Weird stick situation

melubsdonna

Aug 23, 2005
I normally use a crappy Hespeller two piece thats rougly an 85 flex. I played hockey today and decided to use my friends easton cyclone wtih a tapered blade. The cyclone was about 2 inches shorter and a 95 flex. I couldn't believe how much harder my shot was, and I could actually raise the puck when I took a slap shot, not to mention I was better at recieving and passing the puck. Is this normal?

i'm only 5'8 and 150 pounds and pretty new to ice hockey still, and not overly strong. I really thought I would need a less stiff stick, like 75 or so to improve my shot because I can hardly flex my hespeller stick. What do you think is going on here? I'm puzzled.

Anyways, I bought the cyclone stick off my friend for 40 bucks I liked it so much. He said it was his backup stick and he bought it years ago so he gave it to me cheap. I was happy, ive been looking for a better stick on ebay for awhile now.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Thought a Cyclone was a standard?

My slapshot sucks with my whippy stick, but my wrist shots are a heckuva lot better though. Raising the puck would be more of a curve/technique issue though. Can't comment on the receiving and passing though as I haven't noticed too much and it's also related to the feel of my sticks.

melubsdonna

Aug 23, 2005
the cyclone shaft is standard but the blade is not a regualar blade... it indents on both sides at the top of the blade creating a flex point.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
he's talking about a focus flex or something like a cnt z-carb... It really doesn't matter your size as much as strength and moreso technique. If it works go with it. The extra 2" of length might have changed your technique for the better.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
i have a 2 piece RBK stick (not sure of the flex) but its not very high and my slapshot blows with it (it might even be broken lol), its my backup that i use if im in more of a passing mood because its light and really good for saucer passes. i have a hespeler one piece stick that my slapshot can really fly with, and thats the stick i use most of the time. the stiffer the stick the better the slapshot is what i think works the most.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
My guess is a combination of a different blade curve (lifting the slapshot being easier) and the different length (harder shot).

Try changing your hand position on your normal stick, or just give a shorter stick a try for a while and see if that's it.

melubsdonna

Aug 23, 2005
YOu guys don't think it has anything to do with the flex? I know for sure the shorter stick was easier to shoot with and the stick is about twice as light as well so I know that helped. I still want to buy a new one piece dolomite, but i dont know what flex i'll need... i wish there was a place to try out hockey sticks lol.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
Keep in mind that the dolomite is not a "true" one piece, unlike the Mac Daddy. Most people seem to prefer the Mac Daddy despite its bright yellow paint job. Personally I've never tried it.

I did flex a 75 flex dolomite grip shaft in a store one and man that thing felt whippy. The grip was nice too, I almost took it over my Synergy ST. In fact, I still kind of want it. Must resist, but the whippy nature, badass paint job, and slick grip were just nice :P

I'm about your size. 85 Flex is still tough, even with my Synergy ST. Just gonna start hitting the gym more soon to put on some. Maybe about 5'9 and a little lighter right now.

I kept away from the warrior when it came down to a good deal i got on the synergy and that at the time i went "eh, warrior is a lacrosse company!" But damn have their sticks come a long way in a short time.

The 2 piece Dolomite comes in a 75, I don't think the one-piece does. You might want to look into that, otherwise just take an 85 and work out some :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->