Where are we on Ron Hainsey?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Reactions: Maple Leafs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone who thinks he's a bad D-man just hain-sey'in him play too often.

Reactions: Kurtz

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
We swapped Hunwick for Hainsey with Pittsburgh essentially...

Oh look at their goals against over there!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Anyone paying attention knew he was a decent D. I am pretty happy with him. Not the big shiny star some were hoping for but certainly an upgrade. He does a lot of little smart things over the course of a game, we could use a couple more of him.

MatthewNylander

Oct 17, 2017
Didnt see a thread for the big man and thought he deserved one. Tbh, I didnt expect much from Hainsey coming into the season but he's been a surprise so far imo. Its still early however and I know there were a few that liked the signing but I wasnt really one of them. If this is what we can expect from him throughout the season, then I'm a happy camper.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-a-2-year-deal-6-mil-3-mil-aav.2365667/page-8
I can honestly say I am surprised how good he is defensively, I was really surprised when Lou talked about playing him playing top pair with Reilly. But I am pleasantly surprised and I wa wrong he fits in good and is very stable . Hope he rubs off on all our other developing d-man

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We swapped Hunwick for Hainsey with Pittsburgh essentially...

Oh look at their goals against over there!

Bit of a higher cap hit for Hainsey, but one less year and lower total contract. Any risk there is negated by the reward for a player who can slot in the top 4 and be a solid boost to the PK. Helping to maximize our investment in Rielly too; looking like a really nice pairing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I questioned it, but wasn't overly negative. I knew he tested well in analytics like GAR, but wasn't great corsi/fenwick wise. I think he's been a notable upgrade on Hunwick and has really helped Rielly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wish the search function worked, because I’d love to look at that Hainsey signing thread again.

He’s just such a solid player. Does his job.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game... They even wear the same number... This is quietly becoming an amazing off-season move.

Guess Leafs Management know what they are doing after all.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I was concerned about his skillset wearing down at his age, but his lack of panic makes up for it. I don't think I've seen him really have to scramble on a play yet even though he's been in some situations where I'd be expecting it from anyone else.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I questioned it, but wasn't overly negative. I knew he tested well in analytics like GAR, but wasn't great corsi/fenwick wise. I think he's been a notable upgrade on Hunwick and has really helped Rielly.

the corsi/fenwick wasn't great, but the xgf was.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, its not a big surprise given that is a significant metric in GAR (atleast the model I was looking at), which labelled him a competent top 4 D.

to be fair, corsica being down all summer screwed us all.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I wish the search function worked, because I’d love to look at that Hainsey signing thread again.

It's not pretty, but a small percentage of people were correct about Hainsey.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...sey-to-a-2-year-deal-6-mil-3-mil-aav.2365667/

My first post about Hainsey (#241):

"It's a little bizarre that people are slotting him in as #7 or 8. He played more ATOI last year than Zaitsev and Gardiner. Was behind only Letang on the Pens D in ATOI and led the team in PK minutes. Before the trade he was 3rd in Carolina ATOI and led team in PK minutes. The year before that he was 2nd in Carolina ATOI and led the team in PK minutes. He played 97 games last year and didn't seem to be slowing down.

Certainly not a D I wanted the Leafs to pick up, but he is better than people are saying, and I am sure that he is being brought in either to play on the top 4 or to play on the bottom pairing while smoothing a rookie like Dermott into the lineup. The leafs not going after a big name, and not signing for more than 2 years, at least to me, make clear their intentions of building up their D from within."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Me on Hainsey (One of many in support)

"I think this was actually our target and we outbid PIT. Hainsey is a better fit for our needs. Morgan NEEDS a guy that can do what he does.

Totally a targeted upgrade and the best available player fittig the criteria."

-pg20 Hainsey deal thread.

Reactions: Auston Marlander

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The difference between Hainsey and Hunwick is that Hunwick relied a LOT more on his skating than Hainsey does. Hainsey is obviously bigger and stronger, and is really solid on his skates. He moves the puck efficiently and doesnt screw around.

Hunwick had to constantly keep his feet moving to be effective. If he didnt we could be caught like a pylong

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
there is no comparison between hunwick and hainsey.

Hainsey is a career shutdown top 3/4 dman, hunwick is a career borderline nhler.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think most of the Leafs fans specially on our own Leafs board were pretty please with this both $ and the term and this is proving to be the good decision and we are please with this game to date

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->