"We did a ****ing great job." - Jonathan Toews

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Welcome to North America...where the rise of the religious right means that bad language or, worse, nudity, are FAR bigger sins on TV than gunplay and murder.
It's ridicilous when you just let it glimpse through your mind and sickening when you really think about it.

OT: As an example, I think the farse with the TV game GTA - San Andreas was pretty hysterical. You run around shooting people, committing tons of quite illegal acts, but god forbid that someone finds out a way to unlock a scene where two computer animated characters pretend to have sex with eachother.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
The gaffe in the post game interview wasn't very impressive, but I guess you can understand due to the emotion...

Toews didn't impress me at all when he yelled out "Going to the f***ing finals boys!" DURING the playing of our anthem after the semi-final against the USA. I'm no wilting violet or anything but have some respect. Virtually everyone I know has the sense to either sing along with the anthem or keep their mouth shut. When you put on that leaf you represent this country. That means the whole country, not just the fans of hockey or beer fueled men with broad vocabularies. I'm sure Toews will hear it from his grandparents and parents...although you have to wonder considering the cavalier way he tossed the language around.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
The gaffe in the post game interview wasn't very impressive, but I guess you can understand due to the emotion...

Toews didn't impress me at all when he yelled out "Going to the f***ing finals boys!" DURING the playing of our anthem after the semi-final against the USA. I'm no wilting violet or anything but have some respect. Virtually everyone I know has the sense to either sing along with the anthem or keep their mouth shut. When you put on that leaf you represent this country. That means the whole country, not just the fans of hockey or beer fueled men with broad vocabularies. I'm sure Toews will hear it from his grandparents and parents...although you have to wonder considering the cavalier way he tossed the language around.

I guess you guys want robots playing for you then?

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I guess you guys want robots playing for you then?

The attitude expressed on this board by a lot of people probably reflects some generational differences. I don't want robots, just some respect for the country these boys represent. There are a lot of people past and present who lay down their lives for this county. Is it too much to ask for some respect during the anthem? I don't think so.

littleD

Have you ever heard/seen hockey players talk? They swear - a lot. The semi-final anthem was super emotional, and more than one player was hooting, hollering, and yes, swearing.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

Give me a fu**ing break! Have you ever played hockey? Becaus walk into any dressing room from Pee Wee to Pro and you will hear nothing but cursing. There s nothing at all malicious about it, it is just the way it is. Sometimes, especially when emotions are running high, it is hard to flick that switch and remember that your not in the dressing room, or on the ice any more. All I have ever heard about Toews is people raving not only about his leadership, but about what a good kid he is. If you want to hold this against him, so be it, but IMO you are being extremely naive.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
lol, i was watching it with some friends and i laughed but no one else did. i though he had said it, but since none of my friends said anything, i figured i had misheard.

melubsdonna

Aug 23, 2005
I think the funniest part is that Towes acted like nothing happened and the interviewer also acted like nothing happened. It was never mentioned by anyone so it made me think that I misheard. But I guess it was acceptable enough?

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
If anyone but a Canadien said this they would never hear the end of it.

FUNNIEST THING I HAVE SEEN IN A WHILE THOUGH.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Yeah I was waiting for some one to say something about it. Maybe even Bob McKenzie just laughing it off afterwords but no one did and I laughed.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Why is this thread worthy? It happens EVERY year.

A junior hockey player uttering an expletive...there's something new.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Give me a fu**ing break! Have you ever played hockey? Becaus walk into any dressing room from Pee Wee to Pro and you will hear nothing but cursing. There s nothing at all malicious about it, it is just the way it is. Sometimes, especially when emotions are running high, it is hard to flick that switch and remember that your not in the dressing room, or on the ice any more. All I have ever heard about Toews is people raving not only about his leadership, but about what a good kid he is. If you want to hold this against him, so be it, but IMO you are being extremely naive.

I think you have selective reading. I said I'm no stranger to swearing. It's pretty presumptuous of you to think I'm niave about language in locker rooms. I just think it shows a lack of maturity to do it while cameras are on. Read my post again. I don't like ANY talking/hooting or what have you during the anthem, swearing or not. Maybe I'm old or something (25 shouldn't be that old). I think most older folks would take offense to the language IN THAT CONTEXT.

Having watched both the semi-finals and the finals the players managed to channel their emotions without swearing or "over"hooting during the anthem after the gold medal game, but did not during the semis. I imagine their coaches gave them a slight message to remember that cameras and sound are on them during the anthem. Why does that matter? Because they AREN'T just representing hockey fans and hockey culture, they're representing the nation. So I guess that would make Hartsburg niave too?

The_Hockey_Guy18

Dec 27, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Okay, for one thing, I'm assuming you've never been to the WJ's, and I'm pretty sure no one else on this board has either, myself included. After winning that game against the US, there was probably a pretty uncontrollable emotional rush. So what if they sweared or cheered during the anthem, they just won a game against their archrivals in a shootout. I don't care who you are, you'd be going on like that too. And another thing, the reason they never hooted during the anthem in the finals, is that it is kind of a tradition for the team to stand ont he blueline and sing it together. I'm sure Hatsburg didn't say a thing.

dubya

Sep 13, 2005
Edmonton
I can't believe people are getting on the poster above for suggesting that one should be silent or sing during the anthem. Yah, their kids and they were excited. All is forgiven.

But the anthem (all anthems, for that matter) is/are bigger than that, and anyone of any age should know to show some ****ing respect. Errr, show some respect.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
MAXIM LAPIERRE??

Perhaps I need to re-iterate.
Smyth cannot skate; he looks like he's got a popsicle stick shoved up his *** when he tries to move down the ice. He has cement hands; how many times has he been beaten by the shear size of the net while 1-on-1 with the goalie?! He has no defensive awareness other than "get off the ice so the other, better, 'Smith' can get on the ice... but wait until it's too late" (ie. the +3 rating).
The only thing he has is a beaten up face and bruised shins from pucks deflecting off him infront of the net.
I've watched this guy at the past 64 IIHF WHC and every freaking time, though it's noble he choses to show up, I shake my head. He's an embarassment to Team Canada. Ask Jiri Fischer about that one.

You are a complete idiot. 30 gms would love to have Smitty on their team. He is a free agent this summer and will be a very much desired addition to many suitors.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I've watched this guy at the past 64 IIHF WHC and every freaking time, though it's noble he choses to show up, I shake my head. He's an embarassment to Team Canada.

Dude I pity you .... you are an embarassment to these boards . :shakehead

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
on TSN's 4:30pm (MT) show they were doing interviews, I believe Cogliano (or Price) was doing his when someone in the background dropped a F-Bomb

ya i saw that too it was Downie who dropped the F-Bomb in the background.

Crosby87.*

I can't believe people are getting on the poster above for suggesting that one should be silent or sing during the anthem. Yah, their kids and they were excited. All is forgiven.

But the anthem (all anthems, for that matter) is/are bigger than that, and anyone of any age should know to show some ****ing respect. Errr, show some respect.

Good ****ing po... Good post :) I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad