Websites for defenceman

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Hi Leaf Lander. Sinse you are a hockey history guru I was wondering if you could do me a favor and present some internet sites that will help me complete my NHL defensemen database. I have used hockeydb.com, legendsofhockey.net, couchpotatohockey.com, hockeydraftcentral.com and nhl.com and some others to help me, but there must be other sites out there that offer more than what those sites do. I need to find more obscure facts and records and more in depth statistical records etc. It would also be nice to find a site that will list all players that have recieved a cup ring year by year and year by year playoff scoring. I've also yet to find a place that can give me a complete list of alltime scoring by defensemen (yes i'm a poor internet surfer). I've had to do alot of jumping around to put things together in my database, so I want some sites that can give me a wealth of information.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

anyone got an asnwer

Im too tired lol cut down a huge apple tree today and also cut down an entire ehedge with a hand saw:D

All I could say is check the links out in the bio thread.(Which is unfinsihed It is summer and I am busy with work and enjoying the mild temps
I dont know of any site that is for just defenceman but you will learn alot

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It depends on what exactly you're looking for.

- If you're looking for anecdotes and descriptions of how they played, your best bet is to read hockey history books by a variety of authors. Some of the better ones are "Who's Who In Hockey" by Stan Fischler, "Total NHL" by Dan Diamond and "The Hockey Compendium" by Jeff Z Klein and Karl-Eric Reif. I know I'm missing some good ones on that list. The HHOF website is also a great resource, though I find they rarely discuss the players' weaknesses.
An invaluable resource is eyewitnesses: if you're really lucky, you can talk to older relatives who have been watching for 50+ years. Nothing tops that.

One of my favorite websites is Daryl Shilling's "The Hockey Project" (http://members.shaw.ca/hbtn/index.htm). There's a lot of anecdotes, stats and rating system, you will definitely learn from it. Another good site is Iain Fyffe's "Puckerings" (http://www.puckerings.com/research.html). His article about Player Comparisons is pretty good for letting you see which current NHLers some old-time players compare to.

- I'd also like to find a database with NHL playoff stats. I haven't found any that can be imported into Excel or Access easily.

- If you want any defensemen stats in Excel, let me know. I have basic offensive stats (GP, G, A, Pts- regular and adjusted), plus/minus and estimated ice time for 1968-present. My database isn't complete because there are several years (mostly in the 40's) where I'm missing what position a player is (ie L/C/R/D). It's a pain to look it up from other sources and put it in manually. Still, I've found it to be a pretty good resource.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver

- If you're looking for anecdotes and descriptions of how they played, your best bet is to read hockey history books by a variety of authors. Some of the better ones are "Who's Who In Hockey" by Stan Fischler, "Total NHL" by Dan Diamond and "The Hockey Compendium" by Jeff Z Klein and Karl-Eric Reif. I know I'm missing some good ones on that list. The HHOF website is also a great resource, though I find they rarely discuss the players' weaknesses.
An invaluable resource is eyewitnesses: if you're really lucky, you can talk to older relatives who have been watching for 50+ years. Nothing tops that.

One of my favorite websites is Daryl Shilling's "The Hockey Project" (http://members.shaw.ca/hbtn/index.htm). There's a lot of anecdotes, stats and rating system, you will definitely learn from it. Another good site is Iain Fyffe's "Puckerings" (http://www.puckerings.com/research.html). His article about Player Comparisons is pretty good for letting you see which current NHLers some old-time players compare to.

- I'd also like to find a database with NHL playoff stats. I haven't found any that can be imported into Excel or Access easily.

- If you want any defensemen stats in Excel, let me know. I have basic offensive stats (GP, G, A, Pts- regular and adjusted), plus/minus and estimated ice time for 1968-present. My database isn't complete because there are several years (mostly in the 40's) where I'm missing what position a player is (ie L/C/R/D). It's a pain to look it up from other sources and put it in manually. Still, I've found it to be a pretty good resource.

Thanks alot! Youre a great help.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005

Some other good resource books I`d like to add to that list:

- Players; the Ultimate A-Z Guide by Andrew Podnieks: Gives a short bio on every player who ever played in the NHL, talking about their career, what type of player they were and what they did after they retired. Was $60 when it came out a couple of years ago, but I`ve seen it at half that price at some bookstores since then. Definitely worth buying.

- Ultimate Hockey by G. Weir, J. Chapman and T. Weir: This came out about 5 or 6 years ago and may be harder to find, but is well worth tracking down. They go through each decade in hockey history and run down the best players in various categories, they list season by season who likely would`ve won awards like the Selke or Norris before those awards were invented, and they have bios of the top players in each decade, usually including a modern player who their style would be comparable to. Basically it`s a Bill James-style book without the stats.

- Kings Of The Ice: A History Of World Hockey: Features bios of most star players in hockey history, very good for information on European players.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS

I couldn't agree more. I've read quite a bit of literature on hockey history and I love it. But convorsations with my grandfather who played goal for Mcgill in the 50's and practiced with the great habs teams as the "other goalie in scrimages" are definately more valuable in my opinion. If you don't have anyone close to you that can help you out in this department, guys like Classic Hockey, Trottier, and Murray are guys that I really enjoy hearing from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->