Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At the end of the day, it's a penalty. We can argue semantics on it being called a Charging penalty, but it's still a pretty obvious call using Interference, Elbowing, Hit to the head, a number of other names. You can't just jump into a hit, or if you're going to do it, make it less obvious.

It wasn't a penalty.

And it isn't interference to brace yourself to be hit when you're an eligible target. What absolute nonsense.

Of the borderline hits in this series (by either team), that isn't even in the top 50 in terms of 'should be a penalty'.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
At the end of the day, it's a penalty. We can argue semantics on it being called a Charging penalty, but it's still a pretty obvious call using Interference, Elbowing, Hit to the head, a number of other names. You can't just jump into a hit, or if you're going to do it, make it less obvious.
yikes, this is getting worse. There is no elbow, there is no interference unless you think Petey needs to move out of Foegeles way… there might be some head contact because Foegele runs into him.

https://youtu.be/tVQziID6KaU?si=O6TbYxWIXAdQC3rD

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It wasn't a penalty.

And it isn't interference to brace yourself to be hit when you're an eligible target. What absolute nonsense.

Of the borderline hits in this series (by either team), that isn't even in the top 50 in terms of 'should be a penalty'.

Clearly it was ;)

Just like you can't stick your elbow out to brace yourself, you can't jump into the hit so you contact them up high. It's not something you see often, but I can see why they were quick to call it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Clearly it was ;)

Just like you can't stick your elbow out to brace yourself, you can't jump into the hit so you contact them up high. It's not something you see often, but I can see why they were quick to call it.

He didn't hit him high. There was nothing there could would qualify as a 'hit to the head' penalty.

98% of neutrals, former NHL refs, virtually every TV commentator thinks this was a terrible call. But of course Oiler fans disagree.

Again : not a penalty by how the rule is written, not a penalty by how the rule has ever been interpreted. And this goes doubly so in a 2-2 playoff game where countless hits in the series have been far more penalty-worthy.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Edmonton will have to pay the refs more if they want to win Game 6 - Game 5 was one of the worst reffed games I've ever seen.

Wait, what are the Oilers fans' complaint about officiating?

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

Made a poll, might make sense to declutter this thread from the topic anyways.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
He didn't hit him high. There was nothing there could would qualify as a 'hit to the head' penalty.

98% of neutrals, former NHL refs, virtually every TV commentator thinks this was a terrible call. But of course Oiler fans disagree.

Again : not a penalty by how the rule is written, not a penalty by how the rule has ever been interpreted. And this goes doubly so in a 2-2 playoff game where countless hits in the series have been far more penalty-worthy.

Tim "It wasn't much but I wanted to get something" Peel thinks it was a good call, from a former ref perspective. I'm not sure if that works for or against the debate.

Why is everyone so up in arms over this call? He jumped into a reverse hit instead of doing the normal thing that 99% of players would have done. He got a penalty for it. Nobody scored on the PP, Vancouver won the game.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I’m not looking to “win”. I am stating why I understand the call and think it was deserved.

Counterpoint, show me all the charging penalties and that this has never happened. You rightfully wont, it’s a waste of time as would it be for me to look through every charge to find an exact instance to this. Your asking for something I and no other person would do.

I’ve already addressed the “skating into” point you are trying to make. You can skate into a player, you cannot jump into them. He meant to hit the player and he jumped, I’ve said this multiple times yet keep getting mid-quoted.
No he didnt mean to hit the player, he meant to protect and brace himself against a hit. Didnt even look like a typical reverse hit where you move into the hitter. But i mean you call this but let go of so many other legit penalties is dumb. Again, this should not have been a penalty. By this sandards, they would have a million penalties in this series by now for every jump or fart a player makes.

Reactions: bcbill

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
No he didnt mean to hit the player, he meant to protect and brace himself against a hit. Didnt even look like a typical reverse hit where you move into the hitter. But i mean you call this but let go of so many other legit penalties is dumb. Again, this should not have been a penalty. By this sandards, they would have a million penalties in this series by now for every jump or fart a player makes.
I’ve gone to the poll thread ahould you want to discuss further

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

There have been questionable calls both ways. The problem with reffing in the NHL is that it is so subjective. There are so many unwritten rules about it. Sometimes a call is a call. Sometimes it is a makeup call. Sometimes it's an evening up call. There are nuances all over it too.

I don't understand this narrative that refs are favoring the Oilers. That would be a first. I'm not going to nitpick any specific calls because it's just a wild rabbit hole to get into

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He stays on his feet and leans in for a nice reverse hit and he's perfectly fine, Foegele still goes tumbling, and everyone on here can quit all the whining about the penalty for a little while.

You can certainly tell who won the game last night just by doing a scan of who is posting. You wouldn't be showing your face in here for 2 days had they lost.
Outside of the regulars that’s been the case for both fan bases after a loss

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Nah I've acknowledged it plenty over the course of the series. My comment was mostly targeted at the worst offender in here. Plenty of good folks to talk hockey with.
They are plenty of offenders on the other side of the spectrum. You would be better off applying what you originally wrote to both sides.

Anyway enough about fanbases. That doesn't turn well.

Tomorrow will be exciting.

Outside of the regulars that’s been the case for both fan bases after a loss
Exactly.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
They are plenty of offenders on the other side of the spectrum. You would be better off applying what you originally wrote to both sides.

Anyway enough about fanbases. That doesn't turn well.

Tomorrow will be exciting.

Exactly.

Don't worry I'll be here to chide them after game 6 when this series gets pushed to it's inevitable game 7 ;)

• Wow
Reactions: stampedingviking

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Bouchard's reaction on the ice for that last minute Game winner by Miller

dumb-huh-gif.872386

McDavid leaves his man to stand in no man's land.

Hyman stood by the blueline hoping for a possession change and a chance to score game winner the other way, then was late to the play when he realizes Oilers couldn't win the puck.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
McDavid leaves his man to stand in no man's land.

Hyman stood by the blueline hoping for a possession change and a chance to score game winner the other way, then was late to the play when he realizes Oilers couldn't win the puck.
Doesnt change the fact that Bouchard would still have the same reaction 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad