Post-Game Talk: We suck (Well, the Players, coaches, management, Ice Caretakers)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder what kind of investment that Dundon can put into improving that?

There are a few posters that suggested it's intentional. We are a low skilled team so why give high skilled teams better ice when they come to play us?

I'd say it more has to do with the ice guy and the equipment, but who knows.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
XZbSouwbnIvVQ6FIa8MfwhFUrlg=.gif

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Positives:
He's shown a capability to get a lot out of a little
He can run a pretty structured system
He's a pretty direct, straight shooter
Very good possession system/coach
When he's given young players a lot of rope, they've done well by and large

Negatives:
Line juggling (to be fair, it's probably no more than other coaches)
Having questionable favorites (again, every coach and team has these guys)
Possibly in game adjustments
Challenges
When he hasn't put young players in the right position, they haven't done as well (in fairness, we don't know if those players are good yet, so it may not be all on him)
His system seems to lead to more dangerous chances against
Hard to say if he can elevate a team to the next level
Goalie decisions

At the end of the day, I think he has a lot of positives as a coach even though I'm ready to move on. I think he has a chance to do well with a better team, and might even be able to do good things if he continues with this team as we continue to evolve and improve. As much as we complain about talent, many of us, and many in the hockey media, expected us to take the next step this year, and it's hard to say how much of not taking that next step was Peters not being to elevate them there versus not having enough talent.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks guys! I’m sure like every coach he has pros and cons. He seems like he may be heading to Calgary and I know hardly anything of him.

From an outside view, he seems to have designed a defence that holds the line to their zone very well. Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin have all appeared to do extremely well on his watch. Gulutzan was very much “one of the guys” and I feel that he was a poor motivator but was an amazing systems guy. If Peters comes to Calgary and implements a good possession system but can pull the right strings, I think he could find success right away.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Some people here will point to Peters possibly being a poor motivator. Some because they showed his pregame time with the players occasionally, and he didn't set the world on fire. Honestly, to me, it looked like every other team and coach that announces their starting lineup, does some stupid claps and such, and bullet points a few things from the game plan.

More concerning from that point is the team not starting on time, whether that be early in games, or seasons.

Overall, many of the things I've seen Gulatzan maligned for, or Flames fans hoping they don't get, don't really line up well with what Peters is all about. Again, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be successful with a different team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah, having watched a decent bit of Flames games this year I really don't think Bill Peters is the answer to your guys problems, everything about the way he handles the Canes systems just seems too similar to what the issue was with the Flames. Getting rid of Gulutzan was the right call, but it's like you'd be bringing in a doppelganger for him. Not saying that Peters isn't a better coach, he probably is, but if you're looking for a real change behind the bench he's literally one of the last guys Calgary should be looking to.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe Flames fans can comment, but from what I read, I don't get that they are looking for that big of a change. Hartley, by all accounts, was a bit of a bastard as a coach and very hard on the players. Gulutzan, was the exact opposite being a "players coach" and too nice. Peters, IMO, is kind of in between. He's blunt, direct, commands respect and does things his way, yet seems to also have at least a decent relationship with players. I got the impression that's kind of what the GM wants.

Calgary definitely has the defense and forwards to run the type of system Peters wants to run, probably more-so than the Canes, and they also have more scoring talent. If they have decent goaltendings, Peters could be very successful there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->