Proposal: Weber to Ottawa

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Karlsson is very likely going to be gone by the end of next season and likely much earlier: Sens will need a #1D and Weber to me seems like a great candidate.

Sens have no issues from a cap perspective with Karlsson and Hoffman likely going, but have an absurdly cheap owner.

SEASONCAP HIT S. BONUSES BASE SALARY TOTAL SALARY
2018-19$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2019-20$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2020-21$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2021-22$7,857,143$0$6,000,000$6,000,000
2022-23$7,857,143$0$3,000,000$3,000,000
2023-24$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
2024-25$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
2025-26$7,857,143$0$1,000,000$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is a perfect contract for the Sens (especially if he retires after 2022-23).

What would Montreal want for him taking into account his horrible cap hit?

I’d trade Pageau and Ceci for him.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
his horrible cap will not be a problem when cap hits even higher

and no habs wont give weber for a 3/4th center and 4/5def
Weber can easily turn like chara

Would they do it for a 2/3rd line Center and a 3/4def?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
:laugh:

"Weber is a number 1 D and his contract is the perfect solution to Ottawa's problems. Now, what would you want for him considering his value is horrible and us taking him would be a favour?'

I have zero concern about Weber's contract. In a few years these are the scenarios:

a) he holds up like Chara and continues playing while being worth his cap hit

b) he's injured and on LTIR, not ideal, but not that bad

c) his play falls off and we find an excuse to stash him on LTIR. he has a lot of pride and I don't see him wanting to look terrible out there for 1M a year.

If Ottawa wants him prepare to pay 1D to a division rival prices.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
tradin weber means heavy rebuild
there's a mixed feeling about this within the Montreal fan base, some fans are tired to be a bubble team that dont have the proper player to push deep into a playoff run but the medias and other fans want to see the win in the regular season no matter what

but this is completely a different topic

as for OP, hopefully Melnyk will be gone soon enough but for now, I think that this is not enough for Weber, most likely Brown/White would be required in the deal as well

"to be fair, even if Weber's retiring early, no one would be stuck with the recapture except for NAS and it's not a 35+ contract so, all money would come off the book."

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
there's a mixed feeling about this within the Montreal fan base, some fans are tired to be a bubble team that dont have the proper player to push deep into a playoff run but the medias and other fans want to see the win in the regular season no matter what

as for OP, hopefully Melnyk will be gone soon enough but for now, I think that this is not enough for Weber, most likely Brown/White would be required in the deal as well

"to be fair, even if Weber's retiring early, no one would be stuck with the recapture except for NAS and it's not a 35+ contract so, all money would come off the book."

I’d be fine adding Brown. As I said, the purpose of this thread was to ask what it would take, my Ceci Pageau offer was just what I’d be willing to pay off the top of my head.

I’d add Brown if it got it done.

It sounds like Habs fans have zero interest in trading him though.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I wouldn't even say that. I think the vast majority of Montreal fans know we should rebuild and would be on board with trading Weber/Price/Patch. We just don't want to give them away, especially to rivals.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I wouldn't even say that. I think the vast majority of Montreal fans know we should rebuild and would be on board with trading Weber/Price/Patch. We just don't want to give them away, especially to rivals.

I really don’t think teams will offer premium assets for Weber given his contract, I just really don’t.

Reactions: Spazkat

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I really don’t think teams will offer premium assets for Weber given his contract, I just really don’t.

The only team that should be worried about Weber's contract is Nashville (and the league will let them off the hook anyway probably). If a GM wants Weber enough it won't be a barrier.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
The only team that should be worried about Weber's contract is Nashville (and the league will let them off the hook anyway probably). If a GM wants Weber enough it won't be a barrier.

But why would they want Weber enough? I was fair I think in the OP calling him a #1D, but his current game does not look extraordinary. I think I’d have a real tough time making an argument that’s he’s a top 20 defense man in the league.

Add to that the fact that his cap hit is very high relative to his skill level, and you’re left with only a handful of teams who would have interest in him.

I think we can pretty safely say any cap team has very limited interest in Weber at this point and would be highly unlikely to top a Pageau, Ceci, Brown offer. Do you disagree?

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Habs dont trade Weber unless it is full rebuild. His contract as a number 1D is fine for the next 4 to 5 years then he retires and becomes Nashville's issue.

I'm sure when this CBA ends in September 2022, teams will be given compliance buyouts again.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
But why would they want Weber enough? I was fair I think in the OP calling him a #1D, but his current game does not look extraordinary. I think I’d have a real tough time making an argument that’s he’s a top 20 defense man in the league.

Add to that the fact that his cap hit is very high relative to his skill level, and you’re left with only a handful of teams who would have interest in him.

I think we can pretty safely say any cap team has very limited interest in Weber at this point and would be highly unlikely to top a Pageau, Ceci, Brown offer. Do you disagree?

Weber broke his foot in the first game last year, he played about a month before shutting it down, but if you are solely judging him on that its pretty disingenuous.

The year before he was 6th in Norris voting. We also went from 100+ points and winning the division with a healthy Weber to 28th in league without. Price went from Vezina finalist with him to worst season of his career without him. I think its actually pretty easy to make a case for him being a top 20 D.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Weber broke his foot in the first game last year, he played about a month before shutting it down, but if you are solely judging him on that its pretty disingenuous.

The year before he was 6th in Norris voting. We also went from 100+ points and winning the division with a healthy Weber to 28th in league without. Price went from Vezina finalist with him to worst season of his career without him. I think its actually pretty easy to make a case for him being a top 20 D.

Well it seems I misunderstood the Habs view on Weber's value. If you're asking for premium assets in a trade, I'd definitely prefer to go after a better defenseman.

Proposal withdrawn.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Sounds like another dumb Ottawa move in the interest of not writing a check.

... Oh sorry, cheque.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Well it seems I misunderstood the Habs view on Weber's value. If you're asking for premium assets in a trade, I'd definitely prefer to go after a better defenseman.

Proposal withdrawn.

I know, right? Crazy how we would value our best skater as a premium asset.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
To this Habs fan, Weber is not available without substantial overpayment. Even in a full rebuild scenario he's a great mentor for the young kids.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'd be all for trading him if it means a real rebuild but that means getting young players/picks back. So Caci maybe but something other than Pageau. This being said, Bergevin would never go for it as his job is likely on the line this year.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Ottawa doesn't need Weber, they're not gonna be competitive anytime soon. If they need help hitting the cap floor, they can take on bad contracts while also getting assets in the process. You're gonna have to pay up to get a #1D from a division rival and there's no sense in doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->