Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then you didn't see them play against Vancouver this season. The Canucks swept that season series in convincing fashion. I understand that the Preds may be better now than they were in the first half of the season, but there are legitimate reasons why Canucks fans are feeling confident about this match-up.

Hughes is also a superstar 1D who could absolutely take over this series. He's basically been a ppg player in the playoffs up to this point in his career.
Should have been another one I should have thrown in, the season series means nothing. Nashville was one of the worst teams in the league for 2/3 of those games while Vancouver was one of the hottest. Since then both teams have moved/adjusted, especially Nashville.

I have no issue with anyone predicting the Canucks to win ( I'm doing it myself ), but basing it off the season series is just about as bad as basing it off of how the wind is blowing.

westcoastpred

Apr 19, 2017
Vancouver is a great team and is rightfully the favorite, but I do like the Preds to make a series. They've had an energy about them the last few months that I haven't seen in years. Thinking this one will go 6 or 7.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Then you didn't see them play against Vancouver this season. The Canucks swept that season series in convincing fashion. I understand that the Preds may be better now than they were in the first half of the season, but there are legitimate reasons why Canucks fans are feeling confident about this match-up.

Hughes is also a superstar 1D who could absolutely take over this series. He's basically been a ppg player in the playoffs up to this point in his career.
These games were all played last year, well before tdl and roster moves. While I do like the confidence, these are the types of posts that are just asking for blowback. Playoffs are a different beast, talking in absolutes is a surefire way to be proven wrong in life.

As a canucks fan, I'm never sure why this fan base can't have a quiet confidence to themselves, instead of beaking off every time someone challenges their views. Like we've won absolutely nothing, just enjoy the ride, let others have their pissing contests about whose got a bigger dick

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Should have been another one I should have thrown in, the season series means nothing. Nashville was one of the worst teams in the league for 2/3 of those games while Vancouver was one of the hottest. Since then both teams have moved/adjusted, especially Nashville.

I have no issue with anyone predicting the Canucks to win ( I'm doing it myself ), but basing it off the season series is just about as bad as basing it off of how the wind is blowing.
Perhaps, but I'd suggest it's also a mistake to assume the season series is irrelevant just because it was wrapped up before Christmas.

The reason the Canucks are finishing the season as a top team in the league is precisely because they have been consistently good from October through April. In other words, if the Canucks were good enough to beat the Preds in the first 3 months of the season, it's reasonable to assume they're still good enough now to beat them in the playoffs. As an example, the Canucks destroyed the Oilers in October but also beat them less than a week ago despite the fact that the Oilers absolutely kicked ass once they fired Woodcroft.

And let's not forget, the Preds were a sub .500 team in the final ten games of the season. Maybe they have regressed to being the same calibre of team they were in the first half of the season. If so, the season series becomes highly relevant to the outcome of the playoff series.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
These games were all played last year, well before tdl and roster moves. While I do like the confidence, these are the types of posts that are just asking for blowback. Playoffs are a different beast, talking in absolutes is a surefire way to be proven wrong in life.

As a canucks fan, I'm never sure why this fan base can't have a quiet confidence to themselves, instead of beaking off every time someone challenges their views. Like we've won absolutely nothing, just enjoy the ride, let others have their pissing contests about whose got a bigger dick
I haven't spoken in absolutes. Nor am I beaking off or measuring dicks. I'm discussing things on a discussion board. I'm not asking for blowback but I am interested in thoughtful responses, even if they challenge my views.

Stop trying to gatekeep. If you think one of my posts has gone too far, then report it to the mods and let them sort it out.

Read post #182 if you're interested in what I have to say in response to the bolded.

FWIW, outright dismissing results of games prior to an arbitrary date is basically a perfect example of "talking in absolutes."

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t even know if I’ve seen a Canucks highlight this year so I have no idea what to expect, but I hope the Preds win.

The fewer Canadian team in round 2, the more exciting the hockey will be to watch.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: stampedingviking

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
As a Nashville fan I don't like this matchup, but then again there weren't any good options in the West this year. We struggled in the season matchups as Vancouver matched or exceeded our team speed, and the Garland line was problematic. Saros has been pedestrian at best lately, so unless he eats his Wheaties then I can't see this going past six games. Some Nashville fans will be upset saying it was dumb to have a season like this with a bunch of vets, but I am just enjoying that fact that we still get to watch hockey for at least another couple weeks and anything can happen.
Good analysis.

I also think it's worth noting that a lot of people thought Nashville would be a tirefire.

I know there are a lot of nerds on hfboards who think that one team should win the cup and 31 should be tanking, but there's a lot to be said for building and having a culture of accountability and work ethic and the Preds have always been known for that.

Having your superstar D and some good forwards come through along with your culture and your young foot soldiers turn you into a relevant and dangerous team is nothing to scoff at.

Look at San Jose, Buffalo, Edmonton prior to 2017, Florida for like 2 decades, Columbus. Making the tanking deal with the devil often costs you your soul.

I think this will be a good and fun series and I expect the Canucks to win, but it will shock nobody if the Preds pull it out, and it WILL surprise me if the Predators don't show up and make us aware that we had to earn it if we do win.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I haven't spoken in absolutes. Nor am I beaking off or measuring dicks. I'm discussing things on a discussion board. I'm not asking for blowback but I am interested in thoughtful responses, even if they challenge my views.
I'm sorry if you took that as an attack on you, that was a general spoken thought on how I see the arguments from the fan base.
Stop trying to gatekeep. If you think one of my posts has gone too far, then report it to the mods and let them sort it out.
I can't stop your views, I don't have the power nor am I expecting to control any terms coming from anyone. I spoke my opinion, i won't lose sleep over the actions of strangers on a forum. I don't need mods, I find it quite funny that would even be brought up.
Read post #182 if you're interested in what I have to say in response to the bolded.

FWIW, outright dismissing results of games prior to an arbitrary date is basically a perfect example of "talking in absolutes."
And no, that is actually not talking in absolutes, it is the exact opposite. Pointing out the ocurrence of any situation today will not guarantee the same occurrence tomorrow, is the exact opposite of talking in absolutes. I think you need to understand what the term means before saying such. I spoke a fact that the game's played in the past don't guarantee anything in the future. I didn't even lean in any direction, i stated the playoffs are a different beast. Absolutes suggest there is only one way to do things, which I did not. Cheers

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you believe previous playoff experiences matters, then I don't think you can ignore the playoff experience of the coaches. Tocchet has the edge there, imo.
Tocchet has only one round of playoff experience, which he obviously lost. Brunette has two, one of which he won. I'm not saying that Brunette has the edge, but I don't see how Tocchet has it, unless you mean as a player, but that doesn't correlate with coaching success.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Tocchet has only one round of playoff experience, which he obviously lost. Brunette has two, one of which he won. I'm not saying that Brunette has the edge, but I don't see how Tocchet has it, unless you mean as a player, but that doesn't correlate with coaching success.
He was an assistant coach in Pittsburgh during the cup wins in 2016 and 17

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sprinkle in some overtime games here and there. close physical game. canucks D will make preds forwards a living hell in the bluepaint if they go near demko. i can guarantee you that. nucks in 5

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He was an assistant coach in Pittsburgh during the cup wins in 2016 and 17
OK, but I don't think that that translates to having an edge as head coach. John Stevens was an assistant coach for both Kings cup wins, but, once promoted to head coach, went on to get swept by an expansion team under a coach who hadn't won anything at the NHL level. Being an assistant with limited responsibilities and being a head coach that's responsible for everything are very different, IMO.

Last edited:

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Vancouver has been a tough matchup for Nashville for a few years now. The wins have been close and the losses have been big (2-4 goals big typically). It's been a high scoring year but either way Saros' numbers and performance have been disappointing. Unless the defense and Saros step up, Vancouver will take this. It's been a while since we've seen this matchup but Nashville will have to tighten up their goaltending and d-zone play. To me, Vancouver is the superior team for sure, but Nashville definitely has the core necessary to take the series if some of the stars on Vancouver don't perform as expected, Demko especially.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Preds are a gritty defensive team. But they've been that for a lot of years, and for a while they also had scoring talent too. It wasn't enough then, it's sure not enough now. As they are now, the grit and defense won't take them far.

Van in 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad