What are the greatest Hart Trophy races in NHL history? How does 2023-2024 compare, in terms of multiple 'historic' seasons in contention?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I guess you're right. If Karlsson leading the NHL in assists didn't warrant a look, not much will...
If I was in charge, I'd throw out ballots that don't have a non goalie in the top 3 and a second one in the top 5. Normalize defensive positions being seen as equally valuable.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
in 2000 i could have gone any of three ways on pronger, jagr, and bure

i think the last time there were four guys who legit could have won was 1995: lindros, jagr, hasek, and my pick, coffey

coffey that year reminds me of hughes this year: he was just the engine that the number one team in the league moved through, and backed it up by leading the team in +/- and all dmen in even strength pts, as well as killing it as the PP QB and running away with the dmen scoring race

Yes, 2000 was a close match too. It surprises me that Bure was that close to Jagr and Pronger in 3rd place.

1995 I don't disagree that Lindros, Jagr and Hasek all made a nice trifecta of candidates with Coffey being what you would assume could be a 4th candidate. But the voters loved Lindros that year and it wasn't even close when you compared him to 2nd place Jagr.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
2013 was a curious year. Ovi, Crosby, Tavares and Toews comprised the top4 and the four of them all had between 49.5 and 60.9 percent of total vote points (whatever that means) with all having substantial amount of 1st place votes. Tavares finished 17th in the scoring race while Toews was 13th. The top2 point getters St. Louis and Stamkos* finished 9th and 8th, respectively. Ovi won the rocket and Crosby was out a fourth of the season with the clearly the best ppg. No recollection of why Tavares and Toews were valued this highly, although Chicago finishing with the best point total gives a hit in favor of Toews. Islanders were the 8th seed and Tavares was a minus player outscoring Matt Moulson by mere three points.

Scoring lead

*) Tampa finished with the 3rd lowest point total in the league, so aside from the high scoring duo the team was trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad