We need to give Kempe and the team time

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Pearson had success in the AHL and earn his spot on the big team. Kempe was given the spot and was critique by Stothers and Futa for production/effort even Kempe himself said he expects more from himself.

I want all our players to succeed, but I feel we are forcing a kid to play a position he is not the best at. Let alone giving him the time in the minors to adjust to the new position.
Well we all know under Sutter he would be back down by now and someone like Brooks Laich signed. Perhaps the league has changed enough that fast and lost has become better than slow and competent.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I thought I’d just bump this thread as it was quicker than typing a full reply in GDT.

I’m not pronouncing is a cup contenders but I think the team Is showing asking for a little patience was reasonable.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Man, I mean.. I thought the all knowing fans on this board said we need to send him down after five games.. They told me he was a bust. They must be right ;) lol.

There was a good amount of people not giving players time. Whether or not this is an anomaly. A lot of people are too quick to judge new rookies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Man, I mean.. I thought the all knowing fans on this board said we need to send him down after five games.. They told me he was a bust. They must be right ;) lol.

There was a good amount of people not giving players time. Whether or not this is an anomaly. A lot of people are too quick to judge new rookies.
One great performance doesn't guarantee consistency and thats what Kempe has always lacked fro whatever reason. Although, playing with another speedy player like Lewis seems to bode well for him. Maybe he needs players that can take defensive pressures off him but who can also match his speed somewhat. If he reverts back to his inconsistencies and struggles at the 1/4 mark then yes, he needs to be sent back down to put in more work...

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
One great performance doesn't guarantee consistency and thats what Kempe has always lacked fro whatever reason. Although, playing with another speedy player like Lewis seems to bode well for him. Maybe he needs players that can take defensive pressures off him but who can also match his speed somewhat. If he reverts back to his inconsistencies and struggles at the 1/4 mark then yes, he needs to be sent back down to put in more work...
Hence why I said I hope it isn't an anomaly. And even if it is, you have to give players more time before anyone says that they're broken and need to he sent down.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Hence why I said I hope it isn't an anomaly. And even if it is, you have to give players more time before anyone says that they're broken and need to he sent down.
I wouldn't say broken, I think Kempe's biggest problem is his inability to stay focused and engaged. I think he would be the type of player that would terrorize other lines if paired with say A.Wagner and T.Lewis.... or even T.Pearson and T.Lewis.. But back to your point, better he get sent down to work on his game than stay up, struggle, and lose confidence because then its a 50/50 proposition...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm glad he broke out last night offensively, though it should be noted that the goals he scored were a result of him finding himself open and his linemates finding him the puck. The point I'm getting at is that he used his instincts as a winger, which is the position he excels at, to net those goals. He used his natural speed of course on the breakaway goal, but he was setup and properly positioned for each of his goals.

What he has to work on is his consistency. I still don't view him as a center, but with Carter out of the mix, the team may have no other choice as of this moment.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
The question is whether those inconsistencies are better smoothed out playing at a lower level - AHL or the higher level - NHL. I think Kempe is better off staying in the NHL. The whole team, not just the young guys, need that push to prove they really can be a good (playoff contender) team. Patience now will make the team better in the long run.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yet you were one who saw fit to lecture about not being excited about Kopitar and Brown after one game. :P

I don't remember anyone calling him a bust, but if anything, this game was emblematic of the inconsistency that is the criticism of Kempe's game. One night he'll look like a world beater, the next five you'll just see a dude skating really fast but doing nothing of note. It's a positive sign and hopefully a step forward, but hey, we also thought that during his goal against the Ducks last year when he juked someone out of his skates before roofing it only to disappear for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The question is whether those inconsistencies are better smoothed out playing at a lower level - AHL or the higher level - NHL. I think Kempe is better off staying in the NHL. The whole team, not just the young guys, need that push to prove they really can be a good (playoff contender) team. Patience now will make the team better in the long run.

There will be growing pains for sure and that's fine. I think they've made the right player moves so far!

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Kempe will be fine, guys - he's an NHL-talent no doubt about it. That second goal speaks for itself - handling that puck, protecting that puck, denying the stick check, then pivoting to roof that shot close in while at top speed - you can't teach that. Which "box" he settles into in the lineup for the long-term is still to be determined. He's 21 years old for chrissakes.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Success or not in the AHL I don't care, any talented rookie doesnt deserve to be branded as not ready five games into the season. Nothing justifies some of the dumb shit I've read on here. He's played five games and people are ready to send him down instead of letting him adjust and try to improve.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yet you were one who saw fit to lecture about not being excited about Kopitar and Brown after one game. :P

I don't remember anyone calling him a bust, but if anything, this game was emblematic of the inconsistency that is the criticism of Kempe's game. One night he'll look like a world beater, the next five you'll just see a dude skating really fast but doing nothing of note. It's a positive sign and hopefully a step forward, but hey, we also thought that during his goal against the Ducks last year when he juked someone out of his skates before roofing it only to disappear for the rest of the year.

Because Kopitar had the worst season of his career last season, and I never said anything about brown since I have a soft spot for him. So you're mixing me up with someone else. And I never said Kopitar had busted, I said I hope he improves since he had a weak pre season. I don't like the false equivalency. I was doubtful of Kopitar because of his performance the entire year last year, and the preseason, how is that not justified?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Because Kopitar had the worst season of his career last season, and I never said anything about brown since I have a soft spot for him. So you're mixing me up with someone else. And I never said Kopitar had busted, I said I hope he improves since he had a weak pre season. I don't like the false equivalency. I was doubtful of Kopitar because of his performance the entire year last year, and the preseason, how is that not justified?

It's totally justified, just as it's totally justifiable to be skeptical of Kempe. You can't run around chest thumping on one hand that you were right about Kempe and mocking other posters (who has a history of inconsistency) based on one game while on the other hand pointing that Kopitar (who has a decade history of being a phenomenal player with one outlier) needs to re-prove himself! It's just a very blatant inconsistency in your criticisms of each player.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
People just dont realize that Kempe is not a high profile point producer. I have said this from the beginning when I watched him in the SEL. He was a late 1st round pick for a reason.

20-25 goals will most likely his peak. His hattrick last night, was a big bonus, who knows he might reach that this season.

People rave about Iafallo (me too) but Kempe is 3 years younger. Where was Iafallo 3 seasons ago ?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
20-25 goals for a late first rounder would f***ing outstanding production, especially for someone who might not be considered a "high profile point producer."

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kempe has never been a big scorer, at any level. People praise Iafallo because he puts pucks into scoring areas and creates opportunities. That’s what these young players need to do in order to make an impression and stay in the lineup. Something Brodzinski was not doing.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Kempe has earned the #2c position after last night. If you promote a vanilla hockey player like Shore or Lewis into that slot we are fully back into the Sutter era. Guy scores a hat trick, Carter goes down, Kempe did what the Kings need him to do, it's his job now.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Than you have too low standards and points are goals and assists.

With 40-45 points you are not a big scorer.

Think Michael Frolik.

Yes, and Frolik was drafted 10th overall, as well. 45 points is great value for a late first. I think most people generally agree with you that he has that and 20-25 goals as a peak--great, we found a complementary top-six winger with a late first. Sounds like Tanner Pearson, and I don't see anyone complaining about that?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
My point with the OP, which still stands, is that the performance of any player after 1 or 2 games isn't a concern, especially given the level of change that went on. Even after 6 games I wouldn't be writing anyone off and in general there have been plenty of positives. From game 1 I felt any evaluation had to wait until after the first road trip and I still think that. Hopefully Kempes games last night will mean people see he has the potential to be a decent NHL player and now back off some of the criticism. I agree there is much valid debate about his best position, right now his skill set seems to better fit the wing. Stevens, it seems, wants to work on him as a centre so long term it's tbc.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
People just dont realize that Kempe is not a high profile point producer. I have said this from the beginning when I watched him in the SEL. He was a late 1st round pick for a reason.

20-25 goals will most likely his peak. His hattrick last night, was a big bonus, who knows he might reach that this season.

People rave about Iafallo (me too) but Kempe is 3 years younger. Where was Iafallo 3 seasons ago ?
Matt Duchene is a career 25 goal scorer. Just say'n.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's totally justified, just as it's totally justifiable to be skeptical of Kempe. You can't run around chest thumping on one hand that you were right about Kempe and mocking other posters (who has a history of inconsistency) based on one game while on the other hand pointing that Kopitar (who has a decade history of being a phenomenal player with one outlier) needs to re-prove himself! It's just a very blatant inconsistency in your criticisms of each player.
To be honest, I can. Kopitar has been playing in the NHL for 13 years. Kempe just started his career in the NHL. I'm not chest thumping at all, just pointing out the foolishness of people taking a dump on Kempe 5 games into the season. And then bring up how he's inconsistent in the AHL like it's the NHL..? A lot of people took a dump on Pearson too but his stats in the AHL were good. So I'm curious is this actually about how they played in the AHL or is this more so about the fact that certain people are too quick to judge rookies. Because if it's about the AHL performance , please explain Pearson. Don't worry I got time.

A decade? I'm curious do all players never age when they've had over a decade in the NHL or does the NHL make players stay young and never age? Interesting, usually players as they tend to age get worse and worse. I find it a bit funny you fail to see his last season and his age not being a valid reason to project that Kopitar may be getting old.

Reach as much as you want, but you're never going to reach to a valid point.

And I'm not saying that Kempe will become really good nor bad, I'm saying it's pretty foolish to talk shit about a rookie five games into the season.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To be honest, I can. Kopitar has been playing in the NHL for 13 years. Kempe just started his career in the NHL. I'm not chest thumping at all, just pointing out the foolishness of people taking a dump on Kempe 5 games into the season. And then bring up how he's inconsistent in the AHL like it's the NHL..? A lot of people took a dump on Pearson too but his stats in the AHL were good. So I'm curious is this actually about how they played in the AHL or is this more so about the fact that certain people are too quick to judge rookies. Because if it's about the AHL performance , please explain Pearson. Don't worry I got time.

A decade? I'm curious do all players never age when they've had over a decade in the NHL or does the NHL make players stay young and never age? Interesting, usually players as they tend to age get worse and worse. I find it a bit funny you fail to see his last season and his age not being a valid reason to project that Kopitar may be getting old.

Reach as much as you want, but you're never going to reach to a valid point.

And I'm not saying that Kempe will become really good nor bad, I'm saying it's pretty foolish to talk **** about a rookie five games into the season.

So those three borderline-trolling posts in the Kempe hat-trick GDT where you called out people who wanted Kempe sent down were what exactly?

Kempe has been inconsistent at EVERY level he's played at. It's not just the AHL. It's a constant critique of his game that has followed him since he was a teen, not some quickly-formed analysis by some mythical people who want him to fail.

So yeah, if you want to jump to sweeping conclusions and mock other posters based on a one-game sample size, be my guest, but expect to get called out on that logic when you selectively apply it, that's all. It's got a simple definition, actually: bias. Kempe apparently has to do very little to impress you, while Kopitar can be near 2 PPG and it's still well, I'm not sure, I'm not impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->