OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It's definitely changed. The awards aren't about who deserves it for actually doing well in whatever category, but it largely seems based upon who they think is deserving in the political sense. For example, there was zero chance Dunkirk would win best picture just given the topic and who was in it. It's not culturally hip or weird, so it couldn't win.

Without getting too political, listening to the Hollywood hypocrites is nauseating. Nearly every single issue they stand against or up for are things that demonstrate their hypocrisy and it drives me nuts.

Awesome, I can catch that after the new season of Silicon Valley.

It is very political and very predetermined.... I was not a fan of Dunkirk, it was to me more an action experience movie with no character development, so it lost me, but in years past movies like American Beauty would get appreciated.

If Lady Bird came out in 1996 it would be dismissed as a bad Drew Barrymore movie

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Most movies suck these days. I was a big fan of the original Star Wars but the new ones are bad. I can't remember the last time i saw a funny comedy movie. I do like Game of Thrones which is not for everyone. Ray Donovan is a pretty good show as well. I miss the 80's when there were so many good comedies on TV compared to now when you have all these freaking reality TV garbage.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
2e3b69ce91b65e6de4fa6b32c3a4040c--heather-locklear-heather-orourke.jpg

I'm sorry, are you saying the people pictured (above) are the SAME HUMAN?

Yes.

Man Heather Locklear and Heather Thomas in the 80's. Anyone else own this poster?.....

s-l1000.jpg

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Most movies suck these days. I was a big fan of the original Star Wars but the new ones are bad. I can't remember the last time i saw a funny comedy movie. I do like Game of Thrones which is not for everyone. Ray Donovan is a pretty good show as well. I miss the 80's when there were so many good comedies on TV compared to now when you have all these freaking reality TV garbage.

The days of Animal House, Stripes, Porky's, Caddyshack, Fletch etc... long over... although Game Night was very funny, because it was more in the spirit of situational comedy

Movies can't compete with TV shows that are 10 episodes in a season, you can develop character and plot lines and slow paces for bigger payoffs

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I would love to live the good old days of getting thrashed by the Rangers, a summer full of Ace Of Base, OJ, and my daily Ab-Isolator routine in 1994 over this garbage.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What are we talking about?
Terrorists = bad.
Movies today are not as good as movies used to be.
Some miss their Ab-Isolators.
We pine for American Beauty but not Drew Barrymore.
Botox is bad for your looks.
Isles not good.
TV shows are better than movies.
Heather Locklear and Heather Thomas are apparently not the same person (never knew that).
Wieners.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times, they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Terrorists = bad.
Movies today are not as good as movies used to be.
Some miss their Ab-Isolators.
We pine for American Beauty but not Drew Barrymore.
Botox is bad for your looks.
Isles not good.
TV shows are better than movies.
Heather Locklear and Heather Thomas are apparently not the same person (never knew that).
Wieners.

You forgot:
Steel drums can go f*** themselves.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
**Preface... This is gonna be a long one lol**
Wholeheartedly disagree... With almost all of this. I will give you comedy movies not being as good... A lot of comedy nowadays (at least on the big screen) is slapstick and crude, which I don't mind, but some of them are crude just to be crude. There are actually a lot of funny shows on TV nowadays... Modern Family is clearly at the end of its rope, but the early stuff is very good. New Girl is another one that seems to understand it's almost done and thus, this is the last season, but also very good. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is another. There are others, including Broad City, but I'll leave it at that.

The last few Star Wars (let's call them the Disney Star Wars) were a lot better than people give it credit for, imo... The only one I wasn't a huge fan of was Force Awakens, but that's because of the lack of originality since, let's be real, it was essentially a remastered A New Hope. Rogue One was a pretty original "prelude" to ANH and The Last Jedi introduced more similarities to the original 3, but there is a lot of originality in this one as compared to the others. It's generally accepted that Episodes I-III were hot garbage and I don't think there's anyone (myself included) who could argue otherwise.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
What qualifies as an Oscar caliber picture today is not what they were like 10 or 20 years ago... Lady Bird was an atrocious version of any teen flick... Shape of Water was a bad version of Splash... I mean best movie of the year was Molly's Game followed by Big Sick and neither got nominated

Currently, in order to win at the Academy Awards, films have to touch upon race, social (in)justice, politics, etc. IMO, I think we're trending away from awarding good films that lack political or racial undertones.

Personally, I thought all of the nominees for Best Picture were shit. Shape of Water was Beauty and the Beast to me, just in amphibious form.

LOL, Dix Hills is a trainwreck of a town must be good for creative observations, the director of the Hangover movies went there as well the head of the DNC (Wasserman), and that other movie director Mottola.

Beats going to school with Kriss Angel

You're an East Meadow guy? I'm sorry. One of my aunts graduated with Joel Rifkin, another graduated with Mrs. Bobby Nystrom. And at least 10 people I know from childhood have been arrested. That place can be a black hole.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Currently, in order to win at the Academy Awards, films have to touch upon race, social (in)justice, politics, etc. IMO, I think we're trending away from awarding good films that lack political or racial undertones.

Personally, I thought all of the nominees for Best Picture were ****. Shape of Water was Beauty and the Beast to me, just in amphibious form.

You're an East Meadow guy? I'm sorry. One of my aunts graduated with Joel Rifkin, another graduated with Mrs. Bobby Nystrom. And at least 10 people I know from childhood have been arrested. That place can be a black hole.

Yep EM guy, that town is definitely a mess as well, I lived around the corner from Rifkin and a lot of future criminals in the town, but we tend to overachieve if we don't fall in the wrong crowd.

Dix Hills is a safe town, just the people there are Gold Coast wannabe's and act very snotty, live through the kids, and a lot of in town cheating for sure.

Your aunt sounds like she is older than me, Rifkin was 77 with my uncle and Mrs Nystrom was way before that. Are you from EM?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yep EM guy, that town is definitely a mess as well, I lived around the corner from Rifkin and a lot of future criminals in the town, but we tend to overachieve if we don't fall in the wrong crowd.

Dix Hills is a safe town, just the people there are Gold Coast wannabe's and act very snotty, live through the kids, and a lot of in town cheating for sure.

Your aunt sounds like she is older than me, Rifkin was 77 with my uncle and Mrs Nystrom was way before that. Are you from EM?

I grew up in Uniondale, lots of bad blood with EM and lots of fights back in the day. I avoided those guys. Our claim to fame was baba booey. He was funny in school.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010

Both sides of my family graduated EMHS, so most are probably older than you, but I may have an uncle or two around your age. My parents graduated in '79.

My Jewish friends were the EM overachievers lol. I was an EM guy until age 10 but, since then, I've been a stone's throw away in Bellmore. Still played sports in EM, and a lot of my friends growing up were from EM. I was a Catholic school kid though, which I think worked out for the best.

I know a lot of people from Suffolk who say the same thing about Dix Hills. That's funny. I don't know much about that town but, on reputation alone, it seems like a lot of people want to keep up with the Joneses and think they're on par with the wealthy folks who live in Sands Point, CSH, etc. I work on the North Shore, and a lot of these people are very competitive when it comes to material items.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I grew up in Uniondale, lots of bad blood with EM and lots of fights back in the day. I avoided those guys. Our claim to fame was baba booey. He was funny in school.

The Knights, we always played you on New Year's Eve in Hoops, got my first 2 points on that floor, in garbage time in 10th grade and had to wait until 1/2 to see my name in the paper

Gary McLain was a solid player that was on the Villanova championship team in 1985. When did you graduate from Uniondale?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Both sides of my family graduated EMHS, so most are probably older than you, but I may have an uncle or two around your age. My parents graduated in '79.

My Jewish friends were the EM overachievers lol. I was an EM guy until age 10 but, since then, I've been a stone's throw away in Bellmore. Still played sports in EM, and a lot of my friends growing up were from EM. I was a Catholic school kid though, which I think worked out for the best.

I know a lot of people from Suffolk who say the same thing about Dix Hills. That's funny. I don't know much about that town but, on reputation alone, it seems like a lot of people want to keep up with the Joneses and think they're on par with the wealthy folks who live in Sands Point, CSH, etc. I work on the North Shore, and a lot of these people are very competitive when it comes to material items.

having grown up in East Meadow and lived in Dix Hills as an adult, East Meadow was very character building, while Dix Hills can be tough to gain that character, with so many people living above their means.

I was a mixed faith EM overachiever for sure, Catholic School is the way to go on Long Island for sure

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The Knights, we always played you on New Year's Eve in Hoops, got my first 2 points on that floor, in garbage time in 10th grade and had to wait until 1/2 to see my name in the paper

Gary McLain was a solid player that was on the Villanova championship team in 1985. When did you graduate from Uniondale?

Gary McLain didn't go to Uniondale. I played soccer. I scored my first goal against EM. Uniondale was good back then. Lost twice in county finals when I was there. I graduated in 77.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Bellmore in da house!! Whoop!! Whoop!!!

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Peaky Blinders is a phenomenal show and each season is only 6 episodes. The British always do a great job in creating amazing programs. Quality over Quantity

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Peaky Blinders is a phenomenal show and each season is only 6 episodes. The British always do a great job in creating amazing programs. Quality over Quantity

Great show, even when it hits a lull it's not for too long and bounces back quickly.

Reactions: Dutch Frost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad