What about Brown?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I really like Brown. Outside of Rielly and Nylander he is probably my favorite Leaf right now. He has everything you would want in a hockey player: speed, skill, brains, and a motor that never quits. With that said, I have no problem trading him.

But if you trade him, you are trading him for an upgrade somewhere in the line up. He wont be the centerpiece of the trade, but you do not trade Brown for futures simply to free space for a prospect. At least none of the ones the Leafs currently have that are close to being ready.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
And this year Brown was put on a pure offensive line that got steady o zone starts and premier PP time and Kapanen still outpaced him. I don’t care about two years ago. Kapanen was in and out of the line up playing with Martin.

I was talking about this year Brown started the year on the 4th line.

Are you serious? You claim that broken down slowpokes like Komarov and Plekanec (he of the zero goals in 17 games after he joined the leafs) who visibly could not remotely keep up with Kapanen were better linemates? By what possible measure? They contributed almost zero offence when the line was on the ice. he was the only one of the three with any kind of energy at all. I bet you are unable to conceive why Grabner was a 25+ goal scorer for the Rangers, yet couldn't even manage even 10 with the leafs too.

so you think Martin/Moore > Plekanec/Komarov? Plekanec produced more offense last year then Martin/Moore did combined.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The only reason to trade Brownie is if you can return and better piece in return that makes the team better in the process.

Case in point say Connor Brown and 2nd/prospect for Chris Kreider type move.

where Kreider -- Matthews -- Hyman >>> Hyman -- Matthews -- Brown (if Nylander is moved to C).
Please stop with the Hyman Matthews Brown. Matthews deserves better.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Ya played a large portion of the season with Martin, Moore etc on the 4th line then got moved to the Bozak line to carry the defensive load and lower the goals/shots against.

I wouldn't say he played a large portion with Martin, Moore, etc. Brown played less than a 100 minutes in total on the 4th line, and only 46 minutes with Martin, Moore. That line put up 30 CF% with 1 goals scored, 3 goals against. In comparison, Kapanen's most 4th line time spent was with Komarov, Moore for 119 minutes where they put up 52 CF% with 3 goals scored, 1 goal against. Johnsson-Plekanec spent 36 minutes for 54 CF% with 0 goals for, 3 goals against lol. Martin-Moore-Kapanen spent 22 minutes for 51 CF% with 2 goals for, 0 against.

Just wanted to say that, but I do agree with you about Brown being underrated. Although he won't drive play, he's a very good complementary winger which we need. Brown is the best complimentary winger we have right now, but since he's a RW he gets no chance to play with lethal combos such as Matthews-Nylander or Kadri-Marner duos. Could you imagine:

Brown* - Matthews - Nylander
or
Brown* - Kadri - Marner

Amazing.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Brown should be with Kadri. They did amazing together in the year before this last one with 30 goals for Kadri and 20 for Brown while being the shutdown unit (and with Komarov on their LW).

Yes, Marner is good with Kadri, but Marner will be even better with Matthews.

Should be:

_____ - Kadri - Brown

where the blank spot goes to: Marleau, Hyman, Leivo, or Johnsson. All of those options would work out well.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When Hyman passes to Matthews or C.Brown passed to Kadri, one thing happened, they shot the puck.
And although sometimes you might think having a goal-scorer might add to your assists, it often doesn't
because your chance to get a point dies faster then if that player might pass the puck themselves.
Hyman had 8 secondary assists, C.Brown only had 4. Even Nylander who's a great play-maker only had had
13 secondary assists. Their points total can easily go up just on increased secondary assists if their
line-mates stop constantly going for low-percentage, highly predictable shots and pass the puck.
Komarov has just finished two seasons in the top 6 for shooting percentage for the Leafs. Last season,
that rate was cut in half. Luck, talent, fear of taking punishment after concussion, etc., but if he had
maintained his scoring rate, C.Brown might of had 10 extra points.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Hes a good utility 3rd liner. He shouldn't be playing in the top 6 of a good team.

He doesnt do anything well, he does everything OK.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think Brown actually had a bit of a sophomore slump last season. I think his offensive production went down and he was snake bit and a little anxious around the net. Despite all that he still put out 100% effort and played well defensively. It would be a mistake to give him up in a trade right now. He's going to have a bounce back offensive year.

Reactions: pulfordfan

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I was talking about this year Brown started the year on the 4th line.

so you think Martin/Moore > Plekanec/Komarov? Plekanec produced more offense last year then Martin/Moore did combined.

Apparently you didn't watch any of the games that Plekanec and Komarov played together with Kapanen. Who cares what Plekanec did with a Montreal jersey on? The question is whether he was any good offensively with a Leafs jersey on. And the answer is to that was an emphatic NO. Neither of those players knew what to do with Kapanen as their linemate any more than their opponents did.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kap was on pace for 15 goals, Brown had 14 so not a really big difference. Brown also had like 17 ES goals the season before that.

Ya Brown did not play with Kadri or Matthews much this year at all. He played mainly on the 4th line and then on the 3rd line with Bozak after Marner moved up to play with Kadri. He also hardly played any PP time this year. Not sure what your talking about.
on pace and actually doing it, one matters and one doesn't

Reactions: BM14 and pulfordfan

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Apparently you didn't watch any of the games that Plekanec and Komarov played together with Kapanen. Who cares what Plekanec did with a Montreal jersey on? The question is whether he was any good offensively with a Leafs jersey on. And the answer is to that was an emphatic NO. Neither of those players knew what to do with Kapanen as their linemate any more than their opponents did.

I never said Plekanec or Komarov were good... I said they were better then Moore and Martin...

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I never said Plekanec or Komarov were good... I said they were better then Moore and Martin...

I'm pretty confident in saying that Martin and Moore early in the season were better players than Plekanec and Komarov were at the end.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm pretty confident in saying that Martin and Moore early in the season were better players than Plekanec and Komarov were at the end.

would disagree there's a reason Martin was a healthy scratch in the 2nd half, and we traded for Plekanec in the first place because those guys were terrible.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Just remember that Connor Brown was stuck with Nazem Kadri as his center. Between the goals scored by Komarov and Brown... Kadri got a single secondary assist on one of Komarov's goals. There wasn't a single pass by Kadri that resulted in C.Brown scoring a goal. And Brown is very good at finding open ice. Nylander had more assists with Komarov and C.Brown and I don't think he once regularly played with either of them. C.Brown with the right center would light up the net.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Brown actually had a bit of a sophomore slump last season. I think his offensive production went down and he was snake bit and a little anxious around the net. Despite all that he still put out 100% effort and played well defensively. It would be a mistake to give him up in a trade right now. He's going to have a bounce back offensive year.

Yes a young guy with a puny data sample. They would be selling way low compared to a year ago. Why deal him and get nothing back? As part of an O'Reilly package maybe but unless there is weight to what is coming back why consider it? I am expecting him to bounce back with the increased opportunity losing three vets will create.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Add in his contractual value. Two way game, PK/PP ability, line up versatility while playing a high energy game making 2M for the next couple years. Extremely valuable for us considering we will be pressing the cap soon.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Brown absolutely needs to be moved while he has value. Egocock ruined him, he’s kissed his ass so much that he is playing without a care in the world. He wasn’t an offensive threat at all this year and he needs to be more productive. He’s very quickly becoming a hyman offensively.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Brown would be a nice trade piece because he's versatile and has a low cap-hit. Some untapped potential there too perhaps

Last edited:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He’s the the type of player if you can package him in a trade to upgrade the team, you do it in a heartbeat.

Solid but not spectacular, there’s ALOT of Connor Brown type players in the league and easily replaceable.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Brown should be with Kadri. They did amazing together in the year before this last one with 30 goals for Kadri and 20 for Brown while being the shutdown unit (and with Komarov on their LW).

Yes, Marner is good with Kadri, but Marner will be even better with Matthews.

Should be:

_____ - Kadri - Brown

where the blank spot goes to: Marleau, Hyman, Leivo, or Johnsson. All of those options would work out well.
Brown with Kadri just maximizes everything IMO. Kadri still scored 30+ goals with Brown, Marner+Matthews will be unstoppable, and if we don't sign Tavares, Nylander at center is optimal going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->