What are the worst injuries you ever saw?

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
2 Incidents

1. Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate in the crease. He had this wicked scar from his eybrows to his mouth. Gross.

2. An incident in a minor league game several years ago (Manitoba junior, maybe?) where the goalie had the fingers on one hand sliced off after his trapper came off. I remember seeing the video; one of the defencemen on his knees, gathering up the severed fingers, which were later reattached.

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
This one wasn't nearly as bad a final result as the stuff you guys have listed, but this one was every bit as shocking at first glance. I still cannot figure out how Mike Modano ever walked after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjA_Pd_SXBc

If we're talking soccer, there's nothing worse than at the 1982 World Cup, the West German goalkeeper Harold Schumacher gave a wild flying forearm to the face of French midfielder Patrick Battison. Knocked him out cold and cost him a handful of teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7SBLEEuwM&mode=related&search=

while were at it at Soccer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxneb1ApfSQ

It's not life-threatening or anything like that, but it looks very painful. :eek:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Worst I've seen in general is Malarchuk. That was grusome.

Worst I saw live (on TV) was Marco Sturm breaking his ankle on that icing a couple years ago. It doesn't sound like much, and Sturm turned out to recover just fine, but seeing his ankle twisted at that unnatural angle made me cringe.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anyone have a video of either the Brian Savage injury in 199 or the Pat Peake injury in 1996?

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
Early in his career, Mogilny getting landed on by some other players and his leg getting twisted and broken. That one sticks with me to this day. His temates helped him up and dragged him off the ice, but consideing how much pain he was obviously in, they should have probably let him be stretchered off. Also,Similar incident for Nasland.

weird those were going to be my choices. everytime i even think about Mogilny i cringe

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm almost sure it was, but you're probably right, if it was on an icing Don Cherry would show that replay once a month on Coach's Corner. Oh wait, Goulet's from Quebec, though,.... Never mind. :sarcasm:

No the Goulet injury was not on an icing call. Chicago was in Montreal and he received a pass from Roenick and while on a bad angle on the left wing he lost his footing and slammed head first into the boards. He had that wafer-thin helmet on so that didnt help but Goulet never played again int he NHL. He stated that when he went home he had such bad post-concussion syndrome that he couldnt even remember any neighbours.

As for Cherry, I'm pretty sure he likes Goulet. He wasnt a fighter but he took a lot of abuse in his career. I've never heard him make a crack about him

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I was at the game when Malarchuk got cut. At the corner to his left 4th row. In some of the video you can see me standing and looking as the camera pans away to the stands. People were fainting and puking, women and children crying and screaming....quite a scene.

Clint wasnt grasping at his throat. Amazingly he took the time to fling his blocker away from the blood. He was very aware of what had happend to him. His experiance as a youngster with his Father and slaughtering animals, he knew that once cut the artery would retract deep into the tissue. He stuck his finger up in to try and plug or pinch the cut end shut to stop the bleeding. His calm and cool action did slow the bleeding and provide the needed time. As the trainer got to his side he was fighting to stay conscious.The concensus is, had he been at the opposite end of the rink, Clint would have died there.

Clint returned to the ice the next practice. Not to play mind you but he went on the ice. Takes a while to recover from something that needs about 300 stitiches to fix... The injury didnt change him so much as some other medical issues he faced prior to and after. He is now a practicing Horse Dentist/Veterinarian. Over all his play was unaffected by the injury itself.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I was at the game when Malarchuk got cut. At the corner to his left 4th row. In some of the video you can see me standing and looking as the camera pans away to the stands. People were fainting and puking, women and children crying and screaming....quite a scene.

Clint wasnt grasping at his throat. Amazingly he took the time to fling his blocker away from the blood. He was very aware of what had happend to him. His experiance as a youngster with his Father and slaughtering animals, he knew that once cut the artery would retract deep into the tissue. He stuck his finger up in to try and plug or pinch the cut end shut to stop the bleeding. His calm and cool action did slow the bleeding and provide the needed time. As the trainer got to his side he was fighting to stay conscious.The concensus is, had he been at the opposite end of the rink, Clint would have died there.

Clint returned to the ice the next practice. Not to play mind you but he went on the ice. Takes a while to recover from something that needs about 300 stitiches to fix... The injury didnt change him so much as some other medical issues he faced prior to and after. He is now a practicing Horse Dentist/Veterinarian. Over all his play was unaffected by the injury itself.

I heard he's suffered from many emotional problems since the injury (i.e. Post-traumatic stress).

Also, is anyone with me that an injury like that to malarchuk should warrent the league to mandate neck guards? I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw it happen....one of the scarriest moments of my life.

Since then, I've been real concerned w/ skate blades, so when I saw prucha get cut in the face by colin white this year, I was scarred ****less (thank god it was to the bridge of his nose, and not to the eyes/throat). I was such a mess, and I honestly was fearing for his life. Same for Rene Bourque and Jamie Heward.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
This one wasn't nearly as bad a final result as the stuff you guys have listed, but this one was every bit as shocking at first glance. I still cannot figure out how Mike Modano ever walked after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjA_Pd_SXBc

If we're talking soccer, there's nothing worse than at the 1982 World Cup, the West German goalkeeper Harold Schumacher gave a wild flying forearm to the face of French midfielder Patrick Battison. Knocked him out cold and cost him a handful of teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7SBLEEuwM&mode=related&search=

Schumacher said after the game that Battiston should send him the bill, he will pay for his denture. I remember I saw that live as a little boy (9years). Man, I was such a homer that I didn`t even think it is that bad. Of course seeing it now I have a different opinion. German goalkeepers in that time were weirdos anyway. I remember Uli Stein (Schumacher`s back up at that time if I am not mistaken) punching a guy square in the face because of nothing. Makes Zidane`s look like a baby foul. Nut no way this is the worst soccer injury. Look at my post on page one for Ditmar Jakobs. It doesn`t get creepier than that.

JayByrd

Aug 30, 2005
Kelowna, BC
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Wasn't all that gruesome to watch, but the injury was quite horrible....Al MacInnis of the Flames, chasing down an icing vs Patrick Poulin of the Hartford Whalers in the early 90's. Poulin hooked MacInnis just a little bit, about 10 feet from the boards. Chopper fell down and went into the boards feet first with his legs apart...the impact dislocated his hip. MacInnis said he was in so much pain after that, he thought his career was over.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Malarchuk, Trent Mcleary and I'll never forget Serge Savard busting his leg on the old-style (see unmovable) goal post.....that was freakin' ugly!

Oh, and the Moore injury was pretty gross too.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Malarchuk is def up there. That was disturbing.

The Brian Savage injury, was gross. The one where he skating in and got rocked coming across the blueline.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
The McLeary incident just disturbs me. The guy wasn't able to breath anymore and must had a tracheoctomy in the locker with his equipement still on. I remember watching the players interviews after the game and Jeff Hackett looking so helpless wondering if his friend had survived.

McLeary, Savage and Audette are the 3 worst I've seen live. Freaky to think one team can have so much horrible injuries in a couple on years.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
No the Goulet injury was not on an icing call. Chicago was in Montreal and he received a pass from Roenick and while on a bad angle on the left wing he lost his footing and slammed head first into the boards. He had that wafer-thin helmet on so that didnt help but Goulet never played again int he NHL. He stated that when he went home he had such bad post-concussion syndrome that he couldnt even remember any neighbours.

As for Cherry, I'm pretty sure he likes Goulet. He wasnt a fighter but he took a lot of abuse in his career. I've never heard him make a crack about him

Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty young when it happened, and the details were pretty sketchy in my mind.

Sunny Leone*

Malarchuk hands down. I saw that game live on TV that night. They showed him spurting blood from the neck then turned the camera, saying " please don't show this too gruesome for the viewers." Then the next day a huge picture of him bleeding and holding his neck was on the front page of the buffalo news.

vbet*

My Buddy Robin Thenu having a testicle explode in a ball hockey game when he was too stupid to wear a cup.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Another one is when Pronger took a slap shot in the heart and collapsed. I believe he had a heart attack because of that.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Malarchuk for sure. Berard is up there too. Jay Pandolfo getting split open for 84 stitches, which caused Ftorek to throw the bench. Non-hockey is definitely Theismann. Whenever I hear or see him, I think about that play and cringe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad