Pre-Game Talk: Week to Start Fresh (@NYR, @NJ, @BOS)

How many points will the Avs earn on this trip?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'll never understand why HFBoards is always so concerned with your last 20 games, as if that's all that matters when evaluating a hockey player. It's as if his 51 point season is ancient history.

He was relegated to the 4th line last year by an idiot coach who thought Comeau and Bourque were better top 9 options. He didn't take a career threatening injury, he didn't forget how to play hockey, he just has been misused. I guaran-damn-tee he would go back to similar production levels if given a chance, and since that isn't happening here thanks to our depth, some team out there could have him do that for them instead.
Dude he's a 31 year old who just had a horrible season while making 4.5M for the next 3. I understand the frustration with people's what have you done lately mentality. But this situation is a prime example where what happened last year with Soderberg is quite possibly the norm for him. You've said several times that you can't believe the Habs won't take a chance on him but for some reason you can't see that the risk involved is monumental.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the risk involved is monumental. Three seasons of work with 44+ points playing top-9 minutes and getting PP time vs a 14 point season where he was relegated to the 4th line and no PP time.

If Nathan MacKinnon was put on the 4th line and not given PP time he probably wouldn't crack 20 points in a season.

Soderberg isn't a world beater but there are plenty of teams who could make much better use of him than the Avs could.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dude he's a 31 year old who just had a horrible season while making 4.5M for the next 3. I understand the frustration with people's what have you done lately mentality. But this situation is a prime example where what happened last year with Soderberg is quite possibly the norm for him. You've said several times that you can't believe the Habs won't take a chance on him but for some reason you can't see that the risk involved is monumental.
The risk would come if his season point totals went:

Then you could look at him and say that 51 point season was an anomaly, and that would be a huge risk to take on a guy who maybe just had one career season. But his actual point totals are:

Now when you look at those numbers, you can clearly identify which season looks like an outlier and isn't representative of what can be expected from him.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah Landy is still there. Compher was like 11-5 with Jost yesterday and 4-12 with Wilson in terms of shot attempt differential.

Soderberg being in and able to play center allows for them to make this move.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The risk would come if his season point totals went:

Then you could look at him and say that 51 point season was an anomaly, and that would be a huge risk to take on a guy who maybe just had one career season. But his actual point totals are:

Now when you look at those numbers, you can clearly identify which season looks like an outlier and isn't representative of what can be expected from him.
WTH are you trying to do? Are you seriously questioning why other teams don't want Soda with 3 more years at 5M per?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
WTH are you trying to do? Are you seriously questioning why other teams don't want Soda with 3 more years at 5M per?
4.5m for a 45-50 point 2C isn't an outrageous salary. Center is an important position, and yes, there are absolutely teams out there who could use one of those in their top six.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I actually can't believe that Bednar thought a Landeskog-Compher-Wilson line would work tbh, that had ineffective written all over it. Glad Jost and Compher are together, Greer on that line with Landeskog bumped up in the line-up at some point might be nice too if Andrighetto can't get going with the Mac line. Wilson-Soderberg together on the 4th are probably a better combo too now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I actually can't believe that Bednar thought a Landeskog-Compher-Wilson line would work tbh, that had ineffective written all over it. Glad Jost and Compher are together, Greer on that line with Landeskog bumped up in the line-up at some point might be nice too if Andrighetto can't get going with the Mac line. Wilson-Soderberg together on the 4th are probably a better combo too now.

I'm actually surprised Bednar hasn't demoted Ghetto yet. There is something to be said for giving him some rope before demoting him.

I don't think Greer is healthy yet, but once he is it will be interesting to see if they give him NHL time or if they send him straight to the AHL.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is just my hunch, but with Bigras playing well, I think the 6 defenseman they dressed yesterday are the 6 they would prefer to play. Bigras just kind of takes over the role that Barberio would have had.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is just my hunch, but with Bigras playing well, I think the 6 defenseman they dressed yesterday are the 6 they would prefer to play. Bigras just kind of takes over the role that Barberio would have had.

It looks like Nemeth is taking the role Barberio would have had, and Bigras is taking the role Z would have had.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for the update, TMV.
If you're talking about the first pairing LHD role then I agree.
I would like to see Bigras with EJ as well. EJ needs someone beside him who he can rely on making good break out passes. That is not Zadorov.

If Zadorov wants to handle the puck more, he needs to be on the 3rd pairing. If he wants to be a stay-at-home defenceman, he should be with Barrie.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm actually surprised Bednar hasn't demoted Ghetto yet. There is something to be said for giving him some rope before demoting him.

I don't think Greer is healthy yet, but once he is it will be interesting to see if they give him NHL time or if they send him straight to the AHL.
They won't keep him, they already filled the spot with Lindholm and they will want to get him playing, assuming he'll be used down there.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They won't keep him, they already filled the spot with Lindholm and they will want to get him playing, assuming he'll be used down there.

I agree, people keep bringing him up though in terms of taking this and that players spot on the LW. Then at the same time you talk a lot about how the AHL isn't always the right answer either. So it does not feel like there is a simple and obvious solution to where he should play when hes healthy, and I understand people wanting to see him play in the NHL over other guys.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for the update, TMV.

I would like to see Bigras with EJ as well. EJ needs someone beside him who he can rely on making good break out passes. That is not Zadorov.

If Zadorov wants to handle the puck more, he needs to be on the 3rd pairing. If he wants to be a stay-at-home defenceman, he should be with Barrie.

There has been stretches where Zadorov and EJ have been very good together. Last year early was one of them, and they were more good than bad in pre-season.

The problem is neither of Bigras or Zadorov are going to be consistent playing in a top four role for long stretches. Moving them both up and down the lineup based on how they are playing is fine, benching either of them shouldn't be an option right now. They are both at the point where I think they need to be played through their mistakes.

There is going to be plenty of nights where one or the other probably looks better next to EJ.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm glad they're making the Jost move now. I figured we would've had to put up with Wilson for a bit longer before they did it. That's not a shot at Wilson either, I just think the team will be better with Jost on a scoring line.

Also, I was just randomly looking at the roster on the website and I see they longer have an A next to Duchene's name so I guess there's no splitting this season. I could've sworn it was there just a day or two ago.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Good catch. It was there. Hopefully it means something and we won't we won't see Duchene with it for the home opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->