What 5 things must happen for Stars to be contenders next year?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Thought I would be more positive than my last thread.....title is self explanatory, except, be specific and realistic, avoiding things like "NHL awards Stars top 3 draft picks because its in Dallas." Or, things that wouldn't have an immediate effect, like firing Nill. My swipe at the pig:

1. Miro is everything we expected and more.
2. Hitch better matches his system to his players.
3. Stars acquire a good veteran 1A goalie on a two year contract.
4. Stars acquire 2 scoring winger. One might be Robertson, but at least one with SC experience to help change depth scoring and culture.
5. No major regressions from top 4.

In essence, its the old we get two wingers, one great D and a good goalie while the rest of improvement comes from within, either staying on top of their game or rebounding.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
We need two or at least one more top 6 forwards. Two would be perfect, but we better at least add one

I'd like to move on from Lehtenon and add a younger back up. We need someone like what the Avs have with Bernier

Spezza and a couple other players need to go. Not sure how we get rid of Spezza, if we even can either

I'm going to assume Hanzal will be on our LTIR. I don't remember how that works towards our cap. But we should have tons of cap room now

I'd like to see something like

Benn - Seguin - xxx
Xxx - xxx - Rads
Janmark - Faksa - Pitlick
Shore - Smith - xxx

Not sure where Nuke will play into our lineup, and I'm undecided with Ellie, Ritchie. I do like Shore, but wouldn't cry if he was gone. My god would Tavares look good here haha

Not much out there in free agency besides a couple guys like JVR, Kane, Neal and of course JT.

On D

Lindell - Klingberg
Methot - Honka
Miro - Johns
Heather

Younger D but each pair has a puck mover and a stay home D. Miro can play either side also

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
1. Miro actually makes the lineup and develops into a legit #1D next year.
2. Dickinson, Gurianov, Hintz are all given a legit shot at the NHL level with top 6 playing time, at least for a few games. (Not gonna happen if Hitch is coach though)
3. We acquire legit top 6 wingers.
4. Nichushkin comes back and has a great season
5. Brett Ritchie is forever removed from the top line and top PP unit. Hopefully traded so Hitch doesn't have that option.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Offensive #2 center
Scoring top6 winger

We don't need much but we need quality players.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
A 2C is number one priority for me, I don't have any faith in Spezza bouncing back to be the secondary threat we need.

I'd say 2C and 3LW for me.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Janmark-X-Radulov
X-Faksa-Pitlick
Elie,Shore,Smith,Hanzal,Dickinson for the 4th line. Maybe Hintz

Even if Heiskanen comes in and immediately is a top 4 d presence I still think a vet D will be signed.

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka

If Methot has another injury plauged season thats a very young d core still. Ian Cole maybe?

No idea what will be going on with the coaches, but that will have a huge impact.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

________

Feb 6, 2006
As much as Hitchcock's coaching has helped out the team's defense, his coaching decisions have helped the offense get worse. Goal scoring is up this season. So the slight improvement by the offense on paper, means it's exactly where it was last year.

For improving the team's offense, it starts back on defense they currently use too many defenseman which aren't good at moving the puck. Next season if all 3 of Klingberg, Heiskanen and Honka are in the lineup on each game this will help out. Which will improve the team's transition game, then attack the other team with the puck, instead of dumping the puck in. They need to completely focus on puck possession, speed, and passing.
They play too much on the outside of the rink in most games, they need to attack the net and middle of the ice far more.

Powerplay is garbage still, there's tons of changes that can be made there. No reason it should be that bad.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Saw a stat a few weeks ago where Johns has the lowest average time of zone exits, i.e., it leaves D zone in something like 3.6 seconds. Klinger second, the rest probably measured in minutes rather than seconds, LOL. So, yeah, add Johns and Lindell to the starting group, leaving one slot open. Patyrn or someone else, unless you think having one Methot type does you some good.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
1) Buy out Spezza which will free cap room. Will free up around 5 million cap space.
2) Hope Hanzel retires and/or is placed on LTIR. Will free up 4.75 million cap space.
3) Resign Lehtonen to 1 one year deal for around 1.5 million. Will free up 3.5 million dollars.
4) Do not resign Dan Hamhuis and Greg Pateryn which will free up 4.5 million dollars
5) Do not resign Roussel which which will free up 2.1 million dollars
6) Trade Ritchie which will save 1.8 million
7) Sign James van Riemsdyk and Michael Grabner
8) Resign Valeri Nichushkin
9) Fire Hitch off into outer space. Don't want him anywhere near the team I've outlined below.

With Roussel, Ritchie, Spezza, Hanzel, Hamhuis and Pateryn dead weight gone and Lehtonen resigned cheap that frees 21.65 million dollars.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
James van Riemsdyk-Janmark-Radulov
Dickinson-Faksa-Michael Grabner
Shore-Smith-Pitlick
Elie extra forward

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka
Heatherington extra defender

Ben Bishop
Kari Lehtonen

WOULDN"T THIS BE A FUN DYNAMIC TEAM TO WATCH!

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
1) Buy out Spezza which will free cap room. Will free up around 5 million cap space.
2) Hope Hanzel retires and/or is placed on LTIR. Will free up 4.75 million cap space.
3) Resign Lehtonen to 1 one year deal for around 1.5 million. Will free up 3.5 million dollars.
4) Do not resign Dan Hamhuis and Greg Pateryn which will free up 4.5 million dollars
5) Do not resign Roussel which which will free up 2.1 million dollars
6) Trade Ritchie which will save 1.8 million
7) Sign James van Riemsdyk and Michael Grabner
8) Resign Valeri Nichushkin
9) Fire Hitch off into outer space. Don't want him anywhere near the team I've outlined below.

With Roussel, Ritchie, Spezza, Hanzel, Hamhuis and Pateryn dead weight gone and Lehtonen resigned cheap that frees 21.65 million dollars.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
James van Riemsdyk-Janmark-Radulov
Dickinson-Faksa-Michael Grabner
Shore-Smith-Pitlick
Elie extra forward

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka
Heatherington extra defender

Ben Bishop
Kari Lehtonen

WOULDN"T THIS BE A FUN DYNAMIC TEAM TO WATCH!
You lost me at re-sign Kari.
You really lost me at Nuke give me some of what you’re smoking.

Finally, I love Janmark, but he’s a 2/3 liner, and JVR won’t replicate his success of this year. Radulov can’t carry the second line.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
You lost me at re-sign Kari.
You really lost me at Nuke give me some of what you’re smoking.

Finally, I love Janmark, but he’s a 2/3 liner, and JVR won’t replicate his success of this year. Radulov can’t carry the second line.

Dosen't have to be Kari in goal but good luck finding a better backup. If one could be found on the cheap I would be all for it.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Dosen't have to be Kari in goal but good luck finding a better backup. If one could be found on the cheap I would be all for it.

I suppose we have to define ‘better.’ To me, it means someone who can win when it isn’t just a chance to give Bishop a rest. It’s someone who plays well, competes, and doesn’t choke when they’re the only option. (Injury to Bishop)

Sure, Kari was excellent when he wasn’t the last man on the wall, but who isn’t?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
A 2C is number one priority for me, I don't have any faith in Spezza bouncing back to be the secondary threat we need.

I'd say 2C and 3LW for me.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Janmark-X-Radulov
X-Faksa-Pitlick
Elie,Shore,Smith,Hanzal,Dickinson for the 4th line. Maybe Hintz

Even if Heiskanen comes in and immediately is a top 4 d presence I still think a vet D will be signed.

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka

If Methot has another injury plauged season thats a very young d core still. Ian Cole maybe?

No idea what will be going on with the coaches, but that will have a huge impact.

This guy breaks down during his first season when gifted 1st line minutes, stays out injured for much of his 2nd season, whines about his playing minutes in his 3rd, and then absconds to the KHL without warning, where he doesnt do all that well, and he gets rewarded with 1st line minutes when he returns?

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This guy breaks down during his first season when gifted 1st line minutes, stays out injured for much of his 2nd season, whines about his playing minutes in his 3rd, and then absconds to the KHL without warning, where he doesnt do all that well, and he gets rewarded with 1st line minutes when he returns?

its scary that we are banking top line rw on a guy who doesnt even produce very well in the khl. ive seen nothing to indicate val is ready for such a role.

Guess we could always put Ritchie back there right? Because it's been 2 seasons now and he is often times playing on our top line with top PP time. How much worse could Nichushkin really be than that? I mean seriously think about it for a second. And also, what do you suggest? We play him on the 4th line and dont give him another chance? He is still young and could still turn things around whether it looks like a longshot or not. Id be happy having a top 6 right winger that could actually possibly put up more than 30 points.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Actually, there was plenty of warning since we know he twice asked to be traded.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Got thinking about the goalie situation. Has Nill whiffed on any position more than goalie?

Tim Thomas, Anti Niemi, Bishop (good, but injured) Jonas Enroth, Anders Linback, Dan Ellis, etc. Bishop is the best signing, and no doubt the best option available at the time (Darling for one didn't play great as a starter in CAR).

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Bishop: Obviously skills are declining. Oft-injured. 32 years young next season. Signed until 2023.

What could go wrong

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Bishop's signing is great aav but probably 2-3 years too long. Which is a tool that Nill uses to get players to sign in Dallas, one that ends up screwing the Stars down the line.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I think the Bishop signing is OK and not a disaster or anything...ASSUMING one of the young kids pan out. If not...well we're goalie searching again I guess.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
1) Hitch is replaced by a coach who can adapt to the talent and not the other way around.
2) Trade Spezza and Methot for a scoring winger.
3) Special teams becomes a real asset but not unless #1 happens.
4) Youngsters step up. Miro and Honk become reliable blue liners and one of the young forwards takes a step forward and provides reliable secondary scoring.
5) The defense plays to Bishop’s strengths, which is to reduce his lateral movement to make saves. A stationery Bishop is a healthy Bishop.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad