Wednesday, 5/25 meeting updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Both meetings today and tomorrow are in Chicago, I believe. So it's only 10:45 there...what kind of updates do expect to get at this hour? They've probably only just started the meetings.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tuggy said:
Both meetings today and tomorrow are in Chicago, I believe. So it's only 10:45 there...what kind of updates do expect to get at this hour? They've probably only just started the meetings.

Yes, this is true, but it wasn't even mentioned on the update. And this from a Toronto radio station...

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
maybe a deal will eventually materialize under the cover of night when we least expect it, however, I'm going to guess even the most fervent hockey supporting media outlets aren't going to really pay attention to a meeting in Chicago without BGGB in attendance, in which it is basically announced ahead of time that they are just going to look at team financials in small groups for the umpteenth time.

There is a bigger chance of Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow making out today in Times Square than there is of anything newsworthy emerging from this meeting.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
vopatsrash said:
maybe a deal will eventually materialize under the cover of night when we least expect it, however, I'm going to guess even the most fervent hockey supporting media outlets aren't going to really pay attention to a meeting in Chicago without BGGB in attendance, in which it is basically announced ahead of time that they are just going to look at team financials in small groups for the umpteenth time.

There is a bigger chance of Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow making out today in Times Square than there is of anything newsworthy emerging from this meeting.

Damn it . . . there goes lunch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
Fan 590 sports update didn't even mention it.

I guess this time they really are in hiding.....?
This is not a CBA negotiating meeting ..

From Sportsnet

As it stands now, neither Bob Goodenow nor Gary Bettman will be part of this weeks group dynamic with the focus believed to still be on accounting and financial related items.

The lawyers and principals from each side represent the makeup of the next meeting, and while the league remains confident a deal will be reached relatively soon, the union is more careful in how it distributes its optimism with PA sources suggesting a number of areas of disagreement have yet to be resolved.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050523_153204_4864

WC Handy*

It seems to me that when Bettman and Goodenow aren't there they're mostly focusing on the books and when they are, they're actually doing some negotiating. That's pretty much what happened last week and it seems to be continuing this week.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
WC Handy said:
It seems to me that when Bettman and Goodenow aren't there they're mostly focusing on the books and when they are, they're actually doing some negotiating. That's pretty much what happened last week and it seems to be continuing this week.

I remember in Feb Bettman and Goodenow werent there and positive signs came out of meetings..then when they came back it went back downhill. They finished going over the books last week anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Anybody hear anything on the radio?
They seem to be spending a lot of time on the accounting numbers, one can only assume they have found some serious problems and are attempting to correct the Levitt report before moving forward with negotiations :D

Because who has ever heard of problems existing with audited finaincial numbers berfore ?? Two full days last week and two more set aside this week as well, can only mean the errors are larger then the NHLPA ever imagined..

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
All a part of the master plan to force impasse, go to the courts, and get a close version of the Dec 9 proposal implemented, right Messenger?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crazy_Ike said:
All a part of the master plan to force impasse, go to the courts, and get a close version of the Dec 9 proposal implemented, right Messenger?
First the NHLPA is trying to avoid IMPASSE not force it .. Filing for union recognition in BC and Quebec is a perfect example to prove that ..

Since there is no precedence EVER (that I know of anyway) that any NLRB court can or would install a NHLPA proposal not sure what you are getting at there, with the most common outcome being a ruling that states "Get back to the drawing board both of you and negotiate and sin no more "

The best a hard fought NHLPA court battle could accomplish is the OWNERS IMPASSE CBA removed and the old CBA re-inserted, much like happened in Baseball, with a "Bad Faith" claim found.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
especially seeing as....

they are covering 30 businesss books for perhaps a few years....

and explaining it to non- accountants.

They should be up to speed in 15 minutes max! What could be taking them 4 days? There must be irregularities!!

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Crazy_Ike said:

Explain exactly how the PA could declare an impasse, or why they'd want to force the NHL into one. If impasse is truly reached, it benefits management, not labor.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
Explain exactly how the PA could declare an impasse, or why they'd want to force the NHL into one. If impasse is truly reached, it benefits management, not labor.

Just a sarcastic reminder of Messenger's previous posts where he goes on at length about the brilliance of the NHLPA at moving towards its endgame of getting the old CBA or a variant thereof back through the courts, making back millions and billions of dollars from the evil NHL owners who have been out to steal their rightful multimillion dollar salaries from the very beginning of TIME!

:biglaugh:

Btw, even though it was a joke post, I meant force the owners to declare impasse, not declare impasse themselves.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crazy_Ike said:
Just a sarcastic reminder of Messenger's previous posts where he goes on at length about the brilliance of the NHLPA at moving towards its endgame of getting the old CBA or a variant thereof back through the courts, making back millions and billions of dollars from the evil NHL owners who have been out to steal their rightful multimillion dollar salaries from the very beginning of TIME!.

They don't call you Crazy_Ike for nothing .. :)

I admire your determination to uphold the accuracy of your HF handle..

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Crazy_Ike said:
Just a sarcastic reminder of Messenger's previous posts where he goes on at length about the brilliance of the NHLPA at moving towards its endgame of getting the old CBA or a variant thereof back through the courts, making back millions and billions of dollars from the evil NHL owners who have been out to steal their rightful multimillion dollar salaries from the very beginning of TIME!

:biglaugh:

Btw, even though it was a joke post, I meant force the owners to declare impasse, not declare impasse themselves.
I thought he just wanted to see Crosby in a Leafs uniform...
too bad he said "no" already...he's a Canadiens fan...I guess not everybody wants to be in the Center of the Universe!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AXN said:
6.5 hours meeting today. Is it going well or not?

I think no news is good news. I think they're pulling this "we examined team finances" is a load of crap.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
hockeytown9321 said:
This is normally the case, but sometimes a union will declare an impasse. This is usually done when an impasse leads to mediation of the dispute. It's too bad that the NHL and NHLPA had such an agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad