We have a new Sens CEO!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
From someone I know who works for the Sens...directly after the meeting with Melnyk today.

The new CEO for the team is... EUGENE MELNYK!

He's taking over the position for the remainder of the season and will bring in a new person for next year.

If I couldn't laugh at this team I would be so sad. He's running the organization so deep into the ground.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is an absolute joke. I wonder how the local media will spin this as a good thing? TSN1200 is already in the planning stages of how they will dodge this subject for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lol, this is giving me Dwight flashbacks from The Office.

...except that was a comedy series and Dwight is a fictional character. Smh, lol.

Reactions: lancepitlick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This season has been a treat for a whole different variety of reasons, it's pure comedy.

Just waiting for the next exodus

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I find it amazing that he picked the one person who is the most out of touch with the Sens fanbase...himself.

I mean, it's not exactly reasonable to assume that he'd hire a full-time replacement right away, but the fact that there's no one to promote from within on an interim basis is also staggeringly alarming.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
As much as it annoys ppl that we're in this predicament, it makes sense to do this. First off, the season is pretty much lost. There's a couple months to go moving forward but there's no playoff drive to prepare for. They probably already have strategies in place to cover most of the games remaining. I think he's mostly just gonna be a CEO in name, relied upon only when absolutely necessary while he looks for a suitable replacement. Second, one can only hope he actually learns the challenges behind this role in the Ottawa market and then hires a more suitable replacement.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Whew ,,, excellent news.. The closer he is to anything resembling running the team, the better I feel. I especially like it when he and Dorion are drilling down the plan(s) to rebuild/retool

Reactions: Alex1234

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
As much as it annoys ppl that we're in this predicament, it makes sense to do this. First off, the season is pretty much lost. There's a couple months to go moving forward but there's no playoff drive to prepare for. They probably already have strategies in place to cover most of the games remaining. I think he's mostly just gonna be a CEO in name, relied upon only when absolutely necessary while he looks for a suitable replacement. Second, one can only hope he actually learns the challenges behind this role in the Ottawa market and then hires a more suitable replacement.

But the optics of this decision are just so bad. I get what you're saying, but even if what you're saying is true, they would have been better off leaving the position vacant rather than have him assume the role.

Where the hell is that Toronto PR firm? They've already dropped the damn ball.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Purrrfect.

The guy who’s single handedly rubies his own brand is now in charge of his own brand.

This feels like it’s got American Apperal written all over it.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
But the optics of this decision are just so bad. I get what you're saying, but even if what you're saying is true, they would have been better off leaving the position vacant rather than have him assume the role.

Optics are already at an all-time low. I think it's slightly worse if there's no CEO for a big portion of the season. Then we'd hear so much about how 'the team won't even hire a new president or ceo' for months till we finally do. Actually we probably still will lol

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
But seriously though.

How much would the CEO of the Senators make normally?

250k? 300k?

I would guess more. Probably in the $750K to $1M range.

Alfredsson made $400K for his poster boy front office position the last couple years, but he may have been paid more due to who he is. I figure that a GM would be double that, at least, and a GM and CEO are probably around equal salary?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I would guess more. Probably in the $750K to $1M range.

Alfredsson made $400K for his poster boy front office position the last couple years, but he may have been paid more due to who he is. I figure that a GM would be double that, at least, and a GM and CEO are probably around equal salary?

TIL.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As long as EM does daily press briefings, I am all in favour of this move.

As others have pointed out, this is starting to look an awful lot like an episode of The Office. Please allow cameras into the building to follow him around. Please.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer

Pretty sure the specifics here (EM is doing the job for the rest of the season) were a leak, not a press statement.

He probably is leaving the position vacant and, just like HRHM said, if you need something from a CEO/President, come to him. Happens all the time when a position is vacant.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
And....in a bold move, everyone working for the Senators organization has simultaneously quit. Melnyk then indicates that he chose to replace the staff with those super smart, helper monkeys......you know, like in the planet of the apes.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad