Weber or Suter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning_legwand*

It just strikes me as off that some magazines previewing the season have Weber rated alot igher than Suter.
I thought it would have been close but did not know everyone would favour Weber. And these guys are expert analysists.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
lightning_legwand said:
It just strikes me as off that some magazines previewing the season have Weber rated alot igher than Suter.
I thought it would have been close but did not know everyone would favour Weber. And these guys are expert analysists.

i think it's the same reason that some people aren't all that high on suter, even here. suter plays a very non-flashy game. he's not going to wow you with magic stickwork, he doesn't lay the hits phaneuf or weber do...but at the same time, he literally has NO weakness in his game. he does everything and does it well. he's an amazing passer, rock-solid positionally, and while not a monster physically, his game is anything but soft. he's not the rockstar type of defenseman that gets hyped..he's the quiet guy that sits back and never makes a mistake. both of these guys have had camps far beyond anything we could have hoped for, but at the end of the day...suter...and not weber...is going to make this team.

lightning_legwand*

Weber is not over rated, he deserves all teh credit he gets based on his play. If he is over rated, then so is Phaneuf from that team Canada.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
lightning_legwand said:
Weber is not over rated, he deserves all teh credit he gets based on his play. If he is over rated, then so is Phaneuf from that team Canada.

i think weber is a *little* overrated, but i think phaneuf is, too. and that's in no way a knock on the potential of either, i just think that the hype train is getting a little out of hand.

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
nomorekids said:
suter plays a very non-flashy game. he's not going to wow you with magic stickwork, he doesn't lay the hits phaneuf or weber do...but at the same time, he literally has NO weakness in his game. he does everything and does it well. he's an amazing passer, rock-solid positionally, and while not a monster physically, his game is anything but soft. he's not the rockstar type of defenseman that gets hyped..he's the quiet guy that sits back and never makes a mistake.

Sounds a lot like another of your dmen... Parent :)

I wish Montreal had your dmen prospects!!!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
All Star United said:
Sounds a lot like another of your dmen... Parent :)

I wish Montreal had your dmen prospects!!!

Parent plays a similar style, but he's not as good at either end as Suter. His skating is better than Suter's...which is saying something...and he's a little bigger, though. Overall...i see Suter as a number 1...and Parent as an awesome second pairing guy.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I think that suter is underrated by many. I relly like this prospect. Great 2-way Dman.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Weber is most certainly not overrated, however i think Suter is underrated. Suter, like another poster said, has no flaws to his game, While Weber has very few flaws, but stands out a few different ways.

I live in Kelowna, I've seen Weber play 50+ times, he is the real deal. He was developed very well in kelowna's defense first system. I've seen Suter twice, and he's excellent, but weber isn't to be underestimated. Kind of a ridiculous discussion, I'd love if the canucks were in Nashvilles situation with 2 excellent defensive prospects.

Towelie*

Man, I wish the Canucks had Weber. I watched him very closely thoughout the WHL playoffs, and he dominated. He dominated even after coming off of a long term injury. I have seen so little of Suter. Would you say Sutur is a Ohlund type player?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I really dont' care who is rated what. After watching camp this week I can tell you both are talented as is Parent. Suter is more fluid, Weber is beast and Parent can skate like the wind.

I was suprised at Weber's shot from the point. I was suprised at how strong Suter seemed to be. Did I mention how well Parent could skate.

I'll add that Klien isn't that far behind either.

I was also a little impressed with Todd and Franson.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Comfortably Numb said:
Man, I wish the Canucks had Weber. I watched him very closely thoughout the WHL playoffs, and he dominated. He dominated even after coming off of a long term injury. I have seen so little of Suter. Would you say Sutur is a Ohlund type player?

Ryan Suter playes like Gary Suter. Except not as dirty with the elbow, and not as offensive as Gary. Ryan even trys to model his game after his uncle.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Russian_fanatic said:
Ryan Suter playes like Gary Suter. Except not as dirty with the elbow, and not as offensive as Gary. Ryan even trys to model his game after his uncle.

i actually don't see the gary suter comparison as much...and an earlier poster mentioned Ohlund...I think that's a pretty good comparison that I've never really thought of.

lightning_legwand*

I think both of them coudl be stars in the NHL no problem.

lightning_legwand*

Lol,
Weber is not over rated.
Maybe you can elaborate on that.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
FLYLine88 said:
Weber is definitely overrated and Suter is a little underrated.
I saw Weber and Phanuef play side by side live. You would have a tough time picking which one you like better.

Weber is like a bigger, stronger, nastier Jason Smith. Depending on what kind of defenseman you need, will determine your preference.

Overrated? Not so much. I would place Weber in the top 10 defensive prospects that I would want to have on my team and appears in the HF top 50 for good reason. Sorry FLY...you are out to lunch on this one.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
slats432 said:
I saw Weber and Phanuef play side by side live. You would have a tough time picking which one you like better.

Weber is like a bigger, stronger, nastier Jason Smith. Depending on what kind of defenseman you need, will determine your preference.

Overrated? Not so much. I would place Weber in the top 10 defensive prospects that I would want to have on my team and appears in the HF top 50 for good reason. Sorry FLY...you are out to lunch on this one.

Yea, guess half the people int he thread who also said Weber is overrated are also out to lunch. The great Slats opinion is superior to all?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
FLYLine88 said:
Yea, guess half the people int he thread who also said Weber is overrated are also out to lunch. The great Slats opinion is superior to all?

i tend to trust slats...who has SEEN weber...over the largely american group who only feels he's overrated because he's being grouped into the more "highly touted" group drafted ahead of him here on HF. Personally, I'd still take Phaneuf or Suter first...but I'd also take Weber ahead of Coburn, Seabrook, Belle or even Barker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->