West-adjusted history: No St Louis in 3 Finals

chooch*

Can anyone (and I'm looking at you Evil Speaker, Hockey Outsider, pnep etc) give West Division Adjusted stats ie remove all goals scored by a player against West division teams and then prorate the remainder over actual number of games played. Same for points. Just East Coast teams.

Can you do it for the Hulls, Espos (Who dined out lavishly at the banquet of expansion), and other top 20 players.
Lets see what they were really doing in a hypothetcial sense (not perfect measure but still...)

Can it be done for teams also? I mean what the heck were the St Louis Blues doing in 3 straight Finals?

By West , I mean original 1967 until the Flyers won and then whatever division the Oilers were in - use your best WestRadar. No East Coast teams should be included - thats East of Chicago.

Thanks

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Can anyone (and I'm looking at you Evil Speaker, Hockey Outsider, pnep etc) give West Division Adjusted stats ie remove all goals scored by a player against West division teams and then prorate the remainder over actual number of games played. Same for points. Just East Coast teams.
If they've got this, I've got some requests myself ...

I mean what the heck were the St Louis Blues doing in 3 straight Finals?
The NHL set the playoff format from 1968-70 to ensure that an expansion team had a shot at the Cup each year to build excitement for the new cities; that's why the Original Six were in one division and the Next Six were in the other.

Note that the Blues were 3rd in their division in 1967-68 but got to the Finals and lost all 4 games to the Canadiens by a single goal (twice in OT); in '68-69 and '69-70 they won the Western Division - in fact, in '68-69 their record was better than Toronto (who was 4th in the East) and in both years they were the only expansion team to finish with an above .500 record.

I'll throw this out, though (don't have this for the other "Next Six" teams)
Blues vs. the East
'67-68: 3-12-5
'68-69: 9-13-8 (0-5-1 vs. Montreal, 9-8-7 vs. the other 5)
'69-70: 7-19-4

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Can you do it for the Hulls, Espos (Who dined out lavishly at the banquet of expansion), and other top 20 players.
Lets see what they were really doing in a hypothetcial sense (not perfect measure but still...)

Can it be done for teams also? I mean what the heck were the St Louis Blues doing in 3 straight Finals?

By West , I mean original 1967 until the Flyers won and then whatever division the Oilers were in - use your best WestRadar. No East Coast teams should be included - thats East of Chicago.

Thanks

As Irish Blues states, it was an 'expansion' format, and absolutely moot in discussing eighties hockey. As also has been well reviewed, for many years teams like LA were in the East with the whoop-it-up against the Washington Capital Montreal Canadiens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Here's the "East-only" standings for 1967-68:

Team | W | L | T | PTS | GF | GA
Montreal | 26 | 17 | 7 | 59 | 160 | 121
Boston | 23 | 18 | 9 | 55 | 174 | 148
Toronto | 23 | 20 | 7 | 53 | 132 | 120
NY Rangers | 22 | 19 | 9 | 53 | 143 | 138
Chicago | 17 | 22 | 11 | 45 | 135 | 173
Detroit | 13 | 28 | 9 | 35 | 147 | 191

Thanks to pnep for the code :)

chooch*

Here's the "East-only" standings for 1967-68:

Team | W | L | T | PTS | GF | GA
Montreal | 26 | 17 | 7 | 59 | 160 | 121
Boston | 23 | 18 | 9 | 55 | 174 | 148
Toronto | 23 | 20 | 7 | 53 | 132 | 120
NY Rangers | 22 | 19 | 9 | 53 | 143 | 138
Chicago | 17 | 22 | 11 | 45 | 135 | 173
Detroit | 13 | 28 | 9 | 35 | 147 | 191

Thanks to pnep for the code :)

Thats intersting; can you do it for the 80's?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

Thanks
Don't mention Hull as "dining lavishly at the banquet of expansion" He was scoring over 50 pre expansion when no one else was whilst playing 14 games a year against your beloved Habs. Espo & lafleur were the first guys to feast on the "expansion banquet"

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad