Wednesday meeting over...Sides to meet Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
I hope you all realize that they're just getting our hopes up so they can dash them when no more progress is made and the season is canned.

Yet I still can't help but get my hopes up :cry:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Son of Steinbrenner said:
this is from sportsnet

The consensus reached on an NHLPA conference call may suggest the lockout battle is far from over. A source told Sportsnet the players are as resolute as ever on avoiding a salary cap.

"There's no change in our position," the source explained to Sportsnet.

Interestingly enough, another source within the NHL said the league's stance on cost certainty remains unchanged as well.

now before everybody kills the players for being resolute as ever on avoiding a salary cap remember the owners aren't moving either.

honestly who knows what the guys talked about at o'hare today. its possible they played arrival poker ala kramer on seinfeld.

I don't think that sounds too bad though honestly. Why would the PA want to say "hey, we've changed our mind, they're right!", when it would be better to come out with a well worded message, explaining how the position did not change, it just shifted...or something to that effect, same goes for the owners.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
GregStack said:
I don't think that sounds too bad though honestly. Why would the PA want to say "hey, we've changed our mind, they're right!", when it would be better to come out with a well worded message, explaining how the position did not change, it just shifted...or something to that effect, same goes for the owners.
exactly.

Keep in mind both the NHL and NHLPA are organizations that are thrown to public scrutiny in all this. Imagine if the NHLPA said that they were all wrong: This would hurt their public image and then ultimately the players' image. Same with the owners if they had caved in a paradox of the inevitable. Its all about making sure this thing is broken in good spirits for all. No smears for each side is best for everyone.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
GregStack said:

Exactly, what are they supposed to say, that they've thought about it and finally a cap isin't so bad afterall? I don't care what comes out of the players mouths right now, you will accept a cap, cost-certainty, whatever you want to call it, if that's not the case, then why the hell are you meeting tomorrow, to reafirm your position? :lol

Let's get this show on the road already!

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
GregStack said:

Something along the lines of "We really don't philosphically agree with a hard cap, but, for the sake of the fans, we accepted a cap. As players, we just want to play hockey and this was the only way we could see to have a season.."

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
GregStack said:
I think the problem is calling it "folding". That's why this entire process is taking so long, because of egos, and the inability to compromise, on very compromisable issues. (sorry if that's not a word...)

Even here, it seems like we are waiting for the day when the PRO-PA, or PRO-NHL people "fold" when it's simply ridiculous. Sometimes the best deal is the best deal, and you simply have to take it. I don't think anyone expected the players to "win" this battle outright. However, if the players get a lower UFA age, or keep guaranteed contracts, then they "win" in a way. We all know that some form of a cap is coming, be it a clear hard cap, an incredibly large luxury tax, or some hybrid type situation.
who was it that said that the sign of a good compromise is when both sides are dissatisfied?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
All this stuff is positioning.....the NHLPA won't accept a cap per-say...but what has been said is that a cap - type system and they just wont call it that.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
this is from sportsnet

The consensus reached on an NHLPA conference call may suggest the lockout battle is far from over. A source told Sportsnet the players are as resolute as ever on avoiding a salary cap.

Interestingly enough, another source within the NHL said the league's stance on cost certainty remains unchanged as well.

now before everybody kills the players for being resolute as ever on avoiding a salary cap remember the owners aren't moving either.

honestly who knows what the guys talked about at o'hare today. its possible they played arrival poker ala kramer on seinfeld.

this is just rhetoric. they're meeting agin tomorrow.

Crows*

OF course the Source is gonna say that.

Jeez I mean, 2 days before the PA produced their thought our proposal which took them weeks even months to create, they said they weren'tmaking a proposal.

The same things happend in 94.

Less chatter in the media is better folks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
this is from sportsnet

Everyone is going to keep saying what they've been saying until this is all over.

ChowsBaby21

Jul 2, 2002
Never never land
Visit site
Cropduster said:
that didnt sound good
:banghead:

That was my first thought as well, but if neither side is willing to budge then why fly to Chicago for today's meeting and Toronto for tomorrow's, it sure isn't to get a few extra frequent flyer miles. There has to be some sort of good to come out of it.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Anybody else hear that Ted Saskin's mother died today and it is not determined if he will be there tomorrow or not, or is that just unsubstantiated rumor?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Chicago on Wednesday...Toronto on Thursday...New York on Friday?...when will the original magical mystery tour end...Boston on Saturday...Detroit on Sunday...Montreal on Monday

Will they hold the meeting tomorrow in Toronto in some back office of some strip joint after holding the meeting today in Chicago at the O'Hare lounge?

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
handtrick said:
Anybody else hear that Ted Saskin's mother died today and it is not determined if he will be there tomorrow or not, or is that just unsubstantiated rumor?

J.R. McCaig, Flames part owner died-Hotchkiss will be at his funeral instead of in Toronto tommorow

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Cropduster said:
J.R. McCaig, Flames part owner died-Hotchkiss will be at his funeral instead of in Toronto tommorow

I had heard about McCaig and Hotchkiss, but Saskin's mom was something new :dunno: .....still unsubstantiated I see...

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
Boy, that must show you how committed they are to getting a deal. The guy's mother passes away and he's still bargaining a deal.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Briannj1970 said:
Boy, that must show you how committed they are to getting a deal. The guy's mother passes away and he's still bargaining a deal.
good point.

this makes me think a deal is almost done.

Wetcoaster

handtrick said:

Hotchkiss is at a funeral tommorow in Calgary for his partner and co-owner of the Flames. He will not be present.

Sportsnet reports that Saskin's mother died and that he may not be at the meeting. Apparently one of the reasons to move it to Toronto for the talks is that Saskin lives there.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=FOBNMPFFHFJO?content=20050119_015720_1312

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
djhn579 said:
Something along the lines of "We really don't philosphically agree with a hard cap, but, for the sake of the fans, we accepted a cap. As players, we just want to play hockey and this was the only way we could see to have a season.."

Trevor? Is that you?

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Don't buy the conference call. The PA will not come out and say that everything they've been fighting for in these negotiations has been a complete waste, and that the owners were right all along.

The key in this is that the players have said they will not accept a salary cap, but I'm sure the deal will include a salary cap, just called something else. You know why I have a lot of optomism about this, is because both sides seemed strangely quiet after the meetings. Usually both sides come out blasting each other and say..."The NHL is unwilling to compromise..." or "The Players Association is not willing to address the dire financial problems that are ailing this game." Instead, after this meeting, anything and everything about a possible deal, or what was talked about, or what will be talked about tommorow seems as though it must be kept in secrecy.

Now, why is that? Thats tells me, that one side has budged a little, and in an attempt to save face, they want to keep that side from being embarrassed. Just the fact that they didn't come out angry at each other, and refusing to negotiate again is reason for optomism.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Does anyone know if Bettman or Goodenow will be at this meeting? Or will it be basically the same group, minus Hotchkiss and possibly Saskin? If Bettman and Goodenow aren't invited to this meeting, that says something about how much progress can be made without those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad