Weird game in Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
So what happened last night in Anaheim. The Ducks and my Canucks tie in shots, yet the score is 7-1 quackers?

Also, the following struck me as odd:

Attendance: 7674
Net Profit: $506,484.00

Now, I know I'm not exactly the best draw in the league, but there are some OHL teams that average more than that in attendance. It's not like this was a Raptors/Hawks game or something, at least one of the teams was good.

Strange days...

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
That said, attendance does seem to be down around the league... we'll know better after a couple of weeks whether there's substance to the trend. I know my Jackets may have to consider dorpping ticket prices a bit (currently $38). Or maybe just winning a few games for a change... :help:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Attendance

I've been informally monitoring attendance for all the games and they are low. At this rate, even with the cap, we'll have trouble with staying cash flow positive. Even after my team was undefeated after two games and I dropped my ticket prices, the crowd was small.

Not all teams have 3-5 80 plus players on their rosters to help with attendance and certainly most .500 teams or teams still in the playoff race in the NHL pre and post lockout will draw over 14,000 fans.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I dropped the ticket price today. ;)

Last season, I fared quite well and tickets were priced fairly high for most of the year. Figured I'd play one game with the tickets at $55, just to see what would happen. Certainly, after losing a highly rated player like Al MacInnis, I expected a drop in attendance. But 7,674??? :eek:

In general, I have noticed the same trend that Dr. Jones has. Maybe fans are reacting to the lockout?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
hmmmm... well let's see tonight if the Flames attendence is up. I raised ticket prices to 40 (I mean, to go to a real Flames game the average is nearly 70) and attendence dropped from a 2003/4 average of 18 thou to 10. At that rate, I am down 150K per game from last season. If the attendence is down I will be lowering prices back down. Does anyone know how the sim calculates attendence etc?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Commish said:
I have noticed the same trend that Dr. Jones has.

My professional name... *tips the Commish* ;)

We don't know the precise equation, but factors include the records (including streaks) of the teams competing, and the number of star-power draws (players rated 80+). I have 3 80+ players on my team in Modano, Roenick and Brodeur (plus a couple of 79-rated players...*grumble grumble*), while my opponent, Edmonton, had 1 (Nabokov). Our records, however, were not that impressive, as both teams were .500 heading into the game (W-L for EDM, OTL for me). Anecdotally, winning streaks in the past have seemed to make a surprisingly large difference...

HFNHL Red Wings

Well I hope it's only the ticket prices b/c the revenue setting was turned up a notch.
Douglas is right though streaks and overall winning percentage have traditionally played a big roll in attendance figures and so we'll have a better feel for how the numbers are going to play out by game 10 or so.

It should be noted that in the past we were using version 1.0 of the sim and now are on 1.3 so only time will tell if the financial model behaves any differently for this version.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Well I hope it's only the ticket prices b/c the revenue setting was turned up a notch.
Douglas is right though streaks and overall winning percentage have traditionally played a big roll in attendance figures and so we'll have a better feel for how the numbers are going to play out by game 10 or so.

It should be noted that in the past we were using version 1.0 of the sim and now are on 1.3 so only time will tell if the financial model behaves any differently for this version.

Drew, The revenue setting is same as last season as we are still getting 20% of the ticket price for concession. :dunno:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Hmm.. so I lowered ticket prices by 5 dollars per game... and what did that do? Only make 2000 fewer people show up to the game. Of course, the 1-5 record may have something to do with that.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Claudio Mannarino said:
I've been informally monitoring attendance for all the games and they are low. At this rate, even with the cap, we'll have trouble with staying cash flow positive. Even after my team was undefeated after two games and I dropped my ticket prices, the crowd was small.

Not all teams have 3-5 80 plus players on their rosters to help with attendance and certainly most .500 teams or teams still in the playoff race in the NHL pre and post lockout will draw over 14,000 fans.

Sorry Claudio, but most teams are making money (19 of them). And most of the teams losing money are only losing a little bit. When you factor in endorsements, playoff revenue and the cap in general, cash is only going to be a problem for a couple of teams, and probably fewer than in past seasons.

A lot of teams have low attendance because their ticket prices are high, but the average revenue is still high enough. There are only a couple of teams with cash flow issues, and in fact, many of the teams who in past have watched their cash flow drop, have turned it around this year.

The maddening thing is figuring out the attendance formula.

I can tell you it isn't as simple as record, winning streak and 80+ players for your team and the opponent. The Blues sold-out their home opener against Edmonton, but then sold well below capacity a few games later when the team was 4-0 and playing Anaheim, who had more 80+ players than Edmonton. There has to be some kind of random factor involved, although the above three factors may be the most important.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This is becoming more interesting. I can remember a discussion at the end of last season saying that all the ticket prices were too low. Now they are too high. Damn it, maybe i should have opted to go with a $10 increase not a $25 one. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->