Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
I don’t agree with the former ref. And you don’t agree with the current one that made the call. Get off your high horse lol.
Oh yes, because the current ref that has no ability to review the play but called it from 100+ feet away is the logical one.

Just like the 4 officials that missed the high stick on Hyman and Hughes (which cut him) in the same game… I also don’t agree with them.

Telling me to get off my high horse after you blankly just state you don’t agree a former official who had the ability to watch the play multiple times… ironic.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
What comes after playoffs? I know regular season doesn’t matter, and playoffs don’t matter because we still haven’t seen the oilers at their best. When will we finally play meaningful games against Edmonton? It’s boring being 7-2 against them :/
Our real rivals are Avs and Dallas. Canucks are too good to be Oilers rival, reminds me of when Sedins used to own them. Oilers should play against rivals that are a bit in their own level like Flames or Ducks

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I would suggest to you, that at any point in his career, Dan Cloutier could step in and do what Silovs is doing.

As someone who had to experience Cloutier in numerous playoff series, I'd argue that no, he couldn't. Dude was easily rattled, injury prone and not a particularly great goaltender. Could he steal a game? Sure.

Could he step in for 2+ series? Absolutely not.

You're talking at some imaginary Oilers fan. I hate the Oilers.

Why do you think I brought up Kiprusoff? lmao

I was only suggesting, if McDavid was playing hurt enough to hamper him, it's a bigger impact, because goalies are voodoo.

I would agree with you there, that the 'best player in the world' being injured would hurt a team's chances, but having your team's starter out would still affect that team's chances.

You being dismissive and not really disproving the theory you're Ken Holland with 'goalies are voodoo' (joking, in case this isn't obvious) doesn't change the fact that a team's starter being out hurts the team.

Even the supposed bonafide star number 1s, the select few, Demko, Shesty, Vasy, Hellebuyck, I wouldn't bet on a team based on them being the starter.

No one was saying that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, you're qualifying your statement now.

I'm sure if we opened up a time capsule from 2009 you wouldn't have been worried at all if McElhiney was suiting up over Kipper.
No. No, actually, I'm repeating what I said.
In 1 game, or a series, I wouldn't have cared. And if the Flames were playing the penguins but Crosby couldn't buttonhook because his leg was f***ed, I would count that as a bigger disadvantage than McBackup.
I wouldn't be offering McElhiney a contract over Kipper, but I wouldn't be sweating a small run of games.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Telling me to get off my high horse after you blankly just state you don’t agree a former official who had the ability to watch the play multiple times… ironic.
You blankly disagree with the current one kiddo. It’s just that the former holds your view and therefore everything else is invalid in your mind.

I have given my reasons as to why I don’t agree and you state that you won’t read it because I don’t agree with peel. Likely you did read it and don’t have a rebuttal so you pouted and tried to “call me out” or whatever it is you were trying to do. I’m not gonna debate with somebody that refuses to read why they hold their position. Have fun pouting!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
He started 60 games in 04, posted a .914 and backstopped them to the playoffs. Are you telling me he couldn't possibly do that in a 7 game series if randomly inserted somewhere in time?

Yes. It's one thing to look at a statline and go 'hey, that's pretty good' and another to have actually watched the games.

Cloutier showed time and time again he did not have the mental capacity to handle the pressures of a playoff series.

Whether it was a brainfart and letting in a goal from center ice that sunk the team, turning into a pumpkin against the Wild, getting injured (again!) and going down against the Flames, pretty much every series he was in outside of one with the Avs he was the issue.

The only series the Canucks won with him as starter was against an absolutely decimated flu-ravaged St. Louis team. Even accounting for changes in the game over 20 years, Evander Kane and Nugent-Hopkins, nevermind McDavid and Drai, would've feasted on Cloutier.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Tocchet finally putting Petersson with some more skill scared me going into the game and once I saw it I knew we'd be in trouble.

Generally we've been out playing Vancouver 5 on 5, but once they now had three lines going it was a disaster for a team that generally has had only a couple lines going. Then when our 4th line finally steps up the top line steps down :laugh:
It's pretty wild to see 2 4th line goals this game.

Honestly at ES at times it felt like a bit of a vanishing Act when McDavid was on the ice at ES.

There was of course som great shifts by McDavid could have been tired from playing so much time the previous games.

1 point in 3 games I will not be shocked if he we see a 3 or 4 unstoppable night on Saturday from him.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He started 60 games in 04, posted a .914 and backstopped them to the playoffs. Are you telling me he couldn't possibly do that in a 7 game series if randomly inserted somewhere in time?

Cloutier career playoff. 25 GP 3.31 GAA 0.872 SVG.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Either the Canucks take it in 6 or the Oilers take it 7. SHould be an entertaining end to the series regardless

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What world are you living in? The crowd in Vancouver literally chanting 'Let's go Petey!'. Everyone wants him to succeed and sees his struggles. Don't let a couple of vocal dweebs represent what the fanbase thinks of Pettersson.

Marner is the opposite. The Leafs had had way more kicks at the can and Marner's post season struggles have become a trend and a huge portion of Leaf nation want his ass traded.

You couldn't be more backwards in your assessment.

Not to mention a struggling Pettersson. Canucks aren't the same team without their 100 pt 2 way beast struggling to even produce shots on goal (he was excellent in game 5).

You're right it goes both ways - end of the day all that matters is winning; the excuses always take a back seat for the losing team.
Depends on where you look, in the arena people still cheer for him

Online though, people weee vicious
Many actually wanted to healthy scratch him

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Depends on where you look, in the arena people still cheer for him

Online though, people weee vicious
Many actually wanted to healthy scratch him

Online is just the vocal 1%. No one should listen to anyone spewing nonsense online

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
No. No, actually, I'm repeating what I said.
In 1 game,

More qualifiers.

or a series, I wouldn't have cared. And if the Flames were playing the penguins but Crosby couldn't buttonhook because his leg was f***ed, I would count that as a bigger disadvantage than McBackup.

I dunno. A Flames team without Kipper would be seriously up the creek without a paddle. Pittsburgh would still have answers with guys like Malkin and whoever else.

I wouldn't be offering McElhiney a contract over Kipper, but I wouldn't be sweating a small run of games.

That's sorta what I was getting at. Roster construction matters and your good players being injured affects your team, whether it's McDavid or Demko. I know you're not an Oilers fan, but you decided to insert yourself into this conversation where I said that the Oilers faithful were trying to have it both ways: McDavid being out matters, but Demko being out doesn't matter.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
No actually. Despite you attempting to cloud the issue with inane irony, I was talking about McDavid playing injured, specifically. If Ryan McLeod was playing injured, maybe Demko's absence is more impactful.

Again, I'm not saying he's injured. I was speaking on the hypothetical. Like if he's legitimately hurt, and can't raise the puck or something
Are you seriously equating the impact of Demko and Ryan McLeod on a playoff series?

The Canucks have invested heavily in goaltending, not just in terms of draft and cap capital but in terms of coaching. So Silovs is doing well, but the notion that a healthy Demko isn't a huge upgrade - and wasn't universally considered a serious loss - is crazy.

Just seems like a silly downgrading of the actual major obstacle the Canucks have overcome, over the hypothetical injury of McDavid.

Reactions: I am toxic

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Indeed. I inserted myself to debate the notion that specifically, McDavid being injured is more impactful than a workhorse being out. If Demko was healthy and playing right now, and the Canucks lost this series, there would be a kneejerk reaction that he let in bad goals. We see it with every goalie. It's a fundamentally misunderstood position. It's an extremely important position, but the potential for a replacement level (up to that point in their career) goalie to perform to Demko's supposed level, is there, where as the potential for a forward playing to McDavid's level is not.

Why does the argument work for McDavid but no goalies?

Goalies play for the entire game while a skater would be insane to have half the ice time, the impact of a drop in quality in goaltender, thus, is more impactful.

Anyone can pick up a stick and hit a puck.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why does the argument work for McDavid but no goalies?

Goalies play for the entire game while a skater would be insane to have half the ice time, the impact of a drop in quality in goaltender, thus, is more impactful.

Anyone can pick up a stick and hit a puck.
Enjoy the rest of the series. Don't get to up or down based on the results, okay?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm beginning to question your reading comprehension. No I'm not equating them.
"If Ryan McLeod was playing injured, maybe Demko's absence is more impactful."

So, maybe Demko's absence would be more impactful than Ryan McLeod being injured. And I'm the one with comprehension issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad