Well That Was Fun...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
tumblr_p6uhu2IXTM1w8vvh3o1_540.gif

Feel free to use this thread as a cathartic means of releasing the built up anger and sadness over what has transpired this season. Post gifs, talk crap about players/coaches/management, anything.

Just remember to attack the team/organization, not each other.

Reactions: Aja and kuzy

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don’t care who we draft or sign, getting excited to watch this team with Q still behind the bench is impossible for me.

Thanks for all he’s done, but it’s time to move on.

I get that, but we can still be excited for DeBrincat, Schmaltz, Saad/Kane scoring more, and Forsling breaking out.

Reactions: Central PA Hawk Fan

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
So we had a down year ... big woop.
Now we get a top 7 pick ish ... we get a healthy Crow back ... we get a solid FA D
What we will never again get however is a younger Toews, Seabs or Keith nor Hossa unfortunately ...
You know I really do believe that with some players ( not all ) the incredible grind of the PO's ( not to mention the 82 game prequel ) really takes an effect on their bodies and in particular their brains. For all those posters out there crapping on Toews in particular all I can say is ... beep .. beep .. beep ( back the *!@* up ).

Reactions: bayshoni

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I would like any Q supporter to point out a single positive adjustment he made throughout this season. Just one.

Power play adjusted and worked?
PK adjusted and worked?
Line combos adjusted and worked?
Game planning and strategizing in Crow's absence made and worked?
D zone coverage adjusted and worked?

I'd love to be able to LTIR Toews and maybe out of necessity Crow.

Get Holtby and E. Karlsson.

New coach, team fixed

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I would like any Q supporter to point out a single positive adjustment he made throughout this season. Just one.

PK adjusted and worked?

New coach, team fixed

EK or Taveres?

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Hard pressed to see much improvement next year under Q. Sure, if Crow comes back that is a huge help. And if Schmaltz, Cat, Ducleair, Kamph, Hino, Murphy, Sikura --- the young guys improve and grow... the Hawks will be better --- by quite a bit. So... beating 76 pts should be easy. Getting 90-94 or so? Hmnn... not sure. Maybe?!

I would expect a lesser Toews, a lesser Duncs and a lesser Seabs next year. Kane? Not sure.

I would think the absolute best one could hope for (unless some serious changes are made between now and then) would be that the Hawks squeak into the playoffs and play then 4 more games next season than this. Or... perhaps the Hawks are about the same next season as this (if an injury or two takes place or other issues crop up). That would seem to be the window. Until Seabs and Toews are off the books and Q is out --- then this is pretty much what to expect, I would think.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Not buying any excuses for Tires. ..3 straight crappies seasons ...but he banked $39 million smackeroos so like the "What,Me Worry?" dork on the covers of Mad Magazine ,our #19 can keep making the commercials and pretend he is still an NHL star and his adulation g fans can bask in the memory of what he once was. ..but for anyone expecting a rebound season to 28-30 goals and 40 assists and +25 or better...forget it...he is already in retirement mode with 5 more years left on his deal..A $10.5 playing like a $5.2 .....not good ROI ...

AND yet...he was not the worst guy from our core who went over the cliff...if you can imagine..

Divan Keith fell real hard this season ...fumbles pucks...lost speed...list focus...weak stick checks...cannot stop anyone at the net. ..his compete never looked into the game..A shadow of his alk-sttar glory days.. And he is under a delusion that he can okay till age 45 ...He looks finished at 35 now...

Seas. .we all see the liss of speed and ability to move ..and embarrassing as to how young forwards go around and past him do easily now...Also cannot play as many minutes ...so we have a $6.8 playing like a 3rd pair dman...Hard to watch..we can see he wants to do better but the legs just do not co-operate.
So I our vaunted top pair D has been reduced to rubbish ..and the rest of the d-corps behind them has little experience and dubious talent especially in defending...Further when Connor Murphy started the season he looked somewhat competent and useful as a more physical dman..but by season end Q had messed him up so much he looked simply awful and lost any speed or agility ...He looked like he did not believe g in the NHL ...

Team wise...Hawks fail in so many ways...cannit execute even basic clears and exits ....sometimes even 3 of our guys all get chances to get pucks out in a sequence ..but magically pucks get turned over to or kept in by the opps...so we spend way too long in our zone ,running around like a Chinese fire drill and poor defending results in a goal against ..No excuses for sloppy failed clears and failed exits..nine. . This sloppy play is on Q to fix and he failed to fix it all season..

The pp was terrible...again Q had no answers.

The OK deteriorated after CC went out. .your goalie had to be your best OK player so that explains a lot of the 2nd half deterioration..

Face offs after Toes a huge problem ...especially in our D-zone ...lose control and we have to chase around .

Ability to check away from the puck. ..we are lousy at it ...Close on guys too late...Poor gaps..Weak stick checks...Lose board battles/not strong enough to get pucks off guys ...poor coverages and positioning ..Checking effectively is a huge team problem..It takes enthusiasm ,work,speed and strength to play away from the puck ...lazy disinterested by some,poor speed or poor strength by some ...all combine for bad checking results and easy opps entries to our zone and lengthy possessions when they get to our zone ..all when there are straight rushes in direct line of attack to our net we too often cannot stop the rusher..weak waives at him with our sticks...feeble strength to shove him off the puck ..so totality is just poor ineffective checking..Like 98 pound weaklings trying to defend big talented forwards coming at them ...we just look inept trying to defend .

On offense..the East -West game of crossing try to find open man strategy fails cause teams intercept I the passing lanes ..There bus too little north -south game and few brea-awaysvor 2 ones we create with speed on direct attacks. .The East-West system us a Q design strategy but we love longer have the talent to execute this well...passes need to be crisper and faster ..but we just cannot seem to execute well enough for the system to work as in the past...but Q is Q and we will not change to more North-South ...

The 1 area we might improve on without any change is luck..We had lots of bad luck hitting posts and cross-bars this season. .A game of inches ..if just half of all our hit Biron went in we would have probably more than 50 mire goals..So there is that to hope for..that we get a lot more luck in the game of inches. ..but in general our shooting and finishing had been extra lousy this season.. it just cannot be that poor again next season..so I do expect more goals next season from our guys.But still we will lose games unless team defense improves a lot ..
But under Q and his systems. .I do not see the attention to detail improving enough to seriously improve in the areas we have pointed out need improving. His nature is to run a Country Club not a tight ship ..and so the mess will continue .

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
The 1 area we might improve on without any change is luck..We had lots of bad luck hitting posts and cross-bars this season. .A game of inches ..if just half of all our hit Biron went in we would have probably more than 50 mire goals..

Hawks were 10th in the League in hitting the Crossbar with 11
Hawks were 3rd in the League in hitting the Posts with 55

66 posts or crossbars ... from the NHL.com site

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I don’t care who we draft or sign, getting excited to watch this team with Q still behind the bench is impossible for me.

Thanks for all he’s done, but it’s time to move on.

How can you not be excited about having a 3 time Stanley Cup winning head coach behind the bench?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
How can you not be excited about having a 3 time Stanley Cup winning head coach behind the bench?

PK adjusted and worked?

New coach, team fixed

I asked first, can you answer any of the questions above?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Let's not forget the questionable roster choices. How many times did Q ice the best line-up and best combinations? Not many. And let's not even mention the optional or no practices despite the team playing poorly for long stretches. Plenty of coaching fails to discuss here.

The handling and deployment of DeBrincat is on top of that list.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Okay, it's been a day. I've had a bit of time to cool off and digest everything about this season.

I had several problems with this season, but I'm going to try narrowing this post to just two, coaching and management.

The Athletic has an interesting article that was released in the last day or so about what the Hawks did wrong systematically. It's an interesting read and it points out multiple ways where the Hawks were less than efficient defensively. Reading it points out about of the flaws in Q's system and it's the biggest reason I'm mad about him staying on for next season.

Now if we're lucky, he'll have read the article, and watched how other teams with similar, but much more successful setups (like Tampa) play while he has all this free time until September. But I'm not counting on it. He has a history of stubbornness, and unless he's scared shitless of losing his Benny's endorsement position as head coach, I can't imagine he'll make many changes.

The other issue, like I said, is management. Q failed this season. But he didn't have much to work with, particularly on the back end.

Keith's play dropped once we were on the outside looking in, but he still played like a top pairing defensemen (who just sucks at scoring). Murphy and Rutta had lots of hills and valleys, and basically evened out to being #4s IMO. Seabrook, Gustafsson, and Oesterle are nothing more than a bunch of #6 defensemen.

That's one top 3 defensmen, a couple meh level guys, and a few too many liabilities. That's not anywhere close to being good enough. It's unacceptable for a team that wanted to win to have that type of defensive core.

But I understand why Bowman did it, at least to an extent. We were tight against the cap. We couldn't afford to have guys better that what we had.

But the 18/19 season should be different. That excuse of being tight up against the cap doesn't work anymore. I don't care that we re-signed Gustafsson for a million plus, nor do I care that Oesterle is still here. Neither of those guys should draw into a lineup that already has Seabrook weighing the group down. These guys won't just magically improve to being worth a damn defensively. At most, keep one of Oesterle/Gustafsson as a #7. Waive the other one.

This team needs Forsling to play like he did in November and sustain it for a whole season. It's asking a lot, but he's bound to continue to improve the more experience he gets (provided he can be healthy).

But that's just one guy. Unless the Hawks get Dahlin (fingers crossed), we need at least one other guy who can be not completely terrible out there. There are two guys available in free agency in John Moore and Calvin De Haan. De Haan might be a challenge to get, but Moore is a Chicagoland native, we have a clear advantage in being able to sign him.

This team will continue to suck next year unless Q makes smart adjustments to his system AND Bowman makes damn sure that our defensive core doesn't contain a bunch of liabilities on the back end. And for their sake, I hope they do fix their shit, because otherwise they'll each have a GDT dedicated to them next year. And it'll be savage as f***.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Coaching. Biggest issue this team had this season, other than Crawford being out. Coaching is terrible at this point. No practice. Optional practice. No in-game adjustments. Terrible lineup decisions. Terrible lines. Terrible utilization of players and their strengths. Terrible special teams. Terrible systems overall. Just... in one simple word, the coaching was garbage this season. And I expect much of the same next year unless SB really gets in Q's ear and tells him to adjust the way he does things. This shit isn't working anymore. This team has loads of talent, and can be a scary team if utilized properly.

Knowing that Q is back coaching next season, as is the rest of the coaching staff... I don't expect I'll be watching all that much, just like the back half of this season. It's just a struggle to watch a full game. I honestly saw bits and pieces of every game this season, for the most part, but couldn't finish an entire game since the All Star break, with how poorly they played, and how poorly they were coached. It was disgusting to watch. Almost as hard to watch as when the top line for the Hawks was the ABC line. The sad part is that Kane and Toews are both sub-30, and the team has some very talented young guys. They should not have been as bad as they were.

Something has to change... or we're in for a repeat of this season.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Okay, it's been a day. I've had a bit of time to cool off and digest everything about this season.

I had several problems with this season, but I'm going to try narrowing this post to just two, coaching and management.

The Athletic has an interesting article that was released in the last day or so about what the Hawks did wrong systematically. It's an interesting read and it points out multiple ways where the Hawks were less than efficient defensively. Reading it points out about of the flaws in Q's system and it's the biggest reason I'm mad about him staying on for next season.

Now if we're lucky, he'll have read the article, and watched how other teams with similar, but much more successful setups (like Tampa) play while he has all this free time until September. But I'm not counting on it. He has a history of stubbornness, and unless he's scared ****less of losing his Benny's endorsement position as head coach, I can't imagine he'll make many changes.

The other issue, like I said, is management. Q failed this season. But he didn't have much to work with, particularly on the back end.

Keith's play dropped once we were on the outside looking in, but he still played like a top pairing defensemen (who just sucks at scoring). Murphy and Rutta had lots of hills and valleys, and basically evened out to being #4s IMO. Seabrook, Gustafsson, and Oesterle are nothing more than a bunch of #6 defensemen.

That's one top 3 defensmen, a couple meh level guys, and a few too many liabilities. That's not anywhere close to being good enough. It's unacceptable for a team that wanted to win to have that type of defensive core.

But I understand why Bowman did it, at least to an extent. We were tight against the cap. We couldn't afford to have guys better that what we had.

But the 18/19 season should be different. That excuse of being tight up against the cap doesn't work anymore. I don't care that we re-signed Gustafsson for a million plus, nor do I care that Oesterle is still here. Neither of those guys should draw into a lineup that already has Seabrook weighing the group down. These guys won't just magically improve to being worth a damn defensively. At most, keep one of Oesterle/Gustafsson as a #7. Waive the other one.

This team needs Forsling to play like he did in November and sustain it for a whole season. It's asking a lot, but he's bound to continue to improve the more experience he gets (provided he can be healthy).

But that's just one guy. Unless the Hawks get Dahlin (fingers crossed), we need at least one other guy who can be not completely terrible out there. There are two guys available in free agency in John Moore and Calvin De Haan. De Haan might be a challenge to get, but Moore is a Chicagoland native, we have a clear advantage in being able to sign him.

This team will continue to suck next year unless Q makes smart adjustments to his system AND Bowman makes damn sure that our defensive core doesn't contain a bunch of liabilities on the back end. And for their sake, I hope they do fix their ****, because otherwise they'll each have a GDT dedicated to them next year. And it'll be savage as ****.
I may be wrong but it seems the hawks are in bit of a pickle next year on timing. Their D youth pipeline is full and is on the way with HJ and Mitchell. If somehow they get in the top three this draft it could get worse.

I wonder if their hesitant on spending on D because of this wasting money on resources they don’t need long term. Losing Hossa was huge this year and I feel they might want to get a top six forward. It’s up to Q to develop the D pipeline.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I may be wrong but it seems the hawks are in bit of a pickle next year on timing. Their D youth pipeline is full and is on the way with HJ and Mitchell. If somehow they get in the top three this draft it could get worse.

I wonder if their hesitant on spending on D because of this wasting money on resources they don’t need long term. Losing Hossa was huge this year and I feel they might want to get a top six forward. It’s up to Q to develop the D pipeline.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad