WFAN:Bettman,McGuire,Peca and Clement interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
nomorekids said:
That's what we say around here, at least. You also can't have a season without a CBA in place, but they seem not too concerned about next year, now do they?

I think they can have a draft without a CBA, the question is what value it has. If its optional there really isn't much that anyone can object to (I wondering if this might foil some of the previously drafted players escape plans).

Otherwise nothing is going to happen until there is a CBA. Nobody is going to sign Crosby or Brule without a CBA, they have to wait it out. The NHL-NHLPA can put the clauses they want into that CBA. They might make it a rule that all prospects under 21 must can only be signed if they have been drafted. Thus Crosby would have to go through a draft to be signed. Combine that with a clause holding the missing draft immediately and the problems are solved.

Picking the draft order is going to be the biggest hurdle.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
me2 said:
I think they can have a draft without a CBA, the question is what value it has. If its optional there really isn't much that anyone can object to (I wondering if this might foil some of the previously drafted players escape plans).

No there cannot be a draft without a CBA.

The draft is by definition a collusion to restrict labor and is a blatant anti-trust violation. The only way it's legal is that it is negotiated as part of a CBA. No CBA, first person drafted goes to court, the draft is thrown out and the league pays a ****load of damages.

Of course when a player is drafted, he's not actually covered by the CBA, and could sue, but the standard player contract has a requirement that makes the player retroactively be bound by the terms of the CBA.

Of course now without a CBA, there is also no standard player contract (without collusion), so Crosby could in theory say to anyone who drafts him, F*** Off, you have no legal basis for the draft and you can't make me retroactively make me accept a basis, and sign with anyone he wants to. Let the bidding begin.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
kdb209 said:
No there cannot be a draft without a CBA.

The draft is by definition a collusion to restrict labor and is a blatant anti-trust violation. The only way it's legal is that it is negotiated as part of a CBA. No CBA, first person drafted goes to court, the draft is thrown out and the league pays a ****load of damages.

If it is a non-copulsory draft then IMHO anti-trust/collusion argument falls over because they are not colluding to control the market. Anyone that does want to go in the draft is free to take their chances as a FAs. No market has been adversely affected.

Guys taken later in the draft might want to opt in to a voluntary draft just to get taken and put under a clubs watch. If there is no draft they are floating around and having to look after themselves.

Of course when a player is drafted, he's not actually covered by the CBA, and could sue, but the standard player contract has a requirement that makes the player retroactively be bound by the terms of the CBA.

Why would a player that voluntarily entered a non-compulsory draft sue? That's just plain stupid. If they didn't want to be assigned to a team to monitor their progress what's the point asking the NHL to find them that team?

Of course now without a CBA, there is also no standard player contract (without collusion), so Crosby could in theory say to anyone who drafts him, F*** Off, you have no legal basis for the draft

Crosby wouldn't bother entering a voluntary draft if that was his attitude. He'd go straight to FA and take his chances of getting signed (about 0% without a CBA).
retroactively make me accept a basis, and sign with anyone he wants to. Let the bidding begin.

If he's prepared to wait for a NHL-NHLPA CBA, then the CBA will likely hold clauses to cover his draft year anyway. If Crosby doesn't like then tough luck. Look at the wording from the previous CBA, they can easily work something out.

8.9. Eligibility for Play in the League. No player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:

1. had been claimed in the 1994 Supplemental Draft or in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim in the 1994 Supplemental Draft or under Section 8.4(a); or

2. had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft but was unclaimed, and:

1. had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL season.

2. had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed a Player Contract which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Canadian Major Junior Hockey League season (except that if such player had signed an NHL Try-Out Form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League a Player Contract with such Try-Out club shall be the commencement of the NHL season).

3. The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i) and (ii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry Draft."

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
ChiHawks468 said:
I felt the same way. He has a good relationship with these guys on the fan and they held his feet to the fire on a couple of points.

Bettman has a terrific relationship with Mike and Chris.On the very day Bettman got the NHL job,he was on with those guys.Bettman was in Florida at an NHL BOG meeting.A Nor'easter hit the NY area that day and Bettman was asking them about the weather because he had a flight scheduled for NY that evening.In the last 12 years,Bettman has done their show 30-40 times

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Egil said:
But the cap number IS a magnet.

The key is public perception of what is going on, not reality. In terms of public perception, if you arn't spending at or near the cap, you arn't trying to compete. And if your "not trying to compete", your not selling tickets at the same rate than if you "are trying to compete". You really think Philly could get away with spending 10 mil under the cap? or Toronto? You think that if Calgary trades Iginla when they are 10 mil under the cap that they will still be considered to be "competing"?

Of course not. The statement that teams will gravitate towards a cap is EXTREMELY acurate. Individual player contracts in the NBA demonstrate this perfectly. The individual caps, instead of controlling the salaries of 10 players, as made the salaries of about 50 players the same, ALL at the cap. Its now a matter of "respect" that you are paid a "max" contract. The same thing occurs with a salary cap on a teamwide basis. If you want to be considered as "trying", you HAVE to be close to the cap.

I agree.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
Collusion!! Collusion!!!

That is what the NHLPA would scream if all teams started acting responsibly.

That's fine. The PA are the ones who offered a 24% rollback. They have acknowledged the financial problems in the NHL, and Gary Bettman has said as much. That argumement probably wouldn't hold up in court and if some of the owners really can't afford a $42.5M cap then they shouldn't spend and shouldn't worry about spending that much. Collusion is almost as much of an option as impasse at this point (none)

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
That's fine. The PA are the ones who offered a 24% rollback. They have acknowledged the financial problems in the NHL, and Gary Bettman has said as much. That argumement probably wouldn't hold up in court and if some of the owners really can't afford a $42.5M cap then they shouldn't spend and shouldn't worry about spending that much. Collusion is almost as much of an option as impasse at this point (none)

Do you really have this poor an understanding of how collusion and impasse work?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Thunderstruck said:
Do you really have this poor an understanding of how collusion and impasse work?

He is pro player and a big market fan. Its not surprising his views differ from so many here.

:dunno:

SENSible1*

Enoch said:
He is pro player and a big market fan. Its not surprising his views differ from so many here.

:dunno:

It's not surprizing that his views differ, just that they have no basis in reality.

Impasse is still very much an option.

Individual player's could, and likely would, make charges of collusion if they felt the owners were conspiring to keep wages down.

myrocketsgotcracked

Lexicon Devil said:
It's about competitive cycles. At any given time, you have teams rebuilding that wouldn't be spending nearly as much, as well as up and coming teams just competing for the first time with cheap young players. Neither of these sets of teams would be spending near the cap.
really? it seems like the oilers were rebuilding for the whole time during the last CBA then, they sure spend like it too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
nomorekids said:
anyone notice that Bettman didn't rule out a Draft? He said "it wouldn't be fair if we gave the first pick to the same team that had it last year, so obviously we'd have to figure out an arrangement"

interesting.

Well, we have our first definitive regarding draft options. They will NOT use the results of the last draft to determine order (sorry Caps fans) and WILL look to options that apply a fairness arangement. It is not much, but at least it is something and gives some clues as to how they are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad