GDT: We got this, the Caps are Dun and don!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
my mom and sister (hahaha!) both went to the University of South Carolina. Those jokes got so ****ing old. But im just a wet blanket.... (no pun intended)

And honestly 10 years without playoffs would make anyone find their sense of humor.

"Our Cocks stand up in the face of Adversity" is a shirt I've seen before.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Reading the Caps GDT... how does anyone think a partial mid-air deflection that doesn't even move in the direction the player is swinging his stick constitutes possession? There have been some other questionable non-blown whistles, but that was about as clear as it gets for no possession. Then it was "THERE WASN'T EVEN AN ASSIST ON THE GOAL".... Sooo maybe it wasn't that it was a blown call, but the officially scoring was wrong? Whatever, sour grapes. Hope we benefit from a really bad call tonight.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Reading the Caps GDT... how does anyone think a partial mid-air deflection that doesn't even move in the direction the player is swinging his stick constitutes possession? There have been some other questionable non-blown whistles, but that was about as clear as it gets for no possession. Then it was "THERE WASN'T EVEN AN ASSIST ON THE GOAL".... Sooo maybe it wasn't that it was a blown call, but the officially scoring was wrong? Whatever, sour grapes. Hope we benefit from a really bad call tonight.

It's a fair thing to be frustrated by. We would have felt the same way.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

It’s a grey area for sure. I’ve seen less blown down for possession before. One contention I read from Trotz was that if he knocks it out of play it’s delay of game, so how can it not be possession. It’s a reasonable argument but I think the better argument is what if he baseball bats it into the net on the other end of the ice? There’s no way that should be a goal, right?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
It's a fair thing to be frustrated by. We would have felt the same way.

In past seasons? Absolutely. But they've made a point this year to not be so quick to blow it dead, which we've benefited from on 2 occasions so far, I believe. Buuuut....

It’s a grey area for sure. I’ve seen less blown down for possession before. One contention I read from Trotz was that if he knocks it out of play it’s delay of game, so how can it not be possession. It’s a reasonable argument but I think the better argument is what if he baseball bats it into the net on the other end of the ice? There’s no way that should be a goal, right?

These are very valid points. My counter to that is you have to get pretty decent wood on the puck to send it over the glass or down the length of the ice. Orpik's was a weak deflection. While there certainly is gray (you damn limey) area, I think they pretty clearly got this one right.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Obviously when the rules demand "possession" it is intentionally meant to be different from merely touching the puck. Possession means being in control of the pucks movements*, not any haphazard bounches going the player's team's way.

* They wouldn't have happened to define 'possession' in the rulebook?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In past seasons? Absolutely. But they've made a point this year to not be so quick to blow it dead, which we've benefited from on 2 occasions so far, I believe. Buuuut....

These are very valid points. My counter to that is you have to get pretty decent wood on the puck to send it over the glass or down the length of the ice. Orpik's was a weak deflection. While there certainly is gray (you damn limey) area, I think they pretty clearly got this one right.

Lol, I wrote gray first and questioned if it was right or not.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Obviously when the rules demand "possession" it is intentionally meant to be different from merely touching the puck. Possession means being in control of the pucks movements*, not any haphazard bounches going the player's team's way.

* They wouldn't have happened to define 'possession' in the rulebook?

There's a document out there called the 'official rule interpretations for referees' or somesuch that the referees get every year, and that's where terms like possession are defined with examples. I've seen it pop up in the past, but I don't think the NHL intentionally makes it available to the public. That's where you get visibly injured=blood for high sticking calls and things like that as well. In the past, the NHL has used possession=touch to have a very black and white standard on this rule, but it did kill a lot of chances where a defending player would brush the puck without actually being able to control it, so they tweaked the interpretation to come closer to the original intent at the expense of a little bit of objective clarity. You don't sacrifice much clarity, though, the whining is just sour grapes. It's not really a hard standard to figure out. As for Trotz's contention, if it deflects out off of Orpik's stick it's not supposed to be a delay of game, since that isn't considered to be possession. Pucks deflecting out of play off defensemen happens all the damn time without penalties getting called- Trotz is full of shit on that one.

And it has gone against us as well, there have been a couple instances where other teams have gotten very good chances after we touched pucks without getting possession, though I don't remember if any have turned into goals. Given the nature of some of our games this season, I'm sure it's happened. I'm not bothered by it at all, the change makes the game a lot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad