Weber or Suter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Ok, I just had to post a reply in this thread after seeing people actually call Weber overrated. I havent seen Suter play so by no means is it even fair for me to say who is a better prospect, still blows my mind how others are able to do so.

Anyway as a Kelowna Rockets season ticket holder for many years, I have seen virtually even game at home Shea has played in the past 3-4 years and let me tell you he is no way overrated. He is getting a lot of hype because he came from nowwhere and has now become a huge prospect. Not since Scott Hannan has a player from kelowna been so clearly a lock to be a very good NHLer. Weber is a lot like Hannan was in the sense that we here in Kelowna knew he was going to be great but he wasnt flashy so he has quietly become one of the best D-men in the NHL.

Its not like Weber will score 20 goals or get a lot of recognition, but he will be the horse that plays a whack of minutes, will play against the other teams top lines, will punish people coming across the blueline, get his nose dirty, scrap when he has to and makes the first pass out of the zone as good as anyone. Watching Shea the past two years was like watching Regher and Jackman in junior and look what they turned out to be. My only wish was that he used he slap shot more because its a killer, but he has the little wrist shot that seems to find its way through everyone into the net, so who am I to say.

This thread must be great for a Pred fan, arguments over two great pro prospects. The one person I have talked to about Weber who doesnt feel he is overrated is Trotz. He has ben in town a number of times and I had a lengthy talk with him about Shea and you couldnt get him to stop smiling. He said almost every team in the league have made comments to him abotu how the hell did they get him as far down as they did.

I have watched Hamuis in junior many times and between him and Weber, Nashville fans are going to see alot of forwards get punished if they dont keep their heads up.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
FLYLine88 said:
Yea, guess half the people int he thread who also said Weber is overrated are also out to lunch. The great Slats opinion is superior to all?
The opinion of those who see the player usually outweigh the opinion of those who sit on their couch and say they are overrated.

I won't give you an opinion based on B.S. and don't always claim to be right, but at least my opinion will be informed.

Like....I would never call Bruce Graham overrated, since I haven't seen him play.

And no...I don't think I am great, or superior....and I find it insulting that you would say that. So if you want to give an opinion, maybe just base it on something.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
nomorekids said:
...but I'd also take Weber ahead of Coburn, Seabrook, Belle or even Barker.
Based on my viewings...

Weber, Coburn and Seabrook are all neck and neck.
Barker is very close to them, and Belle...um....skates like the wind....other parts need work.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
That is the thing I don't understand in this comparison.

Flames fans....who is more important to your team...Regher or Leopold?

That is what kind of comparison it is...Stevens vs. Niedermayer.

Hatcher in his prime vs. Zubov.

The two are pretty different players, one is an all around, smooth skating, both ends of the ice kind of guy, and the other a monster that you don't want to meet in the back alley.

Me personally? I like classical and heavy metal. :yo:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Suter may have been the best player for the Preds last night vs the Blues. I had never seen him play before and it is only one game but it looks like he is a very solid player. Weber looked good as well.

buckyhockey8

Jun 13, 2005
Madison, WI
I've seen Suter play both at the UW and In Milwaukee and I don't think compairing him to his uncle Gary is too far off. He is a little less offensive, but he still brings that Suter grit to the ice and he plays hard. I haven't seen Weber so I can't really comment on who has more upside or who's better now, but I think Suter has what it takes to be a top pairing guy, if not this year then next.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
slats432 said:
The opinion of those who see the player usually outweigh the opinion of those who sit on their couch and say they are overrated.

I won't give you an opinion based on B.S. and don't always claim to be right, but at least my opinion will be informed.

Like....I would never call Bruce Graham overrated, since I haven't seen him play.

And no...I don't think I am great, or superior....and I find it insulting that you would say that. So if you want to give an opinion, maybe just base it on something.

I was fine with your opinion up until the "So your out to lunch on this one Fly" or whatever it was, thats just as insulting.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
FLYLine88 said:
I was fine with your opinion up until the "So your out to lunch on this one Fly" or whatever it was, thats just as insulting.
Yours was the last post that I saw and it said overrated, but I will go on record that all people who think Weber is overrated are out to lunch...don't take it so personal. :)

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Tough to compare Weber to Suter having only limited viewing of Suter, but Weber stacks up well against the other WHL dmen. My order would be Phaneuf, Coburn, Weber, Barker, Seabrook, Belle from the 03s. Add in the other early drafted WHL dmen in the last few years and my order would go:

Phaneuf
Coburn
Weber
Barker
Seabrook
Fistric
Green
Jackson
Mikkelson
Sauer
Funk
Schultz
Rogers
Kohn
Egener

He's in nice company there up near the top of that list, and is by no means overrated. We over here in the west have known about him for a long time; just because the rest of the world found out about him all at once at the WJs doesn't make him overrated, it just means he's finally correctly rated after being extremely underrated.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Attica said:
I'd love if the canucks were in Nashvilles situation with 2 excellent defensive prospects.
You forgot Kevin Klein (very underrated, ahead of Weber slightly IMO), Ryan Parent, and even though no longer a prospect Dan Hamhuis (who is better than both Suter and Weber IMO)

Transported Upstater

Suter is better than Weber in my opinion. But they are two very different players.

I honestly think of any North American defenseman prospect, the only one better than Suter is Dion Phaneuf.

IMO:

1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Ryan Suter
3a) Shea Weber
3b) Cam Barker

Regarding other USA defensemen: If people think Jack Johnson was as good with the U-18's as Ryan Suter, they are looking more for a statistical defenseman. I think Suter was better as an 18-year old than Johnson is now, and I do not think Johnson (who I thought was the 2nd or 3rd best player available in the 2005 draft) will be as consistent as Suter will in his career.

Transported Upstater

lightning_legwand said:
Phaneuf is over rated as well as Coburn IMO.

Coburn, I'm not overly impressed with, but only because we're putting him in a group with Phaneuf, Suter and Weber, which is some pretty elite company.

I'm glad Phaneuf fell to Calgary...he's perfect for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad