WE DID IT BOYS WE'RE IN

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Noted NHL authority and play-by-play extrordinaire Joe Buck putatively just said that his uncited anonymous NHL player source told him that if the NHL comes back it's 1 week of training camp and then straight into playoffs.

Barring "only 12 team playoffs" or somesuch nonsense WE DID IT WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN

Points percentage:

Islanders .588
Bruins .714

CandyCanes .596
Craps .652

Leafs vs Lightning, Pittsburgh vs Flyers, Flames vs Blues, Preds vs Golden Knights, Stars vs Avalanche, Nucks vs Oilers

*= Nucks and Preds both finished with 78 points in 69 games. Preds have the regulation win total tiebreaker 28 vs 27

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'd like this to be true, but IDK, if things are still locked down in late May I don't see it happening. Maybe you do it in June/July, if the arenas can keep the ice in shape, and then cut next season down to say 64 games and push it back to mid-November.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I saw something on twitter saying the NHL was considering a four team playoff. I can't see anything else remotely possible if the following season being an 82 game season a goal. There just isn't time in the schedule to for anything more than that if you take the pandemic mitigation strategies and timelines seriously. There is a reason the Olympics are being cancelled when they start at the end of July.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I saw something on twitter saying the NHL was considering a four team playoff. I can't see anything else remotely possible if the following season being an 82 game season a goal. There just isn't time in the schedule to for anything more than that if you take the pandemic mitigation strategies and timelines seriously. There is a reason the Olympics are being cancelled when they start at the end of July.

Would rather cut number of games than number of teams. Go to 3 game series for the 1st round and 5 for the second.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Would rather cut number of games than number of teams. Go to 3 game series for the 1st round and 5 for the second.
The league's goals are to award a Cup and to keep next year at 82 games, per sources. If that is the case, and we assume that governments are going to keep the "shelter in place" orders in place for 3 months as most medical and science guidelines suggest are necessary, that would put us in mid-June, with a period of time needed afterward to see if there is any rebound infections...let's say a month. That leaves the earliest start of the playoffs in mid-July. The normal playoffs where every round is 7 games is 3 months. Assuming you are only reducing the 1st and 2nd rounds by your lack of including the 3rd and fourth rounds, you are reducing the total number of games by only 22 percent. So instead of 3 months for the playoffs, you are going to get 2 months and a week. If that is the case, then starting in mid-July awards a Cup just before the start of the season. Almost no training camp for the cup finalist players. Some of which will need to now go to new teams. And what about the draft? The playoffs determine the order of the draft to some extent, when do we hold that?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
3-3-5-7

Rounds 1 and 2: 6 days each, 12 days
Round 3: 10 days
Cup Finals: 14 days

36 days, 5 weeks or 1 month + 5-6 days

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
CHL just cancelled the playoffs and the Memorial Cup. The Olympics in July are already cancelled per sources. The NHL is going to cancel the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
CHL just cancelled the playoffs and the Memorial Cup. The Olympics in July are already cancelled per sources. The NHL is going to cancel the Stanley Cup.

First, I agree.

Second, here is the rub: per the CBA player salaries are directly tied to 50% of HRR revenue of a given year. Playoffs are a massive source of revenue for the League, which means a year sans playoffs equals a drastic drop in HRR which directly coorelates to a drastic drop in player salaries via escrow- money that is docked from each player's paycheck and held until the revenues of each year are calculated and then distributed to ensure the equitable 50/50 split of HRR.

This is why the players REALLY want the playoffs to be played.

On the other end of the spectrum (heh) you have NBC and Rogers, who paid an arm and a leg for content and, near as I can tell, aren't going to get reimbursal checks when their flagship programs go up in smoke.

Again, I agree they're probably going to cancel the entire thing because all evidence indicates we're in this for the long haul, I'm merely pointing out it is in the direct interest of all parties involved that the playoffs be played and that they are as extensive and inclusive as possible, circumstance permitting.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
First, I agree.

Second, here is the rub: per the CBA player salaries are directly tied to 50% of HRR revenue of a given year. Playoffs are a massive source of revenue for the League, which means a year sans playoffs equals a drastic drop in HRR which directly coorelates to a drastic drop in player salaries via escrow- money that is docked from each player's paycheck and held until the revenues of each year are calculated and then distributed to ensure the equitable 50/50 split of HRR.

This is why the players REALLY want the playoffs to be played.

On the other end of the spectrum (heh) you have NBC and Rogers, who paid an arm and a leg for content and, near as I can tell, aren't going to get reimbursal checks when their flagship programs go up in smoke.

Again, I agree they're probably going to cancel the entire thing because all evidence indicates we're in this for the long haul, I'm merely pointing out it is in the direct interest of all parties involved that the playoffs be played and that they are as extensive and inclusive as possible, circumstance permitting.

Yeah, I'm aware of the revenue streams and how important they are. This is one reason I see the the playoffs WILL be cancelled. The playoffs bring in a lot of revenues to the league and the teams. If we went to anything close to a normal number of playoff series and games, there is a very good chance that this would require some rounds, if not all rounds, to be played in empty stadiums due to health concerns. This makes the games a revenue negative for the teams involved. Given how many teams count on the playoffs to have a positive revenue stream for the year, which teams are going to voluntarily handover more money just to award the cup? I think the owners will see the writing on the wall and force the commissioner to cancel the playoffs instead of playing at a loss.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yeah I always thought once they decided to cancel games, the playoffs were pretty much a goner.

I doubt 2020-2021 starts on time as well.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
@MinJaBen

I don't think it's that big of a loss to host a hockey game vs. a stagnant arena

Care to define what you think the costs to each team are for all the personel, facilities being ready, transportation and equipment for one game? I have no idea myself, but I'd imagine we are talking around $100K if you take all the fan costs out of the game (parking, concessions, etc.).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean thats cool and all, but until I see otherwise I'm of the opinion that the season is done. There's simply no way to please everyone with a playoff format when there's still 3 weeks of games left to play, and even when the virus finally starts to die off, it's still going to be lingering in places. Can they afford to take chances? I don't think they can.

It is what it is. Frankly I'm just ready for this damn thing to go away, or at least get under control since that would be the first step to killing the shit. Do that and we'll see what happens.

Sorry for being the negative Nancy.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My bet is that we see some locked down sports in some empty arenas within the next six weeks or so. By then it shouldn't be hard to test players and keep them isolated, and we're gonna need some circus to go with our bread.
I doubt it. One player or coach on any team getting sick completely blows any model where games are played out of the water.

If this thing really won't be under control until we have a vaccine, and that won't happen for 18 months, I have a difficult time seeing how any live sports are played before 2022.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Reasons the Hurricanes missed the playoffs this year:
  • Played Brett Bellemore as a top 4 D
  • John Grahame
  • Joni Pitkanen's leg destroyed in a random icing play
  • Coach physically abusing players
  • Scott Darling allows goal from Zibanejad from center ice
  • Chad LaRose playing on the first line
  • That year we had to play Tomas Kurka, Craig MacDonald, Damian Surma, Mike Watt, Brad DeFauw, and Patrick DesRochers due to injuries

• Canes lose both top goalies and are forced to play the Zamboni driver ... ah, wait a minute
  • Global pandemic ends all sports

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Reasons the Hurricanes missed the playoffs this year:
  • Canes lose both top goalies and are forced to play the Zamboni driver ... ah, wait a minute
  • Global pandemic ends all sports

When you put it like this it feels like the hockey gods really didn't want us to make it this year.

"Playoffs? But how can you go to playoffs when your both goalies are now injured."

"... motherf***er...!"

"But how can you go to playoffs when there are no playoffs."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad