to me he is known as a hockey bum who stack out his knee to purposely injure Russia's best defenseman.

And if that didn't happen, Russia surely would have went on to win this tournament. Just like all the other major tournaments they have won in the last 10 years.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Sometimes things like that happen in hockey.

Earlier this season Jevgeni Artjuhin busted Jari Viuhkolas knee with his dirty knee-on-knee hit in Karjala Tournament. Viuhkola was out for 6 months because of broken ACL.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Markov did come onto the ice for couple shifts in the 2nd.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
As far as Bergenheim being a nobody, I saw him score 4 goals in one AHL game. He's a grinder and will make a fine third or fourth line regular NHL player for many years to come. I watched him play for two seasons in the AHL in Bridgeport, and he plays with a lot of heart and goes for big hits, but I've NEVER seen him intentionally target a player or attempt to injure someone. I haven't seen this hit yet, but it sounds like it was unintentional from what other posters have written, and he's a really nice guy in person. I hope it wasn't intentional, and while I won't rule it out it isn't like the Bergenheim I know.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Ok Mods, it's now pretty evident that Siberian is trying to start a flamewar here so it's time for you to act.

Talentless Practise*

I'd like to hear Siberians comments on Evgeni Artyukhins hit on Jari Viuhkola earlier this season in Euro Hockey Tour. That was a vicious knee-on-knee. Bergenheim's, while clearly a dirty hit and deserving of a major penalty, seemed to have a lot of "accident" in there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad