What about traded picks for ´05?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy

Apr 23, 2003
Norrköping, Sweden
Visit site
I´m just wondering what happens with the picks in the 2005 entry draft that has changed owner. Calgary traded their 2nd rounder in ´05 to San Jose for Kipprusoff, if I remember correctly. What happens with that if there is no season and no draft? Just wondering.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
craig1 said:
There will be a draft regardless.

I wouldn't count on it. If there's still no season (which it looks like there won't be any hockey for a long long time) then I don't see how they can have a draft, since it's a part of the CBA.

That said they would be stupid to mess up this draft, as it's very deep and should be a great draft overall. Many teams will likely get some top notch talent with their 1st and or 2nd picks, as the top 50 is damn impressive imo.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
If the draft is delayed to 06, I suspect that they'll make the traded picks just 06 picks. No 06 picks that I am aware of have been traded.

PK*

If I remember correctly, there was some talk a few years ago to higher the eligible age to 19. That would be the perfect time to do so, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
the 05 draft class would still exist it just might not take place until 06, but I believe they will keep all those players seperate from 06 eligible players.

I don't see one huge combined draft happening.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
if they combine the 05 and 06 drafts (which is very unlikely) they would most likely also double the number of rounds because the nhlpa won't agree to having 290 less players getting drafted over a 2 year span. they would fight to get 2 separate drafts even if it meant a midseason draft only a few months before the next...

and if they do that then they could have round 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc were "a" rounds are 2005 picks and round 'b' are 2006 picks or something like that.

X-SHARKIE

The 2005 Draft is one of my favorites... The North American class is just as good mabey even better then 2003's...and the European class is stronger as well. Mabey not as deep but it has the potential to out do the 2003 class IMO.

This draft is full of very skilled players instead of just players who get by from being really big (Valabik,Schultz,Rogers :) So i'm really excited.

I have to agree that I think what would happen is that the NHL would hold two seperate drafts but in all honesty the league can't afford a full year lock out and I expect the 2005 draft to happen in late June 2005 :) in Ottawa.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
X-SHARKIE said:
This draft is full of very skilled players instead of just players who get by from being really big (Valabik,Schultz,Rogers :) So i'm really excited.

Based on this statement I'll begin to question how much you've seen of Schultz and Rogers, and Schultz in particular.

While size may have been enticing for some teams to take Schultz, simply watching him play ten minutes, you can clearly see that he could be 5'5 and still play the exact same game. When Washington selected him, it wasn't based on his size, it was based on his potential. Simply put, Schultz doesn't play out there on the ice with any size. He's not agressive, nor physical. The only thing he uses to his advantage based on being 6'6 is his reach.

Rogers is similar in that sense, only I expect he'll develop into a much more physical player, which he showed signs of at the Canadian Junior Camp. Over the course of the season, however, he wasn't nearly as physical as he should've or needed to be. Seems like an offseason has corrected that, however, but not until after he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

X-SHARKIE

Aaron Vickers said:
Based on this statement I'll begin to question how much you've seen of Schultz and Rogers, and Schultz in particular.

While size may have been enticing for some teams to take Schultz, simply watching him play ten minutes, you can clearly see that he could be 5'5 and still play the exact same game. When Washington selected him, it wasn't based on his size, it was based on his potential. Simply put, Schultz doesn't play out there on the ice with any size. He's not agressive, nor physical. The only thing he uses to his advantage based on being 6'6 is his reach.

Rogers is similar in that sense, only I expect he'll develop into a much more physical player, which he showed signs of at the Canadian Junior Camp. Over the course of the season, however, he wasn't nearly as physical as he should've or needed to be. Seems like an offseason has corrected that, however, but not until after he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Hey I like Valabik and Shultz, and it's hard to question the defending cup champs so i'll be interested to see what Rogers does..... I was just refering I don't expect as many 6-6 defenseman taken in this draft as there was in 2004.

One guy I can't believe I didn't mention.

BLAKE WHEELER!!! good player and good guy, but at 5th overall!! wow. I don't get it. But i'll see alot of him this year in Green Bay :)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Some 2006 draft picks have been traded if I remember correctly...

Washington has Detroit's 4th rounder in 2006
Washington also has Boston's 2nd round pick in 2006

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I wonder if the NHL teams could just get together in June and agree on the players they want from the 2005 draft. Then when a new CBA comes in, they do an official draft, and the picks and trades, etc., become public.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
NYR469 said:
if they combine the 05 and 06 drafts (which is very unlikely) they would most likely also double the number of rounds because the nhlpa won't agree to having 290 less players getting drafted over a 2 year span. they would fight to get 2 separate drafts even if it meant a midseason draft only a few months before the next...

and if they do that then they could have round 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc were "a" rounds are 2005 picks and round 'b' are 2006 picks or something like that.

I actually think the complete opposite.
I think the PA would be all for less players drafted. That would mean 290 more free agents who get ot choose where they want to play.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
MikeC44 said:
I actually think the complete opposite.
I think the PA would be all for less players drafted. That would mean 290 more free agents who get ot choose where they want to play.
Not all 300 players that usually get drafted receive a contract, very few receive one in fact, it would be desastrous for the 4-9th round guys if there were only 290 spots for 2 years of talent.

degroat*

PK said:
If I remember correctly, there was some talk a few years ago to higher the eligible age to 19. That would be the perfect time to do so, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

If they're going to change eligibility, they should do so in a way where players cannot be drafted until they turn pro, much like football and basketball.

Old Hickory

Seachd said:
I wonder if the NHL teams could just get together in June and agree on the players they want from the 2005 draft. Then when a new CBA comes in, they do an official draft, and the picks and trades, etc., become public.
they can't have any kind of a draft w/o a CBA. There are too many issues

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
They can't have a draft because the draft rules for eligibility, etc. are spelled out in the CBA. It is a negotiated agreement. Therefore NO CBA = NO DRAFT.

The only way is if the NHL declares an impass, and imposes its own rules, and attempts to get the players to jump ship from the NHLPA. Which probably won't happen, which will mean playing with replacement players, and drafting of players to be done according to whatever rules the NHL decides. Now the interesting part of this scenario is if the newly drafted player accept to play in the NHL as a replacement player and not be part of the NHLPA. It could cause some real internal dissension among players.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
They can too have a draft without a CBA. They draft the players and wait untill a new CBA to determine contract structures.

But if it is skipped, what if they have 2 sperate drafts. Say one in May, one in June. Or one in Early June, one in Middle August. Or something, you get the idea.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
NYRangers said:
They can too have a draft without a CBA. They draft the players and wait untill a new CBA to determine contract structures.
No can do. The draft is governed by rules that are collectively bargained. If there is no CBA there are no rules therefore no draft. The only way is if the NHL imposes the rules, and they cannot do that unless they declare an impasse and impose their rules.

The players would be under no obligations to accept them. If they did they would basically be out of the NHLPA. Which IMO is what the NHL is ultimately hoping for. Break up the NHLPA or weaken it so much that they can pretty well do what they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad