Were the Red Deer Rebels the worst Memorial Cup winner in last 30 years?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Loved the team and was living in Red Deer at the time, went to a lot of games and they toughed them out.

I remember being surprised they even won the WHL title after the year of the Hitmen seeming unstoppable with Brendl and another frosty tip guy that never amounted to anything but was drafted by the Rangers...

Made Memorial Cup tournament and won it all. When Kyle Wanvig was the superstar with Justin Mapletoft who could be doing anything on earth and nobody would know these days, Jim Vandermeer on D, Colby Armstrong as second line C and Martin Erat came over as a ringer. But besides that I don't know any of them played more than 5 games in NHL.

Sutter coached, does he get the credit?

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
London in 2014 was definitely the worst host. 0-3, only 4 goals for, never held the lead the whole tourney and got blown out in one game. And that game was their "chance at redemption" against the team that put them out in the league playoffs.

I'm fairly confident their fans don't mind though, considering they also went in 2012, 2013 and won the whole thing in 2016.

Totally different than what the OP is talking about. Why compare a champion to a 0-3 team?

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
Totally different than what the OP is talking about. Why compare a champion to a 0-3 team?

Yup. That's my bad. Definitely thought the OP had titled the thread "...Memorial Cup HOST..." Will delete.

See kids, this is why you shouldn't post late at night after getting off the evening shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad