Weber vs Petry

Shea vs Jeff

• Total voters

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Petry. Both are #2 guys. Weber is better for now but including contracts and the fact that Weber has been on the decline for a couple seasons now and I take Petry any day of the week.

Reactions: Heart Eater

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Petry. Both are #2 guys. Weber is better for now but including contracts and the fact that Weber has been on the decline for a couple seasons now and I take Petry any day of the week.
If you watched these two play in the same game there is no way you could come to this conclusion, Weber is handily better. It would take a number of seasons more of regression for Weber to get down to Petry's level, especially on the defensive end of the ice.

I get it though, joining in on the "Weber is on the decline" train is fun and Petry is doing a decent enough job this year offensively with Weber out, but Petry's -30 rating this year is no mistake, he can't hang with the big boys in his own end of the ice.

I'd take Weber easily here. However, I do appreciate Petry for stepping in to first line minutes as we would be much worse without him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If you watched these two play in the same game there is no way you could come to this conclusion, Weber is handily better. It would take a number of seasons more of regression for Weber to get down to Petry's level, especially on the defensive end of the ice.

I get it though, joining in on the "Weber is on the decline" train is fun and Petry is doing a decent enough job this year offensively with Weber out, but Petry's -30 rating this year is no mistake, he can't hang with the big boys in his own end of the ice.

I'd take Weber easily here. However, I do appreciate Petry for stepping in to first line minutes as we would be much worse without him.
I watch the Habs a decent bit and that is the conclusion I have come to. Petry is the better skater and puck mover. He is also better at defending the rush. He's underrated defensively as advanced stats show. As I said Weber is still better overall, as he's a physical presence and has a great shot. But you aren't giving Jeff Petry enough credit.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I watch the Habs a decent bit and that is the conclusion I have come to. Petry is the better skater and puck mover. He is also better at defending the rush. He's underrated defensively as advanced stats show. As I said Weber is still better overall, as he's a physical presence and has a great shot. But you aren't giving Jeff Petry enough credit.

This seems like the least controversial poll ever.

Petry is worth the money he is paid. Who is arguing that he isn't?

Weber is better defensively and brings a highly desirable ++ offensive tool with his shot, which is why he is being paid $2.3 million more.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I give Petry a lot of credit this year, he is a better skater and puck mover than Weber and he is doing alright being forced to play first line.

Petry is a great second line option in my opinion, but I would never feel comfortable with him on the top line, where Weber is still a great top line player (if only the Habs could get/keep a decent enough puck moving D to play with him).

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Weber is twice the player Petry ever will be.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked to see people trying to claim that Petry is on the same level as Weber. Weber's lack of puck moving abilities are really overstated. He's not some scrub that can't handle the puck. He's perfectly fine at passing the puck up the ice. He's not at the level of other top defensemen at moving the puck up the ice, but it's not like Petry is miles ahead of him in that regard. Weber was probably Montreal's best player until he got injured this season, playing on a fractured foot.

Reactions: KawaYui

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
petry because i absolutely love the idea of a jake gardiner on the right side

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad