NCAA GDT: Week 14: Championship Weekend

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Rutgers really hasn’t had good class since Schiano left.

2018 - 43rd (still going on)
2017 - 42nd
2016 - 64th
2015 - 56th
2014 - 56th
2013 - 48th
2012 - 23rd

That’s their national rankings acccording to 247’s composite class rankings. Schiano left late in that 2012 & Flood who was on staff got promoted to HC & closed out the class well. But it quickly went downhill & they’ve struggled since. I don’t really see it stopping any time soon as Ash inherited a full on rebuild with Flood leaving him really nothing so it’s going to be hard to build momentum on the trail. They showed some improvement this year but they still got smacked around badly by the teams at the top of the division.

Not talking nationally. The last 2 (this one and last) are likely to both be middle of the pack in the big ten. Which is better then the bottom

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Hard to believe that's only Meyer's 2nd B1G title.

Won't be upset if they don't get in. Like I said before, they got crushed by Iowa and that puts a massive cloud over their heads. Offense will be look better with Haskins behind center next year.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not talking nationally. The last 2 (this one and last) are likely to both be middle of the pack in the big ten. Which is better then the bottom

Oh alright but still those kids were only first & second year players this year. They’re not getting those early impact type of guys so it’s going to take time. It doesn’t help that some of these kids aren’t getting redshirted as freshmen despite needing it because the roster sucked so bad when Ash got there.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
yeah but they play in a division with pretty much 4 automatic losses to start. if they held on to their verbals theyd have talent. barkley and blacknall were originally rutgers commits.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Other than Rutgers, Penn State and Maryland, Ohio State is furthest East. How could they technically claim they fit out West?

Really the only thing I can think of is moving Michigan and Michigan State to the West, Illinois to the East and Purdue to the East.

Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska

Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Yeah, the Big Ten west is a lot worse than the Big Ten east.

While we’re focusing on location, Missouri is further west than Alabama and Auburn, yet Missouri is in the SEC east. I know that it was more convenient to just put Mizzou and A&M in different divisions, but still...

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
maybe frost makes nebraska a 9-10 win team again and the divisions balance a bit. when i was a kid the SEC west sucked and then it became the best division in football. the sec east had national title contenders and then went 7-8 years of being garbage.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That's the problem with G5 teams. Boise, Utah, TCU and Houston of a few years ago had some animals on defense. UCF is so undersized they'd get run over.

You clearly no nothing about UCF. They have 300 pounders starting on both sides of the ball. Our run defense is not the problem and we can run it well too. We are horribly coached on defense as we don't know when we are playing man or zone. When we play man we cover receivers with linebackers and when we play zone we don't know which guy to pick up. We would do best against Georgia of the top 3 as we match up best with them.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You clearly no nothing about UCF. They have 300 pounders starting on both sides of the ball. Our run defense is not the problem and we can run it well too. We are horribly coached on defense as we don't know when we are playing man or zone. When we play man we cover receivers with linebackers and when we play zone we don't know which guy to pick up. We would do best against Georgia of the top 3 as we match up best with them.

:laugh:

Reactions: Cody Webster

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No you wouldn't. Even if UCF wanted to spread it out, Georgia has the LB's to play in coverage. Christ, they were experimenting with Lorenzo Carter at the STAR position at different points during the season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No you wouldn't. Even if UCF wanted to spread it out, Georgia has the LB's to play in coverage. Christ, they were experimenting with Lorenzo Carter at the STAR position at different points during the season.

Offensively I would want to face Oklahoma as they have the weakest defense. Defensively I would want to go against Fromm of all the QB's. Last time we played Georgia and a stud freshman QB we beat them.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Offensively I would want to face Oklahoma as they have the weakest defense. Defensively I would want to go against Fromm of all the QB's. Last time we played Georgia and a stud freshman QB we beat them.
A 2010 Liberty Bowl reference. Nice.

In 2017-2018, UCF would get run ragged any of the CFP teams. If Auburn couldn't stop Fromm or the offense in the championship game, then I highly doubt UCF would be able to.

Reactions: Cody Webster

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
A 2010 Liberty Bowl reference. Nice.

In 2017-2018, UCF would get run ragged any of the CFP teams. If Auburn couldn't stop Fromm or the offense in the championship game, then I highly doubt UCF would be able to.

What would it matter if we did? Washington was run ragged, Ohio State was run ragged. Michigan State was run ragged. They could've at least given them a chance instead of replaying the same thing 3 years in a row.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Ahhh. Still at it I see. Simply sensational homerism. A+ for effort

Can wait to watch a Frostless UFC get clown pounded on a national stage.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
maybe frost makes nebraska a 9-10 win team again and the divisions balance a bit. when i was a kid the SEC west sucked and then it became the best division in football. the sec east had national title contenders and then went 7-8 years of being garbage.

I was in high school when the Big 10 was at the top. If not, at least pretty strong throughout with even teams such as Minnesota and Purdue causing problems. Even Illinois could at least be thought of as respectable. Seems like forever ago now.

The biggest cure for the Western division in the Big 10 would be a competent Nebraska program. It's like they have completely fallen off the deep end.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was in high school when the Big 10 was at the top. If not, at least pretty strong throughout with even teams such as Minnesota and Purdue causing problems. Even Illinois could at least be thought of as respectable. Seems like forever ago now.

The biggest cure for the Western division in the Big 10 would be a competent Nebraska program. It's like they have completely fallen off the deep end.

The biggest single thing, probably, but every one of those other (traditional Big 10) programs -- Iowa, Purdue, Illinois in particular -- is a tier below where it was 20 years ago. I don't know if they'll all ever get back. I guess NW is a tier above where it was then.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Pac12 needs to fire commissioner Larry Scott. Horrible TV deal (P12N not on DirectTV, every team earning $20 million less than B1G teams) horrible scheduling, both the 9-game conference schedule, and agreeing to Thursday, Friday and Saturday night games, and was quoted in the LA Times saying that if the Pac12 continues missing out on the playoff over the next 10-12 years, then they might look at changing things. For now, parity > playoffs.

Every Pac12 football coach should be grabbing torches and pitchforks and heading for his front door. Sadly all the Pac 12 presidents love him as he was given a 3 year extension in March.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Pac12 needs to fire commissioner Larry Scott. Horrible TV deal (P12N not on DirectTV, every team earning $20 million less than B1G teams) horrible scheduling, both the 9-game conference schedule, and agreeing to Thursday, Friday and Saturday night games, and was quoted in the LA Times saying that if the Pac12 continues missing out on the playoff over the next 10-12 years, then they might look at changing things. For now, parity > playoffs.

Every Pac12 football coach should be grabbing torches and pitchforks and heading for his front door. Sadly all the Pac 12 presidents love him as he was given a 3 year extension in March.

Until the commitee changes I don’t see a problem with that one. Besides only USC and ucla now would really complain about that one. Maybe Washington and Oregon

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Until the commitee changes I don’t see a problem with that one. Besides only USC and ucla now would really complain about that one. Maybe Washington and Oregon

Sorry, what are you referring to with "that one"? The playoff or the TV deal? You mentioned the committee and the LA makret and I haven't finished my coffee and now I'm confused. :laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry, what are you referring to with "that one"? The playoff or the TV deal? You mentioned the committee and the LA makret and I haven't finished my coffee and now I'm confused. :laugh:

Playoffs. At this point I would just want to win the conference before talking about playoffs. Unless your in the sec

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Playoffs. At this point I would just want to win the conference before talking about playoffs. Unless your in the sec

Gotcha. And I agree. Win your conference and go from there. I think where some PAC12 fans are getting pissed off is that Larry Scott basically said he doesn't care about missing the playoff and values parity more. But the committee doesn't care about parity. And with the way the PAC 12 schedules its games, it all but eliminated itself from the playoffs two weeks before Thanksgiving. Pac-12 football needs repair: A radical suggestion for fixing it

FWIW, I think the committee got the playoff right, though I'd still like to see an 8 team playoff with all P5 champions, the top G5 team and 2 wild cards.

Last edited:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I wouldn't mind 8 teams, but I'm fine with 4. We'd still be arguing over the 2 at larges the same way we argue of the 4th team that gets in now. And sometimes some of the at larges left out will probably be better than conference winners.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Gotcha. And I agree. Win your conference and go from there. I think where some PAC12 fans are getting pissed off is that Larry Scott basically said he doesn't care about missing the playoff and values parity more. But the committee doesn't care about parity. And with the way the PAC 12 schedules its games, it all but eliminated itself from the playoffs two weeks before Thanksgiving. Pac-12 football needs repair: A radical suggestion for fixing it

FWIW, I think the committee got the playoff right, though I'd still like to see an 8 team playoff with all P5 champions, the top G5 team and 2 wild cards.

The nine game conference schedule also hurts. I think the Big Ten is the only other power conference that has nine conference games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->