Post-Game Talk: We suck (Well, the Players, coaches, management, Ice Caretakers)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe Flames fans can comment, but from what I read, I don't get that they are looking for that big of a change. Hartley, by all accounts, was a bit of a bastard as a coach and very hard on the players. Gulutzan, was the exact opposite being a "players coach" and too nice. Peters, IMO, is kind of in between. He's blunt, direct, commands respect and does things his way, yet seems to also have at least a decent relationship with players. I got the impression that's kind of what the GM wants.

Calgary definitely has the defense and forwards to run the type of system Peters wants to run, probably more-so than the Canes, and they also have more scoring talent. If they have decent goaltendings, Peters could be very successful there.

You’re exactly on point.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yeah, having watched a decent bit of Flames games this year I really don't think Bill Peters is the answer to your guys problems, everything about the way he handles the Canes systems just seems too similar to what the issue was with the Flames. Getting rid of Gulutzan was the right call, but it's like you'd be bringing in a doppelganger for him. Not saying that Peters isn't a better coach, he probably is, but if you're looking for a real change behind the bench he's literally one of the last guys Calgary should be looking to.

Yikes. Calgary really needs more tempo and defensive involvement than it sounds like Peters prefers.

Maybe Flames fans can comment, but from what I read, I don't get that they are looking for that big of a change. Hartley, by all accounts, was a bit of a bastard as a coach and very hard on the players. Gulutzan, was the exact opposite being a "players coach" and too nice. Peters, IMO, is kind of in between. He's blunt, direct, commands respect and does things his way, yet seems to also have at least a decent relationship with players. I got the impression that's kind of what the GM wants.

Calgary definitely has the defense and forwards to run the type of system Peters wants to run, probably more-so than the Canes, and they also have more scoring talent. If they have decent goaltendings, Peters could be very successful there.

Hartley wasn't a players' coach but he had an eye for talent and was harder on players who lacked it than on guys who could make things happen. He didn't suffer from grinder-itis so to speak. I think Bob Hartley was a great coach who was done in by one bad year of goaltending and a roster that lacked depth.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->