Post-Game Talk: We win

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hall is twice the player Drai is, and was only making $6M. Drai rode the coat tails of Taylor Hall one season, then rode the coat tails of McDavid another. Then signed a massive $8.5M contract.

What were you saying about Hall last season? Hell I'm not sure why you even said that :huh:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You can refrain, you know? It's a thread where we won a hockey game against a pretty good team. That's a positive thing. There's got to be some escape here from seeing what somebody thinks about a trade that happened two years ago that had little impact on the result of the game.

It's sad how the game where Puljujarvi had two points a while back and want dominant turned into a competition for some posters of who could throw the most crap at him. Now we beat Vegas, rather handily, and it's a crap on Puljujarvi, Chia and cry about Hall fest. It's almost like posters here don't even care about the games at all.

Reactions: PulYou

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
What were you saying about Hall last season? Hell I'm not sure why you even said that :huh:

I had never heard anyone claim that Draisaitl was riding Hall's coattails before.

Both on the team before Chia's hiring. Please no one stalk me for the first sentence of this post. :D

It's sad how the game where Puljujarvi had two points a while back and want dominant turned into a competition for some posters of who could throw the most crap at him. Now we beat Vegas, rather handily, and it's a crap on Puljujarvi, Chia and cry about Hall fest. It's almost like posters here don't even care about the games at all.

Can't remember the first game you are talking about. Guilty for providing a reason for the start of the crap fest, I guess. Not sure why I end up being the focus of those here to vent the anger in their life anonymously rather than dealing with their problems in real life. Guess it's my sunny personality. :laugh:

Reactions: nabob

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
I'm sorry, but that's just absurd.

I can perhaps allow one to make a case that Nuge is better defensively, although I think it's fairly close.

But offensively?

In 7 seasons, Nuge has never reached 60 points. NEVER. In three year's Drai's done it twice.

Remember last year's playoffs before the stink of this year got in the way? Nuge had how many goals again? And Drai had what? 16 points in 13 games, most of WITHOUT McDavid.

And what about last year when Drai had twice the points of Nuge?

And even this year, a good Nuge year and a bad Drai year (relatively speaking) Drai STILL leads in PPG and overall points. And I haven't even mentioned faceoffs yet.

I think the slight regression and the contract in combination with Nuge overachieving this year has really warped people's perception of the two players. Definitely lends credence to the saying, "what have you done for me lately."

yeah, play nuge with mcdavid for 2 years and he definitely clears 60 points, duh.

Reactions: ujju2

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Hall is twice the player Drai is, and was only making $6M. Drai rode the coat tails of Taylor Hall one season, then rode the coat tails of McDavid another. Then signed a massive $8.5M contract.

What an absurd statement.

As Nabob alluded to, last year Drai had 25 more points than Hall. How convenient to post this drivel after Hall has a career year and Drai has a slightly down year. I will concede that at this point in their careers, Hall is the better player. But twice as good? Come on, man.

Who did he ride the coattails of this year? He still put up 70 (well, 69) points playing most of the year with 3rd and 4rth liners.

Oh, and add in a dysfunctional power play and a concussion and his numbers would probably be 10-15 points higher.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What an absurd statement.

As Nabob alluded to, last year Drai had 25 more points than Hall. How convenient to post this drivel after Hall has a career year and Drai has a slightly down year. I will concede that at this point in their careers, Hall is the better player. But twice as good? Come on, man.

Who did he ride the coattails of this year? He still put up 70 (well, 69) points playing most of the year with 3rd and 4rth liners.

Oh, and add in a dysfunctional power play and a concussion and his numbers would probably be 10-15 points higher.

He's played half the year with Connor, he is also a key cog in that dysfunctional power play and it being dysfunctional falls on the players on the power play.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He's played half the year with Connor, he is also a key cog in that dysfunctional power play and it being dysfunctional falls on the players on the power play.

Actually I think quite a bit less than half. And yes, I do agree that the players are somewhat responsible for the powerplay's failings but that set-up is ludicrous. For example, why is Drai on the point and not in the bumper spot where he enjoyed so much success last year? Hopefully Woody Woodpecker is gone next year and someone that knows how to run a powerplay comes in.

Reactions: nabob

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This might be a long shot but maybe the possibility that a young, right shot defenseman that they might've been coveting came available which might've set some wheels in motion.

Larsson didn't become available. They weren't shopping him. The only reason that player became available was because Chia offered Hall and who wouldn't take a prize cow for some magic beans.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Last post here since I already wrote it:

Eh? It was one of three seasons of close to identical (counting) results in a row, and right in line with his career average (which seems to be quite extreme in fluctuation - Hall seems to have literally two modes, 60 point guy and 90 point guy).

You keep referencing raw numbers which doesn't factor in GP which is why I like Pts/60 with emphasis on 5x5 production. By that measure, Hall's campaign last year was his worst since his rookie season. But his Hart-calibre season this year is only his third best 5 on 5 season. Beyond that he's been a consistent high-end to elite producer at 5 on 5 who also happens to drive offense. Shero knew this which is why he probably couldn't believe his ears when Chia offered him up. Those kinds of players are rare as hen's teeth, certainly moreso than very good middle pair/average top pair D.

Yup. But the argument is always that Chiarelli has to be fired.

Maturity is a weird thing. You never know if or when guys are going to achieve it. The turnaround from Hall this year has been amazing and if he wins so be it.

Everybody craptalking Chia assumes a "better" or "good" GM could have gotten a much better return on Hall. This time last year I think the Devils would have taken Larsson back given the opportunity.

No the argument is they never should have traded Hall in the first place. The coach stuff, the maturity stuff, it's all noise next to the on-ice results.

What could the Oilers have done to make Hall willing to have a dialogue with coaches here?

Hire a good coach?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess people just can't be bothered to post in the 2-3 other Hall threads they have to pollute every thread.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad