We need to give Kempe and the team time

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So those three borderline-trolling posts in the Kempe hat-trick GDT where you called out people who wanted Kempe sent down were what exactly?

Kempe has been inconsistent at EVERY level he's played at. It's not just the AHL. It's a constant critique of his game that has followed him since he was a teen, not some quickly-formed analysis by some mythical people who want him to fail.

So yeah, if you want to jump to sweeping conclusions and mock other posters based on a one-game sample size, be my guest, but expect to get called out on that logic when you selectively apply it, that's all. It's got a simple definition, actually: bias. Kempe apparently has to do very little to impress you, while Kopitar can be near 2 PPG and it's still well, I'm not sure, I'm not impressed.

Yes I will mock everyone everyday if they jump to conclusions, and since you avoided my Kopitar comment, gg ez.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes, and Frolik was drafted 10th overall, as well. 45 points is great value for a late first. I think most people generally agree with you that he has that and 20-25 goals as a peak--great, we found a complementary top-six winger with a late first. Sounds like Tanner Pearson, and I don't see anyone complaining about that?
Its fine indeed. Sometimes it just looks like people expect too much of him. Logical, he has good hands, speed and wrister, so call it a lack of hockey sense.

With 40-45 points seasons, you are not going to be on the scoreboard every night.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kempe has earned the #2c position after last night. If you promote a vanilla hockey player like Shore or Lewis into that slot we are fully back into the Sutter era. Guy scores a hat trick, Carter goes down, Kempe did what the Kings need him to do, it's his job now.
He's not ready for that responsibility. I think highly of the kid but making him 2c now is how you mess up his development. He scored three goals whilst playing sheltered minutes, but even then he's only put it together like that for one period of hockey.

We all hope he can develop into a top six player, but first he's got to be able to provide a consistent level of secondary scoring. Once he does that he can then take on a bigger role. I have no issue with accelerating his development but he needs more than a single period of hockey to show it's time for that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Than you have too low standards and points are goals and assists.

With 40-45 points you are not a big scorer.

Think Michael Frolik.

People just dont realize that Kempe is not a high profile point producer. I have said this from the beginning when I watched him in the SEL. He was a late 1st round pick for a reason.

20-25 goals will most likely his peak. His hattrick last night, was a big bonus, who knows he might reach that this season.

People rave about Iafallo (me too) but Kempe is 3 years younger. Where was Iafallo 3 seasons ago ?

Getting a regular NHLer, especially a peak 45 pt/season producer, for the 30th overall pick is actually really reslly good.

Heck, the 2003 draft is considered one of the deepest drafts in modern day history. Their 30th overall pick was Shawn Belle, who scored a point in 20 career NHL games.

Trevor Lewis' peak season is 25 points, and he's a good 3rd liner. Michael Grabner's peak is 52 points, which is good for a 2nd liner.

I mean, Toffoli's peak season so far is 58 points. He was 23 years old. Kempe turned 21 a month ago today.

I think you have unrealistic standards. No matter what the production turns out to be, Kempe needs time.

I cannot stress enough at the risk of sounding like a broken record, but Kempe is playing his style and is trying go adjust his game at the NHL level. He makes mistakes, but that's how you learn. That's why a player with Brodzinski's offensive ability is toiling in the AHL again while Kempe's staying at the higher level.

Reactions: KingTrouty

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I have always thought that Kempe would be a winger at the NHL level. I would like to see Pearson center the #2 line (his natural position) and put Kempe on the wing. Could work.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
When Kempe was drafted were the scouts and management projecting center, wing or wait and see? Seems to me the opinion has bounced back and forth.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Getting a regular NHLer, especially a peak 45 pt/season producer, for the 30th overall pick is actually really reslly good.

Heck, the 2003 draft is considered one of the deepest drafts in modern day history. Their 30th overall pick was Shawn Belle, who scored a point in 20 career NHL games.

Trevor Lewis' peak season is 25 points, and he's a good 3rd liner. Michael Grabner's peak is 52 points, which is good for a 2nd liner.

I mean, Toffoli's peak season so far is 58 points. He was 23 years old. Kempe turned 21 a month ago today.

I think you have unrealistic standards. No matter what the production turns out to be, Kempe needs time.

I cannot stress enough at the risk of sounding like a broken record, but Kempe is playing his style and is trying go adjust his game at the NHL level. He makes mistakes, but that's how you learn. That's why a player with Brodzinski's offensive ability is toiling in the AHL again while Kempe's staying at the higher level.
I think you didnt understand me at all.

Multiple times I have said that people need to set the bar low with Kempe and now I have unrealistic standards...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad