Post-Game Talk: We suck (Well, the Players, coaches, management, Ice Caretakers)

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I can't believe some of the players signed themselves to the contracts they have and now since they suck are refusing to trade themselves. I can't believe they aren't holding themselves accountable and are refusing to put themselves in the press box for their lackluster play.

f***ing millenials!

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Long time lurker here. I finally decided to make an account. Yeah, I am so damn tired of the Hurricanes sucking every year. I am also so tired of the Hurricanes sucking enough to miss the playoffs since 2009, but not sucking enough to get a high draft pick. Usually the Hurricanes will play so trashy in the first half of the season, and then they become more productive point wise in the second half of the season that they are just outside of the playoffs but won't get a high draft pick. It is so maddening.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So I sat there and watched the team today and tried to figure out “what’s missing.” My perception - yes, the forwards lack finish, creativity, overall skill. Yes, yes they do. The addition of Necas hopefully next year, the improvement of Aho, and perhaps a few of the Charlotte players breaking into the lineup will certainly help. However, I don’t think that’s the most pressing issue.

What I saw today, and if anyone backs me up or contradicts me that’s cool, I think all of you probably watch more than me....but what I saw today was a hesitancy on the part of every single defenseman to move the puck quickly up the ice, whether it be by pass or by skating it at least to the red line. The opposing teams can choke the neutral zone because they don’t have anything to fear from the Canes’ back end. If the passes are completed, the forwards have no speed crossing the blue line. What ends up happening is the inevitable dump and chase, and while they do cause the occasional turnover, there has to be the ability to mix it up. You can’t do the same thing over and over.

And I started thinking about it more, and really, who on the defense is really skilled, really creative? No one. Faulk has his shot, Hanifin can skate it out of trouble (but his decision making? Suspect), but the rest, when pressured, have nothing that scares the other team. They all have their strengths and I do like each individual player, but as a unit i really think they’re lacking.

TL:DR? I used to think trading Faulk for a game changing forward was the answer. I’m off that now. I think a change on the blue line is necessary. I don’t dislike any of them, I just don’t think this team will be able to progress without some more offense from the blue line.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Trade deadline is coming up hey? Sell, sell, sell!
giphy.gif

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So I sat there and watched the team today and tried to figure out “what’s missing.” My perception - yes, the forwards lack finish, creativity, overall skill. Yes, yes they do. The addition of Necas hopefully next year, the improvement of Aho, and perhaps a few of the Charlotte players breaking into the lineup will certainly help. However, I don’t think that’s the most pressing issue.

What I saw today, and if anyone backs me up or contradicts me that’s cool, I think all of you probably watch more than me....but what I saw today was a hesitancy on the part of every single defenseman to move the puck quickly up the ice, whether it be by pass or by skating it at least to the red line. The opposing teams can choke the neutral zone because they don’t have anything to fear from the Canes’ back end. If the passes are completed, the forwards have no speed crossing the blue line. What ends up happening is the inevitable dump and chase, and while they do cause the occasional turnover, there has to be the ability to mix it up. You can’t do the same thing over and over.

And I started thinking about it more, and really, who on the defense is really skilled, really creative? No one. Faulk has his shot, Hanifin can skate it out of trouble (but his decision making? Suspect), but the rest, when pressured, have nothing that scares the other team. They all have their strengths and I do like each individual player, but as a unit i really think they’re lacking.

TL:DR? I used to think trading Faulk for a game changing forward was the answer. I’m off that now. I think a change on the blue line is necessary. I don’t dislike any of them, I just don’t think this team will be able to progress without some more offense from the blue line.
I think this is more of a recent development. One of the main reasons people were somewhat bullish on this team to start the season was the fact that we were decent at moving the puck and breaking out from the D-zone last season with the emergence of Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin.

Now the tape seems to be out on them and we can't seem to break out of the zone clean if our lives depended on it. Part of it is a coaching thing and their lack of ability to make adjustments. Part of it could just be all of our D-men regressing badly.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think this is more of a recent development. One of the main reasons people were somewhat bullish on this team to start the season was the fact that we were decent at moving the puck and breaking out from the D-zone last season with the emergence of Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin.

Now the tape seems to be out on them and we can't seem to break out of the zone clean if our lives depended on it. Part of it is a coaching thing and their lack of ability to make adjustments. Part of it could just be all of our D-men regressing badly.

Or they (the coaches) changed something about how we attack the puck?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
the wingers, all of them (albeit some more than others) are cheating. they sit in the slot if the puck is not on their side of the defensive zone, or puckchase if it is their side.

they're coached for the fast breakout. i think sens is right. for one, none of the defenders are adept passers, for two, i think the coaching staff also tells the d to reset if they don't get the look they want, for three few if any of the wingers are dangerous enough in to get the other team to back off.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
We can only be so lucky. Let’s hope he manages to reach that level of relevance
Some will still blame him regardless and come up with every excuse in the book for the guy who picked him.

If new owner Tom Dundon wants to win over fans, he ought to be handing out $5 bills at the end of every flaccid Victor Rask shift in apology – and there are only four more years to run on the long-term contract Francis gave Rask for no apparent reason.
giphy.gif

The rest of the article is spot on as well, although I think he goes a little too lightly on Peters. Peters only has the balls to bench guys like Fleury and 4th liners. He holds no one else accountable. Faulk, Skinner, etc should have been benched for a few games a long time ago.

Now if only other members of the media covering this team daily had some balls like Luke...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad