What 5 things must happen for Stars to be contenders next year?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Buying out Spezza is literally the worst decision Nill could make. You have cap space this year, and Seguin, if you can retain him, is going to get paid $10+ the very next year. It's very shortsighted.

This isn't Lehtonen/Niemi were your team falls apart if you don't buy one out.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Why ship out Shore? I get Ritchie, but I think Shore is a versital, (not otherworldly) guy

I think Shore isn't gifted enough offensively for the top six and not good enough defensively for the bottom six. He's tweener that tries really hard and I do like him way more than Ritchie but if Dallas brings someone in along with Nichushkin then he or Elie should go and I think Elie is a perfectly fine 13th forward.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
1) Top 6 RW
2) Carter Hutton or Jonathan Bernier; Bishop to remain healthy most of the season, and all of the playoffs
3) Coaching - Montgomery needs a good group of coaches to help him with transition. I hope he doesn't bring a bunch of guys with him from Colorado. I'd love a more veteran guy to work with the D. I wouldn't mind Barnes sticking around, but I'd be OK with him getting pushed into the pressbox.
4) Spezza to bounce back or Dallas added someone better. It'd go along way to having a chance against the center if we had 3 good centers.
5) The young D getting it together ASAP. That's a young, young group.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
1) Hitch is replaced by a coach who can adapt to the talent and not the other way around.
2) Trade Spezza and Methot for a scoring winger.
3) Special teams becomes a real asset but not unless #1 happens.
4) Youngsters step up. Miro and Honk become reliable blue liners and one of the young forwards takes a step forward and provides reliable secondary scoring.
5) The defense plays to Bishop’s strengths, which is to reduce his lateral movement to make saves. A stationery Bishop is a healthy Bishop.

Since #1 already took place and #3 is now looking promising as a result, I’m hopeful the rest can fall into place. Although maybe now with Montgomery as coach Spezza’s skillet will be better utilized and we won’t have to trade him. I still think we should move Methot+ to get a scoring winger, or anybody who’s decent and can play a full season, while he still has some value.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My problem with moving Methot, regardless of his injury history, is you've created a hole to fill one. Your D already includes (2) 26 year olds, 24 year old, 23 year old, and a 19 year old. The answer for me is to not slide Heatherington in as the #6. I really like the guy, but that's too young of a group. I'm fine with him sliding in for injuries. Maybe he's a full time guy the following year, but I think a veteran with this group makes a ton of sense if they are trying to be a top team next year.

There are obviously some UFA options. I've always really like de Haan. He's still young, but he has 5 year of experience. The fact that his season was cut short by injury ... IDK .... might make him willing to do a shorter deal. I doubt it. Hamhuis I guess could be a short option.

Last thing though, I have a hard time seeing Methot bringing back the type of impact forward Dallas needs. Dallas got him for a 2nd round pick 3 years in the future, and that was before he had another injury riddled season. You, might be able to recover a 2nd round pick, but I don't think you'd get a scoring winner.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
My problem with moving Methot, regardless of his injury history, is you've created a hole to fill one. Your D already includes (2) 26 year olds, 24 year old, 23 year old, and a 19 year old. The answer for me is to not slide Heatherington in as the #6. I really like the guy, but that's too young of a group. I'm fine with him sliding in for injuries. Maybe he's a full time guy the following year, but I think a veteran with this group makes a ton of sense if they are trying to be a top team next year.

There are obviously some UFA options. I've always really like de Haan. He's still young, but he has 5 year of experience. The fact that his season was cut short by injury ... IDK .... might make him willing to do a shorter deal. I doubt it. Hamhuis I guess could be a short option.

Last thing though, I have a hard time seeing Methot bringing back the type of impact forward Dallas needs. Dallas got him for a 2nd round pick 3 years in the future, and that was before he had another injury riddled season. You, might be able to recover a 2nd round pick, but I don't think you'd get a scoring winner.

I agree we should have a veteran presence back there I just don’t think it should be him. He doesn’t stay healthy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd have no problem if Dallas went with a more reliable, in terms of health, veteran defender. The interesting thing I hadn't considered is maybe Dallas thought he was the best available last year, maybe he was the only one they were really to pay for, OR maybe it's a guy Hitch pushed hard for since he's coached him before.

If Hitch was his biggest cheerleader, you could see him move on. Like I said though, I'd be thrilled if he brought back a Top 6 forward, but I think his value is likely a lot less.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I like the start we got off to in signing Monty. His play style really fits the make up of our team. Moving on from all the UFA's is the next step. If we can ship out Shore/Ritchie for picks that's a bonus as neither do a heck of a lot for our team.

Bring in one of Kovalchuk, Neal, Kane, Grabner, or JVR for some extra scoring and I think we are set.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I like the start we got off to in signing Monty. His play style really fits the make up of our team. Moving on from all the UFA's is the next step. If we can ship out Shore/Ritchie for picks that's a bonus as neither do a heck of a lot for our team.

Bring in one of Kovalchuk, Neal, Kane, Grabner, or JVR for some extra scoring and I think we are set.

Agree with Ritchie. Not so much on Shore. I think he's not as bad as some make him out to be on this board.

Reactions: Kcb12345

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Agree with Ritchie. Not so much on Shore. I think he's not as bad as some make him out to be on this board.
I don’t think we should get rid of either of them , Ritchie is a perfect 4th Line rw who can move up the lineup if needed , arguably our most physical player , reliable to get the puck out of our zone and has proven he has the ability to score at this level. Shore is probably our best playmaker besides benn seguin and rads. Could see him breaking out with Monty here next year . However , I think if nuke is coming back , we’re gonna be moving 1 winger at least , and I don’t see us trading janmark .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don’t think we should get rid of either of them , Ritchie is a perfect 4th Line rw who can move up the lineup if needed , arguably our most physical player , reliable to get the puck out of our zone and has proven he has the ability to score at this level. Shore is probably our best playmaker besides benn seguin and rads. Could see him breaking out with Monty here next year . However , I think if nuke is coming back , we’re gonna be moving 1 winger at least , and I don’t see us trading janmark .

If Ritchie can put up 10 goals in a season again I'd be shocked. Should be that player that is healthy scratched every night unless we are playing a more physical team.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Janmark, Spezza, Faksa, Pitlick and Shore I see starting baring trade/trades. That leaves 4 of 12 starting fwd spots open. So Dickinson, Nichuskin, Ritchie, Smith, Elie, Hintz, Gurianov and I guess Hanzal are also in the mix. I also like Roussel over Ritchie but he’s an UFA...? We have some young guys who have an opportunity to step up.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I agree, Shore has speed/offensive talent. I’d hate for him to go and become a guy like Reilly Smith. Although we did get Seguin in that move so... nevermind. I just hope we don’t lose him for nothing if he is moved.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think we should be worrying about Shore turning into a Smith.

When Smith was up with us in 12-13 you could sense that he was going to be a future top 6 player but Shore has never consistently impressed me like Smith did.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I don't think we should be worrying about Shore turning into a Smith.

When Smith was up with us in 12-13 you could sense that he was going to be a future top 6 player but Shore has never consistently impressed me like Smith did.

You’re a hard guy to impress on this board. I’m willing to give Shore another shot. He’s only had two full NHL seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad