Wes O'neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
A couple of scouting reports had issues with his decision-making. RLR had some concerns about his defensive game. While he's an excellent selection (IMO) for the Islanders, he's also a long term project who is likely not going to be ready for the NHL for at least another two years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
From what I heard his play on the ice was that of a player stricken with Down Syndrome.

He is supposedly one of the slowest, most stupid players but blessed with all world skills.

Rico Fata on defense minus the speed anyone?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
A couple of scouting reports had issues with his decision-making. RLR had some concerns about his defensive game. While he's an excellent selection (IMO) for the Islanders, he's also a long term project who is likely not going to be ready for the NHL for at least another two years.

While O'Neill's said he'll play where they isles want him to,the Isles scouts are saying he'll need 4 yrs of college.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CREW99AW said:
While O'Neill's said he'll play where they isles want him to,the Isles scouts are saying he'll need 4 yrs of college.

Damn right he will.

I say 4 years college and 3 in the AHL.

He needs to smarten his game up a LOT. He is no-where near ready for the NHL. Not at all.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/extras.cgi?2004NHLDraft-Profiles1to25

24. Wes O'Neill, D, University of Notre Dame (CCHA) -- 6-4, 200 L (38 GP, 2-10-12, 28 PIM)
Is another draft-day wild card, mainly because there isn't a consensus among scouts with regards to his upside potential. Enjoyed a solid freshman campaign with the Fighting Irish in 2003-04, and also played for Canada at the World under-18 tournament in Minsk (7 GP, 1-1-2, +4, 2 PIM). However, he struggled against some of the smaller, shiftier forwards in the tournament and needs more work on his lateral mobility. He may improve once he turns pro and gains more experience against top competition. Projects as a top-six defenseman at the NHL level, but his potential may range from No. 2 rearguard to career minor-leaguer.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CREW99AW said:
and you've been scouting how long?

Testy because I say something negative about an Islanders prospect?

O'neil has some of the most work to do of anyone drafted this year.

I don't knock most of his skills at all. He can be an all-star in this league, easily. EASILY. But he must smarten up his play. One of the reasons that Rico Fata might have been ruined early on was that he was rushed to the NHL without getting the seasoning that he needed. He needed to finish out his juniors campaign and spend a few years in the minors.

And I'm one for EVERY college player to spend all four years in college. I think it's silly for them to leave school early.

But with him, he'll likely need that and a few (2-3) seasons in the minors. I say he's 4-6 years away from competing in the NHL. I may be off base down the road, but his smarts are why he dropped. No other reason.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reveille said:

I don't knock most of his skills at all. He can be an all-star in this league, easily. EASILY. But he must smarten up his play. One of the reasons that Rico Fata might have been ruined early on was that he was rushed to the NHL without getting the seasoning that he needed. He needed to finish out his juniors campaign and spend a few years in the minors.

And I'm one for EVERY college player to spend all four years in college. I think it's silly for them to leave school early.

But with him, he'll likely need that and a few (2-3) seasons in the minors. I say he's 4-6 years away from competing in the NHL. I may be off base down the road, but his smarts are why he dropped. No other reason.

To put things in perspective, Tim Gleason dropped to the latter stages of the 1st round in his draft year due to questions about his decision making. This despite having all-world physical talent. O'Neill, possessing similar, perhaps superior physical talent dropped all the way to the 4th round. Makes you wonder how poor his on ice decision making really is! :eek:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
To put things in perspective, Tim Gleason dropped to the latter stages of the 1st round in his draft year due to questions about his decision making. This despite having all-world physical talent. O'Neill, possessing similar, perhaps superior physical talent dropped all the way to the 4th round. Makes you wonder how poor his on ice decision making really is! :eek:

It's horrendous.

He is either going to be an all-star or an ECHLer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Reveille said:

actually I posted that the kid has alot of work before him,both he and the isles scouts admit that.You'd comment that it'd be 4 yrs of college,then 3 yrs in the ahl, which is what caused me to ask how long you'd been scouting.

Now you've backed off that 7 yr number and are saying 4-6 yrs.

His situation reminds me of Ryan Caldwell's.His decision making stunk too and the isles are very pleased with what 4 yrs of colege has done for him

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
From someone who has seen O'Neill play, I agree he needs to finish out his college career first. He was a true freshman, so he has three years of college left. He will be 20-21 years old.

Add in 2 years of AHL time and if he continues to improve, he would reach the NHL at the ripe old age of 23-24 years old. :eek:

Doesn't seem too bad when you look at it this way. 5-6 years seems like a long time but the kid is just that, a kid. He needs the time to mature and grow.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Gleason can skate and has good mobility. I have seen Notre Dame twice and O'Neil struggles east west. As a bigger boy if he gets the right instruction and works his a"" off on his pivots he may still make the show but is a long shot IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
eye said:
Gleason can skate and has good mobility. I have seen Notre Dame twice and O'Neil struggles east west. As a bigger boy if he gets the right instruction and works his a"" off on his pivots he may still make the show but is a long shot IMO.

That's my reasoning when I say he'll need a few years of seasoning in the AHL. At minimum.

He was originally an offensive defenseman but couldn't find that game in the NCAA. Who knows if he'll ever become that eleite offensive defenseman he was tagged as last year. I think he lost it for good, personally. Let's see. He might become a steady two-way defenseman but he better improve his on-ice intelligance and his mobility or his ship will sink fast.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
eye said:

So let's see, he's gone from potential top 10 pick last year to a longshot to even make the nhl
:rolleyes:

THN's scouts don't have a problem with his mobility.It's his decision making.

SELECTED BY NEW YORK, ROUND 4, PICK 17, OVERALL PICK 115

The body is willing, but the brain doesn't always work as well as quickly. That about sums up Wes O'Neill.

He is a pro package in waiting when you look at his size, skating ability and blistering shot.

"But my big concern is his decision-making at times," said a scout. "He doesn't process the game as well as other top draft prospects. It is the mental part of the game that worries me."

O'Neill is a straight-ahead skater who will jump into the rush from time to time. His shot impresses scouts for its speed and accuracy, but he could get it off faster, which speaks to the processing part of the game.

"You have to love the size and his mobility, if that is what you are looking for back there," said a scout.

Another question mark is O'Neill's meanness. He does not have a real physical presence, although he involves himself in the game.

"He has that capability to be a physical force, but you have to get it out of him," said a scout. "He is not a physical guy, but he has the tools to become one. He is not a cruncher, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have it in him."

YEAR TEAM LEA. GP G A Pts. PIM
'02-03 G. Bay USHL 50 2 15 17 79
'03-04 N. Dame CCHA 38 2 10 12 28
Canada WU18 7 1 1 2 2

The Hockey News says: 'Project' defenseman

-- The Hockey News

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Reveille said:
It's horrendous.

He is either going to be an all-star or an ECHLer.

Isles got a steal. If they would have used their 1st rounder on him, i'd think they were nuts. But, they burned a 4th rounder on a guy that could either be an all-star or an ECHLer...like every other 4th rounder.

At least this guy has tremendous skills, unlike most 4th rounders.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pavel datsyuk said:
Isles got a steal. If they would have used their 1st rounder on him, i'd think they were nuts. But, they burned a 4th rounder on a guy that could either be an all-star or an ECHLer...like every other 4th rounder.

At least this guy has tremendous skills, unlike most 4th rounders.

I seen him at the Canada Games for team Ontario and I thought he was a great player. Had a great shot from the point, great passing added alot of offense, big body, showed alot of pro potential and looked like a 1st rounder almost for sure. Played in the NCAA and had his game changed to a defensive d-man and it took him out of his element on the ice and he looked lost at times. I think he is a player who would benifit from playing CHL as I think he should switch next year and play OHL. He was a complete steal for them in the 4th round because he has awsome potential and all he has to do is get his game back with some confidence and he will be on the top prospects charts IMO.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Steal of the 4th round. I wanted my Thrashers to take him.

It's a high risk/high reward deal with little at stake--a 4th round choice.

Isle made a very nice choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad