Western Conferance half way point

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Okay so as we all know brock gave predictions at the beginning of the season as to who would win each division and where teams would be at the end of the year so i figured for fun id see how we he is doing at the half way point of the season.

1) St Louis Blues projected 7th

The biggest reason why this team jumped from 7th to 1 starts on the back end where they shored up there biggest weakness in goal shipping giggy out and aquireing Jimmy Howard who has been lights out.

2) Calgary Flames projected 4th

The Flames have been on a large skid which saw them lose the top spot in the west but there still the same strong team that they have been all year no major changes other than in net where dipetro has been replaced by budaj. but why mess with what is working??

3) San Jose Sharks projected 6th

Aquiring Dany Heatly was a big move for this club it pushed them from 3rd in the pacific to now first but in a heated battle with the Dallas Stars that sees them trading spots regularly.

4) Colorado Avalanche projected 5th

Not a big jump one spot difference and the same team no suprise that there up there with Backstrom, Crosby and a host of others and Hiller manning the pipes.

5) Dallas Stars projected 13th

The biggest jump up in this review the stars issue in many eyes was depth and offensive talent the star addressed one need in depth aquireing a bunch of players for late picks. The biggest trade came when the trade of Zach Parise came expected to plumpet to the standing it has infact pushed the team which is the 2nd highest offense in the entire league.

6) Nashville Predators projected 3rd

No big changes to this line up the key though is the fact that the central has gone and addressed its biggest needs making it a tough division to play in once again.

7) Edmonton Oilers projected 11th

They addressed there biggest need by adding giggy they have made a push for themselves with all players stepping up when the team needs it most.

8) Vancover Canucks projected 2nd

The Canucks had started the season out horribly and with the Flames and Avs dominating the canucks can make at best a push for 5th unless the teams there chasing collapse the rest of the year.

9) Detroit Red Wings projected 10th

They were leading the central division and were making a strong case for themselves most of the year but the injures have finnally caught up to them and they seem to be falling farther and farther down the standings. Making a bid for king Henrik might be wise now ;)

10) Columbus Blue Jackets projected 8th

Were near the bottom of the standings most of the year but smart trading on Dougs part has seen them start surging up the ladder again but still looking outside the playoffs atm.

11) Phoenix Coyotes projected 12th

The Coyotes seemed to have taken advantage of the Pacific as they lead it for quite awhille a few costly losses to division rival stars and then playing outside the pacific seems to have cost this team big time as they slip from 2nd to 11th but still in the playoff picture.

12) Chicago Blackhawks projected 14th

The Hawks are yet another victum of the power struggle that is the central division the Hawks were in and out of the playoffs till the surging jackets and Canucks came in.

13) Anahim Ducks projected 1st

What happened is the question Ducks fans are asking themselves after taking first in the west last year and an expected better lineup the Ducks seemed to have hit a wall maybe a shake up is in order to bring glory back to the franchise or is this a trap and the Ducks are just waiting for the right time to strike only time will tell.

14) Los Angles Kings projected 9th

The Kings have some talent and there young lack of grit and experiance is why this team is here but they have many young rising stars for which the franchise will continue to build around

15) Minnisota Wild projected 15th

The Team has a bright future ahead of it with some solid prospects in there farm and Patrice Bergeron on the roster but aside from that there isnt much on this team will benift greatly again from the high draft choice.

Hope you guys enjoy this is just my opinion on the rise and fall of teams on this list.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
2) Calgary Flames projected 4th

The Flames have been on a large skid which saw them lose the top spot in the west but there still the same strong team that they have been all year no major changes other than in net where dipetro has been replaced by budaj. but why mess with what is working??

I seem to have turned around the skid. I got creative with my lines and really messed it up. Got Budaj simply to give my self an extra 3 million of cap room (or a 5 mil salary or so) at the deadline to improve my 2nd line.

Budaj has actually been decent, going 4-1, although not as good as DiPietro was.

Nice write-ups Zac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad