What a second Stanley Cup does.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Changing the topic back to the Cup a little bit, but...

I feel like talking about winning a Stanley Cup, no matter how POSSIBLE it is, is like talking about a goaltender still maintaining a shutout with 10 minutes left in the third. We all know it's there, and we all know it's possible, and we're ALL internally hoping for it, but for goodness sake do NOT actually verbalize it.

Until the day before the potential Cup clinching game, I'm not going to think about it yet. I think that's fair.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Changing the topic back to the Cup a little bit, but...

I feel like talking about winning a Stanley Cup, no matter how POSSIBLE it is, is like talking about a goaltender still maintaining a shutout with 10 minutes left in the third. We all know it's there, and we all know it's possible, and we're ALL internally hoping for it, but for goodness sake do NOT actually verbalize it.

Until the day before the potential Cup clinching game, I'm not going to think about it yet. I think that's fair.

So we should wait for Tripp to pop in here and ruin the chances of said event happening? :laugh:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Pretend silliness, that has no effect on the outcome?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Pretend silliness, that has no effect on the outcome?

Yeah, but so is never touching the Cup before you win it because otherwise it'll jinx you. So is not touching the Prince of Wales trophy when you win it because then you won't win the Cup.

But I don't see hockey fans calling THOSE pretend silliness that have no effect on the outcome.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, but so is never touching the Cup before you win it because otherwise it'll jinx you. So is not touching the Prince of Wales trophy when you win it because then you won't win the Cup.

But I don't see hockey fans calling THOSE pretend silliness that have no effect on the outcome.

Uh, lots of hockey fans call those pretend silliness that have no effect on the outcome. Myself included.

Even so, you're talking about guys actually playing for those awards- you might have some psychological effect on their performance. When you're talking about random fans talking about something, or wearing lucky underwear, or whatever other stupidity, there is no argument for taking that seriously at all. It has no effect, it's just pointless superstition.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Uh, lots of hockey fans call those pretend silliness that have no effect on the outcome. Myself included.

Even so, you're talking about guys actually playing for those awards- you might have some psychological effect on their performance. When you're talking about random fans talking about something, or wearing lucky underwear, or whatever other stupidity, there is no argument for taking that seriously at all. It has no effect, it's just pointless superstition.

Really?

So if you're Jordan Staal in 2006 you pick up the Cup and kiss it and touch it? Interesting...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Fair enough, I'm not saying that all players care, I'm not saying that everyone agrees. But it's silly to say that it doesn't exist, and this is the first time I've ever seen someone called out for it, so I apologize for my surprise.

OK, I'll just talk from our perspective then, because clearly everyone wants to talk about us winning the Cup. Chill out about us winning the Cup. We've got over 20 games left to play in the REGULAR season, with only a game and a half lead on the division and our starting goaltender out for the year. Then once we get to the playoffs, even if we DO make it through the East and to the Finals, we've got to deal with one of Chicago or Anaheim, which will be incredibly incredibly difficult.

I for one, am not going to get my hopes up yet. Only three teams so far, in my opinion, can make legitimate claims at having a shot at the Cup, and that's Chicago, Anaheim, and Boston. Everyone else is very beatable in a year where no one can really take a huge lead on anyone else due to the shortened season.

I think we have a chance at the Cup. But I think we're a LONG way from actually discussing that chance being realized.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
Really?

So if you're Jordan Staal in 2006 you pick up the Cup and kiss it and touch it? Interesting...

why not? if you're not a superstitious person, there's no reason not to. There's not evidence all these little "jinxes" or whatever you want to call it actually exist. But if I'm jordan staal and that means I seriously believe touching it will hurt me and that is something that can get into my head and mess me up and impact my performance then yeah I guess I wouldn't touch it. But it still doesn't make any sense to have those beliefs in the first place

All that said, if JR makes a couple smart moves for once I think we have a shot at the cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Fair enough, I'm not saying that all players care, I'm not saying that everyone agrees. But it's silly to say that it doesn't exist, and this is the first time I've ever seen someone called out for it, so I apologize for my surprise.

OK, I'll just talk from our perspective then, because clearly everyone wants to talk about us winning the Cup. Chill out about us winning the Cup. We've got over 20 games left to play in the REGULAR season, with only a game and a half lead on the division and our starting goaltender out for the year. Then once we get to the playoffs, even if we DO make it through the East and to the Finals, we've got to deal with one of Chicago or Anaheim, which will be incredibly incredibly difficult.

I for one, am not going to get my hopes up yet. Only three teams so far, in my opinion, can make legitimate claims at having a shot at the Cup, and that's Chicago, Anaheim, and Boston. Everyone else is very beatable in a year where no one can really take a huge lead on anyone else due to the shortened season.

I think we have a chance at the Cup. But I think we're a LONG way from actually discussing that chance being realized.

This team has struggled against Montreal as well, and unless there's an upset, they'll have to face either Montreal or Boston in the ECF, assuming the Canes get past Ottawa/Toronto/NJ/NYR in round 1 and Pittsburgh in round 2 (though they're 7-0 against those teams). Assuming they even still win the division, as you said.

I think most of us would be thrilled just to win a round or two, though.

MD

Dec 1, 2009
NC

While i tend to agree with you for the most part, I think it should really be up to each person whether or not they want to talk about winning a cup.

As long as this talk sticks to this thread(which can easily be ignored/hidden), then i dont see a problem with it. But thats just me.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This team has struggled against Montreal as well, and unless there's an upset, they'll have to face either Montreal or Boston in the ECF, assuming the Canes get past Ottawa/Toronto/NJ/NYR in round 1 and Pittsburgh in round 2 (though they're 7-0 against those teams). Assuming they even still win the division, as you said.

I think most of us would be thrilled just to win a round or two, though.

I'm just thrilled that we're in a favorable position to make the PLAYOFFS. It's been far too long just for that. If we lose to, say, a hot Toronto or NYR team in the first round, I certainly won't be disappointed with the season.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I wouldn't bet on it but they definitely could. What happened in the regular season means nothing in the NHL playoffs IMO. We went 0-4 against the Bruins in 08-09, only to go on to beat them in 7. We had a pretty mediocre speciality teams in 05-06, only to have a very hot special teams in the playoffs.

05-06 regular season
PP 17th 17.9%
PK 19th 81.8%

playoffs:
PP 2nd 24%
PK 6th 85.4%

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The difference between players touching or not touching trophies, and us talking about the Canes winning a cup probably boils down to one group impacting the results of hockey games, and the other group not.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I suppose, but I know many on this board that would mercilessly ridicule another team's board if we happened upon such a thread.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Yeah I don't give two ***** about ridiculous superstitions, and I went on and on in 2006 about us maybe winning the Cup. Still happened! Wow! So ignoring that foolishness....

btw...I make it a point to walk under every ladder I come across, and I open umbrellas inside every day it rains. Guess what, still here, no more bad luck than you.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't know what the numbers were in the fall of 2006, but youth hockey would probably double in enrollment.

A couple of new ice rinks would probably be built as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad