• Ekblad

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Provorov

Votes: 70 44.9%

• Total voters

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I have no idea what game score even is. And I would prefer no D in the league over Werenski the only flaw he has is he played college hockey for the state up north. But you could offer me any D in the league and I would decline because Werenski is the complete package of elite offense and defense and he is only 20. So a Karlson or Doughty or whoever would be a no for me because Z will be that only he's already here and younger.

This is incredible

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
And good for you. Looking at the poll, you are not alone. But also looking at the poll, you are not necessarily right.

Provy produced as well as Werenski at ES last year.
Provy lugs around AMac whereas Werenski gets Jones.
Werenski produces more on the #1 PP than Provy on the #2 unit.

If I need to shut someone down or need a Dman for the last minute to hold a lead, I pick Provy easily.
If I need to kill a penalty, Provy is the obvious choice.
If I need a goal at ES, it's a coin flip.
If I need a PP goal, I go with Werenski...unless I can take Ghost instead.

Provy will never likely put up the points Werenski will because of Ghost. And that's ok. Provy is needed too much defensively and on the PK.
See the thing with ES points and Werenski also has to do with what you mentioned with who these guys are paired with. Provy is your puck mover on that D thats going to shoot the puck for the rebound goal or is going to be the one setting up your scorers with the passes from the blue line. Werenski on the other hand who is just as skilled on that end of the Ice and can set up guys just as well as Z which is why they both had similar points last year. The jackets only ever have 2 D total on all PP units and that's Z on the top and Jones on the 2nd unless Z just took a shift and needs a break Seth can do PP1. But point being while Provy will get majority of his D pairings ES points Jones and Werenski likely split a ton so hos points actually drop because his partner.

And as far as.the PK goes our team is filled with top teir caliber shut down guys so Werenski never gets time to play there. He would be just as good as a Provy the way he uses his stick and just completely shuts down the passing/shooting lanes but with JJ/Savard/Murray/Jones why waste Z when you can keep him fresh ES and on the top PP.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
See the thing with ES points and Werenski also has to do with what you mentioned with who these guys are paired with. Provy is your puck mover on that D thats going to shoot the puck for the rebound goal or is going to be the one setting up your scorers with the passes from the blue line. Werenski on the other hand who is just as skilled on that end of the Ice and can set up guys just as well as Z which is why they both had similar points last year. The jackets only ever have 2 D total on all PP units and that's Z on the top and Jones on the 2nd unless Z just took a shift and needs a break Seth can do PP1. But point being while Provy will get majority of his D pairings ES points Jones and Werenski likely split a ton so hos points actually drop because his partner.

And as far as.the PK goes our team is filled with top teir caliber shut down guys so Werenski never gets time to play there. He would be just as good as a Provy the way he uses his stick and just completely shuts down the passing/shooting lanes but with JJ/Savard/Murray/Jones why waste Z when you can keep him fresh ES and on the top PP.

I feel like the logic used here might be wrong but it's so incoherent I can't tell.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Gotta love Provorov. I wonder what the contract comparisons will be due to Provy having less powerplay points.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

So you are saying that Werenski's points would go up if paired with AMac instead of Jones? Interesting take.

I don't agree because Werenski's would need to worry about defence a whole lot more covering for a 3rd pairing men while playing against top lines.

Werenski has the luxury of knowing Jones has his back if a turnover occurs. Provy does not. He needs to be extra careful out there.

Regardless, both are great young Dmen. Both teams are happy the way the draft fell and would not change it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wow did this become a stupid argument. Their usage is different because their circumstances are different. They're both really good. Let's revisit in a few years. Or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad