Prospect Info: We picked 4 overagers

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
JC Lipon - 93 overlooked twice in the draft
Andrew Copp - 94 overlooked once
Tucker Poolman - 93 overlooked twice
Brendan Kichton - Drafted by the Islanders in 2011 and re-entered draft

Is it possible Zinger wants some prospects that are closer to being AHL ready? Or is this coincidence?

I can understand a guy like Copp, he had a pretty specific set of circumstances (played 2 sports among other things) that really didn't allow him to flourish.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's entirely possible, but it seems unlikely with Kichton. I'm fine with them being overagers, because most late-round picks never amount to anything in the NHL. Chevy took a calculated risk with them and they should be of great service to the IceCaps.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All I know for sure is based on history:

Winnipeg Jets use their 1st round selection on players who have improved SUBSTANTIALLY and are potential 1st round selections.

Scheifele, Trouba, Morrisey ALL had substantial elevations in draft stock in their draft year.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to get overagers who would be AHL ready and hope you strike gold.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I just find it odd that this happened, I'm pretty sure we didn't pick a single one in the first two years. It seems as though overagers (I don't know the correct term) are avoided.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Im good with these over age these picks.......you sign all 4 to average Elc deals .....they play for the Ice caps immeditely .........they give the jets Depth for the next three yrs as call ups as they are not waiver eligible..... and they probably have a hunch as to hitting a home run in one of them over the next three yrs ...... aka ( Burrows/T pearson);)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Copp and Poolman have 3 and 4 years of NCAA eligibility left. Don't think they'll be in the system for awhile. Kind of an extended development period and bet hedging before we have to decide on their viability as pros. Easier to decide if a guy is worth signing when that guy is 21-22-23 than 19.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It is a little odd, but definitely not bad considering how much of a flyer you're taking on a late pick anyway.

The AHL depth could definitely use a boost though and I wouldn't doubt if Zinger wasn't given a pick or two. Four total was just a coincidence in my opinion however.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Copp and Poolman have 3 and 4 years of NCAA eligibility left. Don't think they'll be in the system for awhile. Kind of an extended development period and bet hedging before we have to decide on their viability as pros. Easier to decide if a guy is worth signing when that guy is 21-22-23 than 19.

That's a very good point.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
You never know if they'll even make St. John's. They might find themselves on a flight to California. Off topic: has there ever been a team with more travel built into their farm system in all of professional sports?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
You never know if they'll even make St. John's. They might find themselves on a flight to California. Off topic: has there ever been a team with more travel built into their farm system in all of professional sports?

Lipon and Kitchon are both very ready for the Ice Caps in my opinion, I'd be pretty shocked if they weren't in the AHL immediately.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
California?

Isn't our ECHL affiliate the Ontario Reign?

Reminds me of an old Toronto Star commercial. "There's a Toronto where the Star isn't the the favourite newspaper. A Toronto where the Royals are the fovourite team, not the Blue Jays", etc, etc. It would drone on. The video scenery was a dusty little "one-horse-town" straight out of a western movie. At the very end, you see a signboard...

Welcome to
Toronto, Kansas
Population 310

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad